Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #16
Hookie
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chambersburg, PA
Posts: 2,459
vCash: 500
Default Re: Could Anyone Beat Roy Jones MW-LHW?

Cruiser-

Holyfield, Qawi (again), DeLeon, Ocasio, Toney (yes, Toney), Al Cole, Robert Daniels, Bobby Czyz, Orlin Norris, Adolpho Washington (on a rare night when he was at his very best), Arthur Williams (during that short time when he was really good), Mormeck, Bell, Haye, Adamek, Cunningham, and a few others.

Heavyweight-

too many to list
Hookie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #17
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Memphis
Posts: 4,389
vCash: 462
Default Re: Could Anyone Beat Roy Jones MW-LHW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookie View Post
also Bernard Hopkins....

When Jones, won neither man had peaked. When Hopokins won, Hopkins was a bit past prime but Jones was washed up. They never met prime vs. prime... I say it's a close hard fought fight.
Prime Hopkins has nothing to offer Jones. He can't outmaneuver him. He can't out punch him. Prime Hopkins is a very good. A class fighter, but he doesn't have enough.
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #18
Hookie
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chambersburg, PA
Posts: 2,459
vCash: 500
Default Re: Could Anyone Beat Roy Jones MW-LHW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawJab View Post
He said he came down from 178-180 at the start of camp. He doesn't put the full 20 back on overnight. He likely came to the ring 170 or so.
I know he was 186 for one of his LHW title fights, can't remember the fight though.


199 for Ruiz but 193 right before the fight.
Hookie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #19
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Anyone Beat Roy Jones MW-LHW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawJab View Post
He said he came down from 178-180 at the start of camp. He doesn't put the full 20 back on overnight. He likely came to the ring 170 or so.
if thats' the case KO Artist really doesn't understand weight making and how big boxers at weight classes

Coming down from 180 for a 168 fight after 12 weeks of training, is nothing, you could do that on the same day for 168, boxers go down to 140 from that weight
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #20
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Anyone Beat Roy Jones MW-LHW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookie View Post
also Bernard Hopkins....

When Jones, won neither man had peaked. When Hopokins won, Hopkins was a bit past prime but Jones was washed up. They never met prime vs. prime... I say it's a close hard fought fight.
Hopkins not only ducked Jones prime for prime but also the washed up version in 2008
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #21
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Memphis
Posts: 4,389
vCash: 462
Default Re: Could Anyone Beat Roy Jones MW-LHW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
if thats' the case KO Artist really doesn't understand weight making and how big boxers at weight classes

Coming down from 180 for a 168 fight after 12 weeks of training, is nothing, you could do that on the same day for 168, boxers go down to 140 from that weight
Roy was talking about making 160, but your point is well taken.
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #22
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,422
vCash: 2666
Default Re: Could Anyone Beat Roy Jones MW-LHW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawJab View Post
He said he came down from 178-180 at the start of camp. He doesn't put the full 20 back on overnight. He likely came to the ring 170 or so.

I may have misinterpreted it

But Jones never mentions 'training camp', he says I would come from 178 sometimes 180 to make 160, and that's a tough thing to do and fight 12 rounds. Then he says, I would be alot bigger than guys, and alot faster, it's tough when it's fat, but I wasn't fat, I was just thick at 178 most of the time'

No mention of 178-180 at the start of training camp, watch it again
knockout artist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #23
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Memphis
Posts: 4,389
vCash: 462
Default Re: Could Anyone Beat Roy Jones MW-LHW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
I may have misinterpreted it

But Jones never mentions 'training camp', he says I would come from 178 sometimes 180 to make 160, and that's a tough thing to do and fight 12 rounds. Then he says, I would be alot bigger than guys, and alot faster, it's tough when it's fat, but I wasn't fat, I was just thick at 178 most of the time'

No mention of 178-180 at the start of training camp, watch it again
No, he didn't specifically say "training camp", but it's very easy to infer. He sure as hell isn't sweating out 20 lbs right before the fight. and he never said he was 180 in the ring, which is what you asserted at the start of this thread.
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #24
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,422
vCash: 2666
Default Re: Could Anyone Beat Roy Jones MW-LHW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawJab View Post
No, he didn't specifically say "training camp", but it's very easy to infer. He sure as hell isn't sweating out 20 lbs right before the fight. and he never said he was 180 in the ring, which is what you asserted at the start of this thread.

As I said, I may have misinterpreted his comment

But he says he was 'never fat, he was just thick at 178 most of the time'

He never said he was 180 at the start 'training camp' which is what you inferred

Can't really say either way without something more substantial I guess
knockout artist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #25
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Memphis
Posts: 4,389
vCash: 462
Default Re: Could Anyone Beat Roy Jones MW-LHW?

No one is denying Roy was a big MW...which he was. He struggled to make the weight for Hopkins in his first title shot. What we are arguing is that he was 180 in the ring, which nearly impossible. No fighter puts on all the weight they cut during camp over night. That's not healthy.
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #26
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,422
vCash: 2666
Default Re: Could Anyone Beat Roy Jones MW-LHW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawJab View Post
No one is denying Roy was a big MW...which he was. He struggled to make the weight for Hopkins in his first title shot. What we are arguing is that he was 180 in the ring, which nearly impossible. No fighter puts on all the weight they cut during camp over night. That's not healthy.
Yeah Roy was huge for the weight, it's not an insult or anything, if anything it makes him that much harder to beat at MW because as he says, he was always bigger than the guys he was facing, add that to his speed and skills

He said he was at '178 most of the time'. You may well be right, I'm just going off what he said

Fighters can drop that kind of weight, I wonder what Julio Cesar Chavez jr comes into the ring weighing?
knockout artist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #27
Quick Cash
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 564
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Anyone Beat Roy Jones MW-LHW?

Roy admitted to weighing 180 on the night against Hopkins. He said as much while commentating for HBO.
Quick Cash is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #28
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,422
vCash: 2666
Default Re: Could Anyone Beat Roy Jones MW-LHW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Cash View Post
Roy admitted to weighing 180 on the night against Hopkins. He said as much while commentating for HBO.


Yeah, found that he said this himself commentating for HBO on Hopkins' defence against Simon Brown

So Jones did come into the ring weighing close to 180 when fighting as a MW
knockout artist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #29
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London,England
Posts: 9,227
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Anyone Beat Roy Jones MW-LHW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VG_Addict View Post
Is there anyone from MW to LHW that could beat a prime Roy Jones, or at the very least, give him a tough fight?

Sugar Ray Robinson
Carlos Monzon
Marvin Hagler
Sugar Ray Leonard (on the night he beat Hagler)
Thomas Hearns

To name a few.

Last edited by Stevie G; 09-05-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #30
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
Posts: 10,232
vCash: 1040
Default Re: Could Anyone Beat Roy Jones MW-LHW?

Keep in mind that Jones was some what inexperanced as a middleweight. He dose have the skills to beat anyone at 160-200.

At 160 I'd pick Carlos Monzon over anyone. I think Fights against Ray Robinson, James Toney and Mike McCallum are 50/50 fights.
I'd favor Jones over Ray Leonard and Thomas Hearns, but I can also see both beating him. I think he beats Marvin Hagler. I don't know enough about [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

At 168. There is no one who would beat him. He easly beat James Toney who is the only guy with a real chance at beating Jones. I'd like to see how Andre Ward devlopes.

At 175 I think a match up with Roy Jones and Ezzard Charles would be instering. Bob foster is tall and has power.
ripcity is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013