Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #31
FastHands(beeb)
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Roy Jones Jr. vs. Ken Norton...

I think Norton would win by KO but maybe have to come from behind on the cards to do it...

Norton by KO in the second minute of round 1!
FastHands(beeb) is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #32
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I love Roy. Norton would waste him.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #33
salty trunks
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Butcher View Post
There`s always one

It doesn`t matter how ridiculous the thread is that gets made, there is always at least one guy who is on planet zircon
Well I would pick Norton too, but I think because of the styles Jones would have a chance to land something and hurt Norton. Doesnt matter what Ali and Holmes werent able to do, Norton could be hurt by quick punches. Norton was down quite a bit in his career. Knocked out by a smaller guy and blown out by quite a few powerpunching heavies.
salty trunks is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #34
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Only remember Norton being blasted out by humongous punchers bar the one occasion.

Roy has never stopped anyone over 200lbs.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #35
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty trunks View Post
Well I would pick Norton too, but I think because of the styles Jones would have a chance to land something and hurt Norton. Doesnt matter what Ali and Holmes werent able to do, Norton could be hurt by quick punches. Norton was down quite a bit in his career. Knocked out by a smaller guy and blown out by quite a few powerpunching heavies.
If quite a few is 3, then I can see where you're coming from more. He was blown out by Foreman (who was blowing everyone out at that time and is one of the top 2 hardest punchers ever), blown out by Shavers (one of the top 2, most likely the hardest, punchers ever), and Cooney (whose left hook packed more raw power than almost any other fighter's punches in history).

It wasn't really the quick punches that got to Norton, as was shown in the Ali and Holmes fights. It was more the hugely powerful punches that froze him up and the said punchers unloaded on him to knock him out. Jones wasn't the puncher that guys like Ali or Holmes were at heavy, and certainly couldn't dream of being strong or hard punching as Foreman, Shavers, or Cooney.

If you're going to question Norton's chin, then you must question Jones's chin too, because he got blown out in brutal fashion more times than Norton did. He got blown out by people who didn't hit as hard, weren't as strong, and arguably weren't any better than Norton was.

We all know that Norton didn't have a chin of granite, but let's be real, if his chin was half as bad as it's starting to be seen as, he would've been blown out in almost every fight.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #36
salty trunks
Contender
ESB Senior Member

If Norton landed on jones I would think he would put him in the upper level but Jones was very quick. Not to make a monster out of Ruiz but he was probably as big as Norton and definitely more awkward. It would have been nice to see jones fight Holyfield instead of Ruiz but nothing should surprise anyone about Jones. His fall from grace was fast and furious but he was something I've never seen in boxing when he was at his best. jones could have faced Norton and Ruiz at LH.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #37
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

I'd say Norton was way more awkward than basic John Ruiz. His cross armed defence makes him an odd enough opponent for Roy to approach, his arching overhand right the kinda' shot to catch someone with a low slung left hand.

And Roy's reflexes against Ruiz were not quite as cat like as in the lower weights.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #38
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
If Norton landed on jones I would think he would put him in the upper level but Jones was very quick. Not to make a monster out of Ruiz but he was probably as big as Norton and definitely more awkward. It would have been nice to see jones fight Holyfield instead of Ruiz but nothing should surprise anyone about Jones. His fall from grace was fast and furious but he was something I've never seen in boxing when he was at his best. jones could have faced Norton and Ruiz at LH.
Norton was better conditioned, smarter, stronger, and had better punch selection than Ruiz. He specialized in beating the speedy boxers. His good jab, brutal body shots, and hard left hook and over hand right enabled him to work his way without getting tagged hard much yet at the same time put in his own good work.

I just see nothing Jones could really do beat Norton.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2012, 12:20 AM   #39
Sangria
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Jab: Ruiz
Left hook: Ruiz
Overhand right: Ruiz
Work rate: Ruiz
Durability: Toss-up
Power: Ruiz
Speed: Ruiz
Stamina: Ruiz
Uppercut: Ruiz
Body work: Ruiz
Ruiz: Ruiz
Norton: Ruiz
Clinching: Norton
Dirty fighting: Norton or draw
Sangria is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2012, 02:06 AM   #40
Hookie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The guy who's 6'3" with an 80" reach and very ripped at about 220 Lbs.

Norton had good overall skills, a good jab, good stamina... and he showed it going the distance with the likes of Ali x3, Holmes, and Young among others. Jones doesn't have the size, strength, or punching power to bother Norton.

Jones does have good speed, accuracy, and defense. Would it be enough? Could Jones handle a few good shots from Norton?

Norton was a better boxer than Ruiz and he had more power. He'd land more punches than Ruiz did on Jones and they'd be harder.

Norton by late round stoppage in a good fight.
Hookie is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #41
salty trunks
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Jones as a LH spent many of his training camps sparring Alfred Cole who was probably comparable in size to Norton but certainly not as good. Point being the idea of Jones just getting run over because of the size diff is false.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #42
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Not as good or as dangerous a fighter as Norton as you say.

And sparring isn't the same.

Again, which fighters weighing over 200lbs has Roy stopped?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #43
salty trunks
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Not as good or as dangerous a fighter as Norton as you say.

And sparring isn't the same.

Again, which fighters weighing over 200lbs has Roy stopped?
When you spar a heavyweight you get more comfortable with the size and strength. He only faced one as a pro, so how do you judge? Ruiz was proven to be pretty tough after the Tua fight. He really adapted to an awkward defensive grappling style and Jones stung him pretty good if I remember correctly.

Jones didnt even need to move up to heavyweight weight to fight at heavy, he should have stayed around 180 and used his speed.

IMO, Jones would have beat the shit out of a 240 pound Hasim Rahman who was slow as a sloth. Jones' deal was speed and the ability not to get hit and he could have boxed circles around Rahman. Ruiz happened to be pretty quick for a heavy with his jab and righthand and he still couldnt find the mark on Jones so I think he would have done well with bigger slower guys, but if the power was landed he would have been knocked out. Jones wasnt even a particularly big LH so even at that weight had guys landed on him he would have been in trouble. Light hitting Lou DelValle probably landed the best shot on Jones prior to Tarver taking him out and Jones was hurt badly but got up and got his shit together, but it just showed that Jones could be flattened if he was hit cleanly, but it rarely if ever happened prior to that fight.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #44
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Yeah I know all about Jones, my point is if you can't judge him off one fight at heavy how can you judge him to beat a heavyweight of Norton's calibre? Surely the door swings both ways?

Also, I agree there are guys he could outmanoeuvre; I do not agree he could take out Norton.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #45
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
When you spar a heavyweight you get more comfortable with the size and strength. He only faced one as a pro, so how do you judge? Ruiz was proven to be pretty tough after the Tua fight. He really adapted to an awkward defensive grappling style and Jones stung him pretty good if I remember correctly.

Jones didnt even need to move up to heavyweight weight to fight at heavy, he should have stayed around 180 and used his speed.

IMO, Jones would have beat the shit out of a 240 pound Hasim Rahman who was slow as a sloth. Jones' deal was speed and the ability not to get hit and he could have boxed circles around Rahman. Ruiz happened to be pretty quick for a heavy with his jab and righthand and he still couldnt find the mark on Jones so I think he would have done well with bigger slower guys, but if the power was landed he would have been knocked out. Jones wasnt even a particularly big LH so even at that weight had guys landed on him he would have been in trouble. Light hitting Lou DelValle probably landed the best shot on Jones prior to Tarver taking him out and Jones was hurt badly but got up and got his shit together, but it just showed that Jones could be flattened if he was hit cleanly, but it rarely if ever happened prior to that fight.
Yes, Jones specialized in beating the slow, ponderous guys who would fling single hail mary shots at him. Norton is not one of those guys. Norton had trouble with the massively powerful and hard hitting guys that forced him backwards when he didn't want to go back. Jones would not be able to do that to Norton. Just as Jones specialized in picking apart the slow guys, Norton specialized in landing big punches on the quicker and evasive guys.

Norton is a terrible, terrible match up for Roy at heavyweight and P4P.
Bill1234 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum