boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #76
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 748
vCash: 500
Default Re: Old school training routines seem to be the simplest and most effective!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsm View Post
Some of the bad information that gets thrown out from some of the best clubs is ridiculous. The 'best' club in my city has told plenty of their boxers to starve themselves to make weight; telling young teenagers to starve themselves in absolutely moronic advice and is dangerous advice. No doubt derived from some of the ridiculous 'old school' ****. IMO trainers have a duty to at least have a basic understanding of physiology when training kids.
You are generalizing and making blanket statement why is it wrong for me to do it and so right when you do it. Hmmmmm.........!

If you read another thread I started you will find the reason I first came on this forum. I have a welter who was 17yrs old, who had a S&C guy. The kid weighed 145pds, so this knowledgable S&C guy who had a basic understanding of physiology suggested the kid could make 140pds. The kid is growing, when he is 25yrs and weighing 145 then maybe. My question at that time was "Are S&C guys neccessary?". Now I am convinced, not really.

You never answered my question are you a boxer? A S&C coach? Are you an amateur or pro? Or maybe a wannabe
dempsey1234 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #77
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,452
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Old school training routines seem to be the simplest and most effective!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dempsey1234 View Post
I have to ask just curious, are you or Brown Bomber, amateur or pro boxers, S&C coaches, your answer will tell it all.

I am a licensed manager, and I am trying to learn something about training. Not that I am trying to be a trainer, just for my own knowledge.

One of my fighters recently fought for the world title so I have a little experience in boxing. My guy lost a clear decison to a P4P champion. I primarily deal with Mexican fighters, all have a promotional from one of the biggest promotional companies in the world of boxing. So, I do my job as a manager. Now, since I have 3 undefeated teenage fighters I am trying to educate myself as to what is what in training.

On my way to expand my mind I was ambushed by crazed S&C guys calling me an idiot, a ****, and ignorant, jeez you would think they were trying to hurt my feelings.
I'm a pro fighter and a personal trainer. And a boxing coach. What's that got to do with anything? You don't sound like you've come to learn anything, you've come to find someone who agrees with what your saying.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #78
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North East, England.
Posts: 1,093
vCash: 1947
Default Re: Old school training routines seem to be the simplest and most effective!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dempsey1234 View Post
You are generalizing and making blanket statement why is it wrong for me to do it and so right when you do it. Hmmmmm.........!

If you read another thread I started you will find the reason I first came on this forum. I have a welter who was 17yrs old, who had a S&C guy. The kid weighed 145pds, so this knowledgable S&C guy who had a basic understanding of physiology suggested the kid could make 140pds. The kid is growing, when he is 25yrs and weighing 145 then maybe. My question at that time was "Are S&C guys neccessary?". Now I am convinced, not really.

You never answered my question are you a boxer? A S&C coach? Are you an amateur or pro? Or maybe a wannabe
No I'm not, I'm speaking of advice that coaches of a specific club have given, I know not all coaches are giving that advice.

To answer your question, I boxed amateur, studying exercise sciences at degree level and train people also.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #79
highguard
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 880
vCash: 500
Default Re: Old school training routines seem to be the simplest and most effective!

i can see both sides of the argument,

but WHY CANT PEOPLE SEE THIS


old school guys(insert legend's name) fought other old school guys(insert legend's name)
both sides did not have S & C guys,


SO

you cant tell me "ohh look this or that legend did not use S & C coaches and he did great....its a stupid argument
because he never fought a guy who did have one....
so you dont know if he would great or badly
highguard is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #80
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 748
vCash: 500
Default Re: Old school training routines seem to be the simplest and most effective!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
I'm a pro fighter and a personal trainer. And a boxing coach. What's that got to do with anything? You don't sound like you've come to learn anything, you've come to find someone who agrees with what your saying.
I did at first but then my mind was changed for me. I have gone through every single thread in this blog. For the most part it has been helpful educating myself.
Maybe you can tell me why old school is full of bad ideas and hardly anything good.
dempsey1234 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #81
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,749
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Old school training routines seem to be the simplest and most effective!

Principals of movement as we know them, was established, over 300 years ago. Nothing much, has altered.
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #82
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,210
vCash: 500
Default Re: Old school training routines seem to be the simplest and most effective!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dempsey1234 View Post
I did at first but then my mind was changed for me. I have gone through every single thread in this blog. For the most part it has been helpful educating myself.
Maybe you can tell me why old school is full of bad ideas and hardly anything good.
Old school isn't some separate set of ideas, it's the training from when people knew less than they do know. Of course some ideas stick and are still used but understanding advances so we know how to manipulate training variables to get certain benefits that 'old school' trainers might have only achieved by accident sometimes.
In the world we live and learn, every field advances. If you want to get your fighter to a higher level of fitness and strength because you think they need it then hire a S+C coach, they'll do a better job than a boxing trainer if they have a brain. Since boxing doesn't require elite strength or endurance you can probably get by without one.
At least know how to apply plyometrics for your fighter if anything. Also that S+C guy recommending your fighter to drop a weight class wasn't doing his job, that's a nutritionists job and he had no place telling you that. That's your bad for listening to him about something he's not qualified on. You're looking for right and wrong answers, sweeping generalisations. If you weren't a dumb**** you'd realise it only matters what YOUR fighter needs.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:15 PM   #83
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,210
vCash: 500
Default Re: Old school training routines seem to be the simplest and most effective!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s**** View Post
Principals of movement as we know them, was established, over 300 years ago. Nothing much, has altered.
Well obviously, we're still **** sapiens and the laws of physics haven't changed. Most people don't even understand the importance of tendons in all movements, boxing coaches sure as hell don't understand about neuromuscular adaptations.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #84
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 748
vCash: 500
Default Re: Old school training routines seem to be the simplest and most effective!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
Old school isn't some separate set of ideas, it's the training from when people knew less than they do know. Of course some ideas stick and are still used but understanding advances so we know how to manipulate training variables to get certain benefits that 'old school' trainers might have only achieved by accident sometimes.
In the world we live and learn, every field advances. If you want to get your fighter to a higher level of fitness and strength because you think they need it then hire a S+C coach, they'll do a better job than a boxing trainer if they have a brain. Since boxing doesn't require elite strength or endurance you can probably get by without one.
At least know how to apply plyometrics for your fighter if anything. Also that S+C guy recommending your fighter to drop a weight class wasn't doing his job, that's a nutritionists job and he had no place telling you that. That's your bad for listening to him about something he's not qualified on. You're looking for right and wrong answers, sweeping generalisations. If you weren't a dumb**** you'd realise it only matters what YOUR fighter needs.
OMG, and you say I am a dumb****. Do you actually believe what you write?

I have to ask you, are you naturally stupid or do you work at it?

I can tell you dont know anything about the real world, or boxing you either are a half ass S&C guy, maybe boxed a little and had bad experience's with other wanna-be's like yourself.
dempsey1234 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:04 AM   #85
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North East, England.
Posts: 1,093
vCash: 1947
Default Re: Old school training routines seem to be the simplest and most effective!

These things need be approached from more than simply a mechanistic standpoint. "Are S&C necessary?" No, ofcourse they aren't necessary, but that doesn't mean they can't be beneficial given the individual circumstances.

With certain fighters a good S&C may improve them from a purely physiological point of view, but at the point of their career it may not be worth playing with all of the other variables; so in certain instances can they actually be a bad choice? I'd say so.

As I mentioned, I really believe these things need be approached very individually.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:05 AM   #86
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,452
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Old school training routines seem to be the simplest and most effective!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dempsey1234 View Post
I did at first but then my mind was changed for me. I have gone through every single thread in this blog. For the most part it has been helpful educating myself.
Maybe you can tell me why old school is full of bad ideas and hardly anything good.
boring troll
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:24 AM   #87
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,210
vCash: 500
Default Re: Old school training routines seem to be the simplest and most effective!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dempsey1234 View Post
OMG, and you say I am a dumb****. Do you actually believe what you write?

I have to ask you, are you naturally stupid or do you work at it?

I can tell you dont know anything about the real world, or boxing you either are a half ass S&C guy, maybe boxed a little and had bad experience's with other wanna-be's like yourself.
Tell me one thing I'm wrong about. Go
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:30 AM   #88
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,749
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Old school training routines seem to be the simplest and most effective!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
Well obviously, we're still **** sapiens and the laws of physics haven't changed. Most people don't even understand the importance of tendons in all movements, boxing coaches sure as hell don't understand about neuromuscular adaptations.
As the Person told Me while discussing the Subject, 98% of people think they know, 2% do, I thought the 2%, was a bit High
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #89
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,210
vCash: 500
Default Re: Old school training routines seem to be the simplest and most effective!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s**** View Post
As the Person told Me while discussing the Subject, 98% of people think they know, 2% do, I thought the 2%, was a bit High
I'm with you on that.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #90
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 748
vCash: 500
Default Re: Old school training routines seem to be the simplest and most effective!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
boring troll

You have a way with words, boring troll Ha ha ha or for you new and improved 21st century devotees LOL
dempsey1234 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015