Boxing News 24 Forum
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #31
Jacquot
Cruiserweight Paper Champ
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 255
vCash: 500
Default Re: Most inteligent heavyweight champions

Lewis and Holmes. Holmes did very well in business and still has all of his money from his career.

Many ways to measure this of course, but I've always held Holmes in high regard just for the fact that he wasn't an idiot with his money.
Jacquot is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #32
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8,697
vCash: 1166
Default Re: Most inteligent heavyweight champions

I read somewhere years ago that Calvin Brock was a very intelligent guy....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #33
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sea of Tranquility
Posts: 13,409
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Most inteligent heavyweight champions

**** all the talk about his commentaries....Lewis just comes across, for all the world, like an articulate, intelligent guy. He's well spoken, and like it's been pointed out already, with none of the stupid, self destructive, thuggish and violent tendencies that so many other fighters have exhibited. He limited his violence to the ring.
red cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #34
Maximus
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,435
vCash: 505
Default Re: Most inteligent heavyweight champions

Oh God, a Klittard escaped the General forum. Apologies gentleman, we will try to ensure it never happens again.

For the record, Ali gets my vote. Smart in the ring and his verbal skills were beyond most orators, and how many Heavyweights could go onto chat shows and discuss politics and current affairs like he did?
Maximus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #35
Andrei00
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Romania
Posts: 373
vCash: 460
Default Re: Most inteligent heavyweight champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Oh God, a Klittard escaped the General forum. Apologies gentleman, we will try to ensure it never happens again.

For the record, Ali gets my vote. Smart in the ring and his verbal skills were beyond most orators, and how many Heavyweights could go onto chat shows and discuss politics and current affairs like he did?
It's hard for me to consider a 'blind believer' like Ali intelligent, but I'll give him credit for being one of the smartest heavyweights in the ring.
Andrei00 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #36
Maximus
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,435
vCash: 505
Default Re: Most inteligent heavyweight champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei00 View Post
It's hard for me to consider a 'blind believer' like Ali intelligent, but I'll give him credit for being one of the smartest heavyweights in the ring.
You're right about the religion stuff of course, but then if I was born with Ali's skills, I'd probably believe that some higher power had to have made me. I still maintain that he showed enough intelligence outside the ring to blow everyone else away though.
Maximus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #37
BUDW
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,094
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Most inteligent heavyweight champions

Max Schmeling
Gene Tunney
Jack Dempsey
Rocky

Look how they did after boxing
BUDW is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:21 AM   #38
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,363
vCash: 1551
Default Re: Most inteligent heavyweight champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeLloyd View Post
Lennox LEWIS to this day is still worth 150+ Million dollars.

He might not have the best commendatory skills and sometimes fumble with words, but he is a genius with money.

Lewis = 150 Million. No bad habits, no addictions, did not waste anything.

That is what intelligent means to me.

Floyd is rich now, but trust me just like the rest he will be broke. Lewis is one of the few exceptions that kept his money and that alone elevates him
Mostly this.
His ring IQ was very high too, especially later in his career.
dyna is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:54 AM   #39
Danmann
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,110
vCash: 500
Default Re: Most inteligent heavyweight champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Holmes? I would say Tunney, both Klitshcko's, Johnson, Schmeling, and maybe Lewis.
Schmeling, good pick! I forgot him, guy built up a business, became one of richest men in Germany. Was smart in ring, and out of it.
Danmann is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #40
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,629
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Most inteligent heavyweight champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
**** all the talk about his commentaries....Lewis just comes across, for all the world, like an articulate, intelligent guy. He's well spoken, and like it's been pointed out already, with none of the stupid, self destructive, thuggish and violent tendencies that so many other fighters have exhibited. He limited his violence to the ring.
I'd say that's down to culture and upbringing. Lennox clearly has a close relationship with a strong mother who instilled strong values, standards and behaviours in him

I like him allot but I'm not sure I'd consider Lennox highly intelligent, he doesn't come across that way to me when listening to him talk or his ring craft either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeLloyd View Post
Lennox LEWIS to this day is still worth 150+ Million dollars.

He might not have the best commendatory skills and sometimes fumble with words, but he is a genius with money.

Lewis = 150 Million. No bad habits, no addictions, did not waste anything.

That is what intelligent means to me.

Floyd is rich now, but trust me just like the rest he will be broke. Lewis is one of the few exceptions that kept his money and that alone elevates him
Being successful in business and organising your finances doesn't necessarily make you intelligent. It makes you business savy, it requires some intelligence but not a great level of intellect
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #41
Quick Cash
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 568
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Most inteligent heavyweight champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnite, Irene View Post
How is a person born with skills?

Ali wasn't stupid, but he was by no means this wise head he is usually painted as. He was fast-talking & quick-witted. That is usually mistaken as proof of being intelligent, when it alone isn't.
I agree. There have been plenty of boxers more intelligent. Ali was charismatic. Some are quick to point to that as proof of intellectual ability; and it is, after a fashion. But I don't personally feel that he was exceptionally smart. His talent lays in the delivery. His actual word were often extracted from memory, and not improvised.
Quick Cash is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #42
Quick Cash
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 568
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Most inteligent heavyweight champions

1. Tunney
2. Johnson
3. Schmeling
4. W. Klitschko
5. Lewis
6. Corbett
Quick Cash is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #43
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,629
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Most inteligent heavyweight champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Cash View Post
I agree. There have been plenty of boxers more intelligent. Ali was charismatic. Some are quick to point to that as proof of intellectual ability; and it is, after a fashion. But I don't personally feel that he was exceptionally smart. His talent lays in the delivery. His actual word were often extracted from memory, and not improvised.
There are different forms of intelligence and the ability to deliver speeches, wit, poetry and eloquently so are certainly a form of intellect. Logic and maths are a form of intellect too but the best mathematical minds tend to have weak communication skills
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #44
Quick Cash
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 568
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Most inteligent heavyweight champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
There are different forms of intelligence and the ability to deliver speeches, wit, poetry and eloquently so are certainly a form of intellect. Logic and maths are a form of intellect too but the best mathematical minds tend to have weak communication skills
I understand that. Ali was unconventionally gifted, but perhaps not on the level of the six I named above. I credit his incredible wit, but he's not what he's being made out to be. If we broaden the criteria, it would not shock to see even introspective men like Norton or Moore above him.
Quick Cash is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #45
Squire
Never Truly Lost
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: South Korea
Posts: 4,529
vCash: 7213
Default Re: Most inteligent heavyweight champions

Foreman stands out for me. He comes across as a pretty wise person

Klitschkos, obviously. 4 languages, PhDs and from a business point of view they aren't doing too badly with boxing. When did K2 start? About the right time I imagine. All of their big football stadium fights have been K2 promotions. I don't put them forward as a fanboy either, in this case. These are some of the qualities that earned my respect in the first place

Lewis I'm not so sure about but he's no mug, that's for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Muhammad Ali,like a lot of people,may not have been intelligent in an ACADEMIC sense,but proved to be among one of the most astute in and out of the ring. That is a form of intelligence.
Didn't he get taken for a ride by those Nation of Islam guys?
Squire is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015