sadlittleboy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tony "Boring" Bellew

Quote:
Originally Posted by glue glove View Post
Why the hate?

Bellew fought a proven world-level banger, you don't go rushing in. The McKenzie fight proved this.
...a world-level banger? Maybe at 160 but certainly not at 175.
sadlittleboy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #47
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadonna Kool View Post
Give me another 5 months, and i will call out Tony Bellew....

Seriously he is drained at the weight, he should move up to the CW division. It's a better division right about now, and there are bigger fights like Huck!

He will be much stronger at CW! the CW division has potential to be the best division on the planet.
Personality wise Tony is much like Audley, I can see why you are enjoying the thread Mr kool
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #48
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Ma Lopez View Post
F!xed fight
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #49
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty View Post
Its a strange one, now Im not saying that SKY should suck up to & cover up for to their fighters, its just that they normally do, & it came as a shock to hear Glenn sounding like he wanted to get into the ring & fight Tony himself he seemed so irked by Bellews 'antics'
Especially that comment after Bellew walked away from Miranda instead of pressing the advantage to which McRory said something along the lines of, "If Bellew loses tonight hes going to regret THAT moment for a VERY LONG TIME"

Completely mental stuff, as I thought Bellew was winning at a canter! Adam & Glen having it just about even at the half way stage... it was all just a bit strange....
You and I rarely agree, but as I said elsewhere, the Sky team were watching a very different fight to me. I had Tony up 8-1 by the stoppage and it was looking like he was stepping on the gas.

Yes, the walking away was weird, but you'd have sworn McCrory thought it was a personal affront.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #50
SuspiciousChees
Contender
ESB Senior Member

IF he was World Class he would have gotten rid of that shot version of Miranda with ease within 6 rounds max. Like all the other World Class fighters have, Pavlik, Abraham, Ward. Who fought him younger and at his prime weights.

Bellew is not World Class, I don't think he will beat any of the belt holders.
SuspiciousChees is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #51
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuspiciousChees View Post
IF he was World Class he would have gotten rid of that shot version of Miranda with ease within 6 rounds max. Like all the other World Class fighters have, Pavlik, Abraham, Ward. Who fought him younger and at his prime weights.

Bellew is not World Class, I don't think he will beat any of the belt holders.
Wow...

Abraham went to a decision first time. Ward also went 12 and never once looked like stopping the Colombian. Check your facts.

Sure he's older, but he's not that different to the guy Ward outboxed. Bellew outboxed and stopped him without resorting to clinching or fouling.

If beating Miranda announced Ward was ready to step up (and the performances weren't dissimilar actually), then I think it does the same for Bellew.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #52
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
You and I rarely agree, but as I said elsewhere, the Sky team were watching a very different fight to me. I had Tony up 8-1 by the stoppage and it was looking like he was stepping on the gas.

Yes, the walking away was weird, but you'd have sworn McCrory thought it was a personal affront.
Exactly dftaylor, its good to know that there are still some old skool sensible heads in here

Now before anyone thinks Im a Bellew fan? Or stick up for him cos he posts here? He means nothing to me. Not in a bad way, but my passion is scottish boxers, the rest can take a back seat! So my opionion is utterly neutral on the matter, but Smith & McCrory gave the guy a raw deal IMO.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #53
SuspiciousChees
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Wow...

Abraham went to a decision first time. Ward also went 12 and never once looked like stopping the Colombian. Check your facts.

Sure he's older, but he's not that different to the guy Ward outboxed. Bellew outboxed and stopped him without resorting to clinching or fouling.

If beating Miranda announced Ward was ready to step up (and the performances weren't dissimilar actually), then I think it does the same for Bellew.
I said this version of Miranda, the 2006 version was a beast. This version was pathetic. 10 punches a round, gassed after 6. Quit after 9. Completely shot fighter.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #54
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
I said this version of Miranda, the 2006 version was a beast. This version was pathetic. 10 punches a round, gassed after 6. Quit after 9. Completely shot fighter.
The only prime Miranda was the one that was hammering c-listers until Pavlik flattened him in seven rounds. Every time he's stepped up he's been beaten. The version that Ward fought is broadly similar to this version - he's not shot because he can still get his punches off, etc and stop lesser guys. But Tony deserves the same credit Ward does IMO for that performance.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #55
SuspiciousChees
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Ward never stops anyone.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #56
SuspiciousChees
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
The only prime Miranda was the one that was hammering c-listers until Pavlik flattened him in seven rounds. Every time he's stepped up he's been beaten. The version that Ward fought is broadly similar to this version - he's not shot because he can still get his punches off, etc and stop lesser guys. But Tony deserves the same credit Ward does IMO for that performance.
Look at his work rate and the way he quit, he is completely done.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #57
MIK1000
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty View Post
This thread just proves that commentators have a huge sway in how the public perceive a fight they are watching, for some reason McCrory was sticking the knife into Bellew at every opportunity, slaughtering him for fighting a smart fight & nullifying a man who only has ever had a big punch and not much else, & as a result threads like these appear.

If Glenn hadnt been against Bellew from the word go, you can bet there would have hardly have been a mention about that being a negative performance on this forum

Bellew must have been hearing the taunts, cos Adam said at the end of the 8th Tony gave Glenn a 'look' as he went back to his corner

Im not used to the SKY team giving one of 'their own' a grilling like that during a fight, especially after they were all on Purdys dick for his win beforehand! Can anyone tell me why they were 'anti' Bellew(IMO) tonight???
Very true post Dunky mate, commentators can say one thing and it will be projected on here by a whole bunch of posters despite it being far from the truth.

I would have rather watched that fight than 90 percent of the others on Sky sports. It was clean, no holding and lots of clean shots being exchanged. Bellew's jab is fantastic, it was beautiful to watch him pierce Miranda with it at times. Sure he didn't always follow up with his attacks which was slightly frustrating but at least we got a good 9 rounds of boxing as opposed to say 4.

Sometimes the commentator just gets the wrong end of the stick and people go away from the fight thinking exactly what they've just been told.
MIK1000 is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #58
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Look at his work rate and the way he quit, he is completely done.
Trying to prove your point when you've already shown you didn't do your research properly. If you've watched Miranda over the last few years, he isn't much different. He's never been very good, he was just popular and notorious briefly.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #59
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

It was a nervy, frustrating fight at times for me but now it's all done, I can recognise that Tony's performance was good and controlled. He neutralised a threatening opponent in Miranda (who had more to offer than I'd thought beforehand) and it's definitely a step forward.
JFT96 is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #60
SuspiciousChees
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Trying to prove your point when you've already shown you didn't do your research properly. If you've watched Miranda over the last few years, he isn't much different. He's never been very good, he was just popular and notorious briefly.
I think he is quite different. He broke Abrahams jaw in 2006 and was a close fight. Now he is out of his weight and shot, now lost around 4 of his last 5 fights.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum