Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Arturo Gatti Vs Lucas Matthysse,whou got

I don't get carried away easily, but were i a matchmaker,I would get Arturo Gatti and Lucas Matthysse together both in primes 140 pounds...Oh my...
So I'm taking bets...
burt bienstock is online now  Top
Old 09-10-2012, 12:09 AM   #2
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166
Default Re: Arturo Gatti Vs Lucas Matthysse,whou got

Matthysse...he is more skilled IMO. Would use his body punches and combinations to stop Gatti late.....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Damn, Bert, was yesterday the first time you wached a contemporary fight since Bob Baker?

For all the naysaying about the state of the sport, yesterday we had a nice action fight at heavywieght, a superior iron man affair with Matthysse and a Masters class from Ward. Not bad for a dead sport.
Seamus is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2012, 01:00 AM   #4
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Damn, Bert, was yesterday the first time you wached a contemporary fight since Bob Baker?

For all the naysaying about the state of the sport, yesterday we had a nice action fight at heavywieght, a superior iron man affair with Matthysse and a Masters class from Ward. Not bad for a dead sport.
S, can't you be civil to me even when I just pose a thread ? For your darn information I watch every fight on HBO and Showtime and ESPN...I admire many, many great fighers of today and the recent past too numerous to name...There were no supermen in my era , the 1940s and 1950s, but by virtue of the fact that there were at least 10 times the amount of pro fighters, fighting very often against a deep pool of contenders with only 8 championship belts, it is common sense for me to say that there were much better fighters in my era than now...So S, try to respond to my thread
I posed, that's all...
P.S. If you want to play the game of who was better the fighters in my era, against your era , pose YOUR thread and I will repond starting with Joe Louis, Ray Robinson, Willie Pep, Archie Moore, Ezzard Charles, Ike Williams, Kd Gavilan etc..What say you S ?
Old 09-10-2012, 01:06 AM   #5
Sister Sledge
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Mathysse. Gatti, while good, was not a top fighter. He was exciting, but he was beatable. Lucas seems to be on a higher rung than Arturo.
Sister Sledge is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2012, 01:28 AM   #6
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Gatti was not an elite level fighter.

Even taking into account the era, Matthysse is a level above. Gatti makes it exciting because he's so game, but he doesn't make it particularly interesting.

Matthysse by late stoppage in a violent battering.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2012, 01:30 AM   #7
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

What's up Burt? I am a big Gatti fan, he could box for about maybe 2 rounds before Matthysse lures him into a war, hurts him a few times, and forces a doctor stoppage in the late rounds. Too big and strong, and too good really.

Would be fun while it last though guaranteed, RIP Arturo
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2012, 05:16 AM   #8
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Matthysse has the boxing brain of a Chavez or a Monzon, very calculating and analysing his opponent. Gatti has the boxing brain of a Rocky movie, ie he fights on emotion with no analysis of his opponent with his chin hanging out. Gatti maybe a better puncher, stronger with faster hands but because of the difference in ring smarts Matthysse would dissect Gatti and it wouldn't be too close imo

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
..I admire many, many great fighers of today and the recent past too numerous to name.?
Who are your faves of today Burt? Who were your faves of the 90s?
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #9
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Matthysse has the boxing brain of a Chavez or a Monzon, very calculating and analysing his opponent. Gatti has the boxing brain of a Rocky movie, ie he fights on emotion with no analysis of his opponent with his chin hanging out. Gatti maybe a better puncher, stronger with faster hands but because of the difference in ring smarts Matthysse would dissect Gatti and it wouldn't be too close imo

Purely on their style and talents so many come to mind, but a few
In amazing ability, Roy Jones was one alongst Mathew Franklin, my very favourite was Alexis Arguello who gives any FW in history hell and for his
demeanor and CLASS...Joe Frazier, Chuvalo for his bravery in and out of the RING. Lucas Matthyse, as tough as any 140 pounder in the 1940s, Julio Caesar Chavez SR., all the great Mexican featherweights of recent past. I like Ward who is a terrific 168 lb fighter, very intelligent...So many more
that are terrific and would have fit in with my era the 1940s...
Old 09-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
Xplosive
Champion
East Side Guru

Anybody that picks Gatti is overrating him big time. Gatti would get brutalized.

Matthyse TKO 6.
Xplosive is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
Xplosive
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post

Whoa! I wouldn't go that far.

I'm a Matthyse fan, but his ring IQ is nowhere near Chavez or Monzon.

BUT...... his ring IQ is a WAAAYYY higher than Gatti's.

Arturo was one of the dumbest fighters of all time. He tried to BOX with Floyd for Christ sake. Not that it would have mattered. He would have gotten slaughtered regardless of his strategy. But him trying to box with Floyd was one of the dumbest ideas in history.
Xplosive is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #12
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
S, can't you be civil to me even when I just pose a thread ? For your darn information I watch every fight on HBO and Showtime and ESPN...I admire many, many great fighers of today and the recent past too numerous to name...There were no supermen in my era , the 1940s and 1950s, but by virtue of the fact that there were at least 10 times the amount of pro fighters, fighting very often against a deep pool of contenders with only 8 championship belts, it is common sense for me to say that there were much better fighters in my era than now...So S, try to respond to my thread
I posed, that's all...
P.S. If you want to play the game of who was better the fighters in my era, against your era , pose YOUR thread and I will repond starting with Joe Louis, Ray Robinson, Willie Pep, Archie Moore, Ezzard Charles, Ike Williams, Kd Gavilan etc..What say you S ?
That was an entirely civil pose on my part, Burt. No need for the thin skin. I always enjoy your unique input.

What are your thoughts on Ward? I think he is the class of the field at this time, good inside and out, great ring generalship and can enough power to keep his opponents honest. He really seems to have that rare, next-level ability.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #13
BUDW
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Burt 1 Seamus 0

Pull your head out of your ass quit being a dick Seamus
BUDW is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #14
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUDW View Post
Burt 1 Seamus 0

Pull your head out of your ass quit being a dick Seamus

Seriously. A lil' gentling ribbing to Burt is out of line? I am asking his perspective on another fighter from today... obviously because I like his input.

Jesus Christ, grow the **** up.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #15
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
That was an entirely civil pose on my part, Burt. No need for the thin skin. I always enjoy your unique input.

What are your thoughts on Ward? I think he is the class of the field at this time, good inside and out, great ring generalship and can enough power to keep his opponents honest. He really seems to have that rare, next-level ability.
I agree about Ward being a damn good fighter...As I posted Ward reminds me of the WW Buddy McGirt in looks, slyness and intelligence...But either Dawson was weakened by weight making or he was overated on the basis of fighting a weak LH division...
P.S. If as you imply I am "thin skinned", it is because I was born in the Depression days, and my parents couldn't afford thick skin...

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum