Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-10-2012, 02:06 AM   #1
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Dempsey, louis, marciano cruiserwts

When you wonder where all the excitement went in the Heavyweight division of today, here's why.
Some of the greatest names in heavyweight boxing history, were really cruiserweights in today's boxing world. Nowadays if you are not 6'5", 250pds you are not considered a legitiment heavweight. And please don't compare the Klitschko's with Jess Willard, or Primo Carnera. Today the best cruisers are from Europe. If you want to see the excitement we are missing with fighters the size of Dempsey, Louis, or Marciano. Check out what a pre-giant heavyweight title fight would look like, look at the David Haye vs Enzo Maccarinelli, title fight. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
We are now stuck with oversized guys who are mostly plodders and boring.
dempsey1234 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2012, 04:20 AM   #2
dinnynosher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Dempsey, louis, marciano cruiserwts

I agree with some of what you said...

However, Haye/Maccerinelli wasn't a great fight...

But yeah, some of what you said...
dinnynosher is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2012, 05:01 AM   #3
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Were you not around in the 90s where there were exciting HW fights with genuine SHW or big HWs?

Bowe-Holyfield
Bowe-Golota
Morrison-Mercer
Morrison-Rudduck
Lennox-Rudduck
Ibeabuchi-Tua
Lennox-Briggs

So why are there no exciting fights today? American HW boxing is pretty much dead. Eastern European boxers are typically schooled in a straight up high guard 1-2 style with more focus on defence and keeping distance than aggression. That generally doesn't make for exciting fights. Haye is a counter puncher so against the Eastern Euros has looked boring. The best fights have involved a pressure fighter in Chisora, all of his fights have some excitement
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Bowe-Holyfield
Bowe-Golota
Morrison-Mercer
Morrison-Rudduck
Lennox-Rudduck
Ibeabuchi-Tua
Lennox-Briggs

First off I am talking about "today", second I am talking about guys the size of Dempsey, Louis and Marciano. 20,000 people thought enough of the Haye - Maccarelli, to attend that fight, and both were cruisers, under 200pds. On the list of fights you provided out of the seven, five had americans. Where is the excitement today in the fights mentioned they were must see fights, today who cares.
dempsey1234 is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2012, 06:35 AM   #5
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dempsey1234 View Post
Bowe-Holyfield
Bowe-Golota
Morrison-Mercer
Morrison-Rudduck
Lennox-Rudduck
Ibeabuchi-Tua
Lennox-Briggs

First off I am talking about "today", second I am talking about guys the size of Dempsey, Louis and Marciano. 20,000 people thought enough of the Haye - Maccarelli, to attend that fight, and both were cruisers, under 200pds. On the list of fights you provided out of the seven, five had americans. Where is the excitement today in the fights mentioned they were must see fights, today who cares.
Fighting today , if Dempsey and his astute manager Jack Kearns wished
and today's "supplements", could have easily come into a fight at 210-15
pounds...Dempsey was a big framed guy with long arms, wide shoulders atop slender legs...His back muscles and deltoids were large for his weight.
And even with this weight his animal like moves ala Roberto Duran would still outspeed today's moulded battle ships...Would Dempsey be better with this weight ? Who knows ? By the way I never see 240 pound ballet dancers...They are all lithe and muscular...A Harry Greb, Sam Langford,
Jack Dillon, Jack Dempsey, Mickey Walker, Henry Armstrong, Joe Louis,
loved to tackle the big boys...Those days those guys knew how to adjust.
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
Fighting today , if Dempsey and his astute manager Jack Kearns wished
and today's "supplements", could have easily come into a fight at 210-15
pounds...Dempsey was a big framed guy with long arms, wide shoulders atop slender legs...His back muscles and deltoids were large for his weight.
And even with this weight his animal like moves ala Roberto Duran would still outspeed today's moulded battle ships...Would Dempsey be better with this weight ? Who knows ? By the way I never see 240 pound ballet dancers...They are all lithe and muscular...A Harry Greb, Sam Langford,
Jack Dillon, Jack Dempsey, Mickey Walker, Henry Armstrong, Joe Louis,
loved to tackle the big boys...Those days those guys knew how to adjust.
Some guys have the body frames and skill sets that could move up better than others ... I completely agree that Dempsey would be a 215 pound guy today and pretty deadly ... however if it would be enough to beat everyone, I don't know ..
he grant is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #7
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
Some guys have the body frames and skill sets that could move up better than others ... I completely agree that Dempsey would be a 215 pound guy today and pretty deadly ... however if it would be enough to beat everyone, I don't know ..
he ,nobody can be sure of anything in top elite boxers...But what I have read from so many oldtimers, Dempsey at his best was the roughest, toughest, meanness hombres of the heavyweights...Because of his kill or be killed attitude , swiftness and heavy hands, he very well might have beaten anyone H2H...In every phase of endeavor, someone comes along
that is unique, be it a Caruso, Fred Astaire, Harry Greb, Ray Robinson, Michael Jordan, that is never duplicated...Yes he could be outboxed by top boxers but sooner or later he would get inside and get his licks in, and
it has been said, whoever Dempsey hit, he hurts"...Years ago Nat Fleischer
said during Joe Louis's spectacular reign, a great 200 pound fighter is big enough to beat anyone bigger ". And history bears this out...Cheers...
burt bienstock is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum