Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 09-11-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
wordisbond
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Working the night shift-training at odd hours

What's up guys,
Starting tomorrow night, I'm gonna be working shifts that finish at 8am (10pm-8am, 8pm-8am). So even on my off days, I gotta try to stay up to at least 6 am just so my body gets used to the night schedule which won't change as long as I'm with the company. I could see myself having to work out and run during the late hours when I'm off (3am-6am), and just wanted to know if there are others on here that are in the same boat as me.
Thanks,
WIB
wordisbond is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2012, 01:52 AM   #2
BoxinScienceUSA
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Working the night shift-training at odd hours

I worked midnights for about 12 years, just so I could box and coach. I boxed so i could be a better coach. either way, i did it so i could be in the gym during evening "team hours". my regular routine was to work my shift (either 12-830am or 10pm-630am), go home, have breakfast, wind down, sleep for 3 hours, run errands/etc, go to gym, return to bed for 3 hours, get up, work, and on and on and on.

i loved it (i was in my early 20's so there were many times i'd find myself staying up for 3 days at a time because the opportunity to do stuff was so available)!

and i did the same thing, staying up on my off nights to stay on schedule. i would do online courses (of course back then they were paper courses in the mail and not online-and that is the way i earned my level 3 theory national coaching certificate by studying at night, sending in the assignments and getting graded) and even on my nights off i would study like i was at work; study for a few hours, take a 15min break, few more hours, lunch, few more hours, break, few more hours, bed.

last time i trained for a boxing match (1997) i was fortunate enough to live exactly 5km door to door from my house to my work. i would run there, sprinting lightposts, work then do a gradual increasing jog back after my shift was finished.

"how bad do YOU want it?!?!" (that's me coaching in the gym)

when you want something, you'll find a way to make it happen. and what one person believes is a liability or an excuse, you'll create an opportunity to make it an asset.

it sounds like you're on the right track. keep it up and good luck!
BoxinScienceUSA is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing