Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 09-11-2012, 12:30 AM   #1
r1p00pk
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 253
Default How To Fight on the inside Against The "Shell" Type defence

first time sparring a guy who shells up like mayweather, blocks everything. Getting a Clean shot was probably one of the harder things to do since the guy was well experienced, took it a bit easy on me and just focused on defence. I took advantage of the session by practicing footwork, moving in and out in angles and turning the guy. I didnt really hit hard enough so over time he completely gave no respect and just plodded forward. The main reason why i didnt hit hard was because my boxing coach told me he wouldnt hit too hard and told me to punch loose and light. I made him chase me and sort of measured the pace by stepping in at the right time and throwing like 2-5 punches. A few times i found myself on the inside and just throwing shots but i couldnt land anything. My gym uses puffy sparring gloves, some canadian brand so it's not compact at all like normal gloves just to avoid any real damage.

If the guy fought a bit more serious i wouldve gotten quite embarrassed, i think i landed like a total of 3 hits in each round out of like a large amount of punches. The next time we spar it'll be more of a real sparring session than a light one and i want to be prepared.
r1p00pk is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2012, 01:32 AM   #2
Mordechai
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: How To Fight on the inside Against The "Shell" Type defence

You have to punch his arms and shoulders, people forget you don't have to go to the head. Punch with full power his arms, he can't counter you at the same time. He will change his defense after a couple of punches and his arms will hurt so you can start going to the head and body
Mordechai is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2012, 01:37 AM   #3
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 65348

I love using that style against bigger opponents.
philly shell is mainly a style for fighters who likes to counter and play defense. The natural posture of the left hand automatically guards most of the body with the help of your footing gives your opponent very little to hit to the body. The right hand is use to catch/parry/pick off shots (mainly the jab). You can catch the jab with your right and roll their str8s with your shoulder and duck under hooks and counter with catch and shoot.

Using this stance on the offense requires fast hands. with your lead hand down to the body is hard to shoot jabs for it take a longer time to pick up ur hands. Which is why you don't see many jabs from fighters who fight in the stance. however it disquise your punches very well. you can hook and uppercut better and is harder to see coming for it comes from downward position while ur opponent is fix mainly at your shoulders. It is good to sneak uppercuts and hooks for offense in range. It is very effective on the inside obviously for those reason stated.

To beat a philly requires patience. you want to fight them at a range and force an error and hit them while they are off balance. use a lot of feints on your jab and str8s to mess up their timing. Captialize their inability to shoot their jabs quick.

Last edited by tliang1000; 09-11-2012 at 01:49 AM.
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2012, 01:43 AM   #4
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 65348

Feint is the key. Jab is the setup. They will look to captialize your mistake so don't telegraph your punches. Stay on the outside, make him react to your feints and nail his ass.

A good setup is jab feint, jab, right hook to his body. Their natural reaction will to hide behind his shoulders so when they raise up his left should, hook hard at his body on the left side. Then wack his ass with a left hook or left uppercut after he reacts to ur body shot. Back off if needed. maximum 2-4 punches and back away. don't give him time to counter you. If he is hurt by your shots then follow thru.
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2012, 05:43 AM   #5
Tar Baby
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 430

Watch Castillo vs Mayweather
Tar Baby is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2012, 07:10 AM   #6
NVSemin
Sugar Boxing
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by tliang1000 View Post
Feint is the key. Jab is the setup. They will look to captialize your mistake so don't telegraph your punches. Stay on the outside, make him react to your feints and nail his ass.

A good setup is jab feint, jab, right hook to his body. Their natural reaction will to hide behind his shoulders so when they raise up his left should, hook hard at his body on the left side. Then wack his ass with a left hook or left uppercut after he reacts to ur body shot. Back off if needed. maximum 2-4 punches and back away. don't give him time to counter you. If he is hurt by your shots then follow thru.
I second that. I would feint they guy up, hit down. Feint Down - Hit up.
NVSemin is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
danhardinges304
Journeyman

totally agree with mordechai just faint with the jab & right hand and depending on what stance he is taking get out of range of there right hand and come in from the left and the right just keep switching sides thing about the philly shell it's great to look good and win the rounds but most of all people us it to rest between rounds or when on the ropes as it is very hard to get many clean shots just a few faint's will shake him up but beware of the counter shots
danhardinges304 is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
weegriffin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1300

Never sparred anyone that fought like that, but watching fights like Rios vs Abril I can see why it can be awkward to fight in the inside against that style.

I would say Floyd vs Castillo would be a good fight to watch, regardless of who you fought won that fight he does show how to deal with that style.

Cotto vs Floyd may be another fight to watch as Cotto had some success against that style also. Mostly with his jab so I would look to use this often.

Also as the above posters have metioned faints could be a good idea to create openings in the defence of who your sparring. Mosley managed to have success with faints in the second round of the Mayweather fight by using faints, but Floyd's not the type to fall for it again and thus adapted and won.
weegriffin is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
NVSemin
Sugar Boxing
ESB Jr Member

I never say people using Phylli Shell in amateur competition at top level
Does anyone know example?
NVSemin is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #10
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1947

Test how much they actually know the style. Give them angles (the feet are important), feints, throw combinations, change tempo etc. One simple combination that actually works surprisingly well in my experience (it's also demonstrated in the Mosley - Mayweather fight) is a jab to the chest and then a straight right hand. The reason this seems to work so well is because the jab is to such an awkward position; they don't want to use the shoulder to block it because they then can't use the shoulder roll if you follow up with a right hand, so they'll tend to bring the left hand far too low and it gives you the opportunity to land the right. I'd also say to throw the left hook after the straight right too, because even if they manage to roll the right hand, there is a good chance they aren't going to get the right hand back from the chest area to the right side of their face. I could go on and on
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
wayneflint
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Like has been mentioned feinting may work as the style alone without good footwork will mean a lack of layers in defence so wen youve got it wrong every1 will know including ur opponent. You can damage the shouldersand arms but as its a sparr with a more experienced guy i dont think that will bode well for ur next or future sparrs with this guy, work wih him tacticly andtake the opportunity to.develop specific skills with a better fighter, jab the forehead to setup some combos or to establish a new angle. Appologies for the txt talk but im on a touch screen and it takes ages to write anything, buttons are very small

Last edited by wayneflint; 09-11-2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: txt language
wayneflint is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #12
boxbible
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Apart from switching up and down, there are two other good tactics to use, but need a lot of work.

1) As you jab, step to the left with both feet and shoot the right. This way, you can get the punch past on the inside of the shoulder.

2) Step to the right into a hooking position. Turn the hook under between the guard. Then use the right to push his shoulder as he tries to pivot towards you. That sets up another hook for you as you step around him again. Keep repeating.
boxbible is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #13
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

All great tips. It's a really exhausting style to go up against. Turning the guy isn't a bad idea, if you can do it. You mentioned getting him on the inside in spots, and I don't think anyone else has touched on that; I'd say the most important thing is to neutralize the right hand on the inside. Watch how Roberto Duran (De Jesus) and Julio Cesar Chavez (Rosario) take their head and put it into the opponent's shoulder while taking their left elbow and constantly pressing it against the right while squaring them up with leverage. Then you can throw a quick combo and get right back to it. I'm not comfortable using inside maneuvers like this, but if you're decent on the inside then it's not a bad trick to learn. Also, if you can get off quick, try throwing punches in combination with the same hand. We've all seen Floyd lay against the ropes and easily roll back and forth from sequenced two handed shots; right hand-left hook, right hand-left hook, several times. Mix it up.

What are your dimensions? Kind of important.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2012, 11:23 PM   #14
r1p00pk
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
All great tips. It's a really exhausting style to go up against. Turning the guy isn't a bad idea, if you can do it. You mentioned getting him on the inside in spots, and I don't think anyone else has touched on that; I'd say the most important thing is to neutralize the right hand on the inside. Watch how Roberto Duran (De Jesus) and Julio Cesar Chavez (Rosario) take their head and put it into the opponent's shoulder while taking their left elbow and constantly pressing it against the right while squaring them up with leverage. Then you can throw a quick combo and get right back to it. I'm not comfortable using inside maneuvers like this, but if you're decent on the inside then it's not a bad trick to learn. Also, if you can get off quick, try throwing punches in combination with the same hand. We've all seen Floyd lay against the ropes and easily roll back and forth from sequenced two handed shots; right hand-left hook, right hand-left hook, several times. Mix it up.

What are your dimensions? Kind of important.

thanks bogo, was really hoping you'd answer, everyons given me great tips too. What are dimensions?
r1p00pk is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 12:37 AM   #15
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1p00pk View Post
thanks bogo, was really hoping you'd answer, everyons given me great tips too. What are dimensions?
Height, weight, reach etc.
Jdsm is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing