boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 09-12-2012, 04:05 AM   #1
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default If there's one thing that's going to see me lose interest in MMA it's...

...the never-ending and suspiciously frequent injury call-offs.

You look forward to fights like Jones-Henderson and Aldo-Edgar for weeks, then somebody hurts their toe in training, and you either get a card with no main event, or no card, or some **** replacement opponent making for a fight devoid of any purpose or intensity.

It's just boring and off-putting. Sick of it.
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2012, 04:25 AM   #2
Beouche
Dinamita
East Side Guru

Default Re: If there's one thing that's going to see me lose interest in MMA it's...

I think we all feel the same way Pops. It's sure been a depressing year for MMA fans
Beouche is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
PIRA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: If there's one thing that's going to see me lose interest in MMA it's...

To be expected. MMA is a sport where year round they push the envelope to be the best at injuring others - gotta take your lumps in training and it is extremely hard in prep to hold back that extra inch.
PIRA is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
Atlanta
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 528

It's Greg Jackson's fault. He has one of those lifelike masks and he goes around asking to be various fighters sparring partners. Once in they begin to spar, and he immediately puts them in a clinch and doesn't let up when they tap, and twist or snap 3 seconds later and his job is complete.

He's killing the sport of MMA.
Atlanta is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #5
Peter__1987

vCash:

Yeah, it sucks.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
Greco
Contender
ESB Senior Member

It's pretty damn ****ty, this is the 2nd card in a row that is getting ****ed over because of injuries.
Greco is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553

****e matchmaking + poor training = The UFC, a few things need to happen:

- Dana should be on Aldo's ass about riding Vespas a few days before training.

- Have the main event and co-main event in the same weight class so the whole card doesn't fall apart.

- More tv, less and less ppv. Frankie Edgar belongs on free tv.
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

Less PPVs, Stack them much better so even a championship fight falling off doesn't effect it. More free shows, so if the main event falls off, it's not detrimental. Simple as pie.
BewareofDawg is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
Thom
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Henderson had a partially torn MCL, and Aldo got hit by a car. Those aren't exactly in the same ballpark as a sprained toe. MMA is a rough sport. Guys are going to get hurt in training.

The issue that keeps popping up is that there are way too many events. If the top level talent wasn't spread so thin, Zuffa wouldn't keep finding themselves in these situations where 1 or 2 fighters drop out and an entire card turns to ****.

Re Aldo. His injury is on him. I have no idea why any elite athlete would be stupid enough to ride a motorcycle on a regular basis.
Thom is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict

I am gutted and feel the same way....
Matty lll is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #11
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru

Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
vCash: 85

For the love of.....dammit! Just read a bit of the Aldo news and it is on his stupidity of riding a motorcycle. Kinda feel bad for Edgar but this thing happens in sports. Can't wait for at least a decent main event matchup to remain and appease us even if just for a limited time.
techks is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #12
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Given the UFCs strictness in cutting fighters and the hardship of MMA due to the top competition and the need to really push it in training coupled with the insurance means this will happen alot.

They need to combat it by better cards that run deeper. I think alot of fights are still good match ups but too many nobodies are in the UFC at present. Too many guys who belong in SF. The UFC should be the NFL of MMA, SF should be the second tier.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #13
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

vCash: 157

It all started with Overeem getting pulled from the Dos Santos fight and has snowballed since then.
sugarngold is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #14
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarngold View Post
It all started with Overeem getting pulled from the Dos Santos fight and has snowballed since then.
So you think that everyone or a lot of the guys that pulled out used steroids and knew that they would get busted if they went and fought?
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #15
MaliSlamusrex
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Pretty much every serious semi pro fighter I know has a little 'help'. If they are seriously testing now there won't be any fights for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greathamza View Post
So you think that everyone or a lot of the guys that pulled out used steroids and knew that they would get busted if they went and fought?
MaliSlamusrex is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum