Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #46
Rocket
Journeyman

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Spinks vs Cooney. Spinks outweighed by 30Lbs. And he destroys Cooney in 5 rounds.

Cooneys toughest foe was a Long Island bartender
Rocket is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #47
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Spinks vs Cooney. Spinks outweighed by 30Lbs. And he destroys Cooney in 5 rounds.

Gerry Cooney had a lot of potential but prior to Holmes had only went 8 rds and in the last 2 years had 2 1st rd KO's so no real work, a good fight for Cooney would have been the durable but east to beat Tex Cobb over 12 rounds for the north American title because Cobb would give him work and the confidence to know he could go 10 or 12 rounds....his people went for the $$$, smart but did not give there fighter the best shot to win.

For the Spinks fight, I was there in A.C. and Gerry was on a comeback, Spinks was smaller but the better man, a great light heavyweight against as very good one armed puncher, Bigger men 6"5 and up have never fared too well until Bowe,Lewis Klitschko, the Olympic guys and Vitali but other than Bowe they were all always fit.

Big men never dominated the heavy's until the 90's but I think its here to stay, in fact they are getting bigger
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2012, 11:21 PM   #48
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

dont agree that cooney was a fraud. around 1980-82 he really could of beat most of the heavies except for holmes who was one of the best ever
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2012, 11:22 PM   #49
Clinton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovid***ile View Post
David vs Goliath Match Ups

Sam Langford vs Battling Jim Johnson 191 lbs vs 224 lbs KO12
Jack Dempsey vs Jess Willard 187 lbs vs 245 KO3
Joe Louis vs Buddy Baer 206 lbs vs 250 lbs KO1
Max Baer vs Primo Carnera 209 lbs vs 263 lbs KO11
Joe Louis vs Primo Carnera 196 lbs vs 260 lbs KO6
Joe Louis vs Abe Simon 202 lbs vs 254 lbs KO13
Michael Spinks vs Gerry Cooney 208 lbs vs 238 lbs KO5
Roy Jones Jr vs John Ruiz 193 lbs vs 226 lbs UD12
Ruslan Chagaev vs Nikolay Valuev 228 lbs vs 319 lbs MD12
David Haye vs Nikolay Valuev 217 lbs vs 316 lbs MD12
Poor Primo.
Clinton is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #50
Clinton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
Gerry Cooney had a lot of potential but prior to Holmes had only went 8 rds and in the last 2 years had 2 1st rd KO's so no real work, a good fight for Cooney would have been the durable but east to beat Tex Cobb over 12 rounds for the north American title because Cobb would give him work and the confidence to know he could go 10 or 12 rounds....his people went for the $$$, smart but did not give there fighter the best shot to win.

For the Spinks fight, I was there in A.C. and Gerry was on a comeback, Spinks was smaller but the better man, a great light heavyweight against as very good one armed puncher, Bigger men 6"5 and up have never fared too well until Bowe,Lewis Klitschko, the Olympic guys and Vitali but other than Bowe they were all always fit.

Big men never dominated the heavy's until the 90's but I think its here to stay, in fact they are getting bigger
Nicely put,Bummy
Clinton is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2012, 11:49 PM   #51
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
Poor Primo.
I had no idea Louis was givin up that much wait with Simon..Thats an awsome list!
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2012, 11:51 PM   #52
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

[quote=Bummy Davis;13777193]Gerry Cooney had a lot of potential but prior to Holmes had only went 8 rds and in the last 2 years had 2 1st rd KO's so no real work, a good fight for Cooney would have been the durable but east to beat Tex Cobb over 12 rounds for the north American title because Cobb would give him work and the confidence to know he could go 10 or 12 rounds....his people went for the $$$, smart but did not give there fighter the best shot to win.

Big men never dominated the heavy's until the 90's but I think its here to stay, in fact they are getting bigger[/quot

Very well said! and your right these bums are just gettin bigger and bigger..
Old 09-13-2012, 11:52 PM   #53
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
Poor Primo.
Poor Willard as well..
Old 09-13-2012, 11:53 PM   #54
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGEREDGE View Post
dont agree that cooney was a fraud. around 1980-82 he really could of beat most of the heavies except for holmes who was one of the best ever
Thankyou Tiger..Finally someone who see's in for what it really worth!
Old 09-13-2012, 11:54 PM   #55
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

But Holmes did have his hands full with Cooney!..Thats a fact
Old 09-14-2012, 12:09 AM   #56
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

The demise of Spinks....[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

If your a Spinks fan this has always been hard to watch!
Old 09-14-2012, 12:37 AM   #57
Rider51

For me part of the issue was the Cooney never developed into the fighter he was hyped to be and showed flashes of. He had tremendous power in his left hand, and decent power in his right. He showed a lot of heart when overmatched against Holmes. But he didn't fight any of the quality fighters he needed at the time: Cobb, Witherspoon, Tillis, Page, Snipes, Berbick, etc. As I recall he said because he wasn't part of Don King's stable he had a hard time getting fights and was somewhat pushed into the Holmes fight when he needed a fight against one of those guys after the Norton KO. Plus because of his power guys avoided him. The only fighter I recall actively calling him out was Marty Monroe, who promptly lost to Page. There was talk of Greg fighting Cooney, but he signed with and lost to Berbick.

After the loss to Holmes he didn't fight for over two years, and apparently hit the bottle quite a bit. Even though he beat the then unbeaten Brown, journeyman Chaplin, and Eddie Gregg, that was less than 7 total rounds of fighting. When he stepped into the ring against Spinks he hadn't developed hardly at all from the Cooney that beat an old Jimmy Young, seven years earlier.
Rider51 is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2012, 01:18 AM   #58
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Voltage View Post
I agree with the Southpaw. Fantastic performance by Spinks. Michael would have beaten every heavy in the division at that time, except Tyson. I can't believe people call him a fraud. I think they're pissed because he finally rid us of Holmes.
I think a few top contenders would've pushed his shit in at that stage, coked up or not.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2012, 01:18 AM   #59
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
But Holmes did have his hands full with Cooney!..Thats a fact
Not really.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2012, 01:21 AM   #60
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
Please go the **** away dude!
That's what I think about you every time I see another one of your shitty noob threads.
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum