Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 09-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
knighty
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Actual fighter fans vs armchair fans

Its a debate ive always pondered on. I myself have never boxed competitvely. Sure ive trained for fitness , gone on the bag and hit a few mitts and sparred with friends in my time but never had the push to compete as , face it , im not a fan of getting whacked.

But there are no sports i love more than the sweet science. Been following for ten years and would regard myself as a bit of an anorak. No-one i know including mates who fight seem to keep up with me. My point is do the fans who actually box and compete really deep down respect , non-competing fans thoughts and imput.

I do hate myself sometimes for never giving it a shot because for that reason alone , no matter how much i watch and listen im never gonna feel what its like to hold full knowledge of the sport and will always feel slightly inferior to an actual fighter who has put it on the line.

What are other fans thoughts in this , fighters and non-fighters??
knighty is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
danhardinges304
Journeyman

vCash: 500
Default Re: Actual fighter fans vs armchair fans

It all depend's some trainer's have had no Amateur or professional fighting experience and yet from what they have watched and studied become very good coaches. So my answer would be on how much knowledge they actually know about what they are talking about
danhardinges304 is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
knighty
Contender
ESB Senior Member

There are not many trainers who havnt boxed themselves. Two spring to mind in enzo calzaghe and vince cleverly and look how ridiculed they are! I bet they know the sport inside out , but because they never boxed they will never be fully respected!! I know enzo gets a certain amount now but most fans still ridicule him.
knighty is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2012, 08:00 AM   #4
brickfists
The Nonpareil
ESB Addict

vCash: 542

Im actually of the opinion that the armchair fans are actually the more passionate fans of the sport than the guy's who compete, basically because the armchair types are the ones who spend most of their time on forums reading, writing, watching anything and everything about boxing where as alot of the guy's who i've come across who actually practice boxing seem to be more focused on learning the sport from inside the ring and focusing more on learning the knowledge that will improve their boxing skills and not neccessarily the all round knowledge of the game such as the history ect

just my opinion anyway, dont take offence if you actually practice boxing. know that i greatly respect and admire any person who gets in the ring
brickfists is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
knighty
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickfists View Post
Im actually of the opinion that the armchair fans are actually the more passionate fans of the sport than the guy's who compete, basically because the armchair types are the ones who spend most of their time on forums reading, writing, watching anything and everything about boxing where as alot of the guy's who i've come across who actually practice boxing seem to be more focused on learning the sport from inside the ring and focusing more on learning the knowledge that will improve their boxing skills and not neccessarily the all round knowledge of the game such as the history ect

just my opinion anyway, dont take offence if you actually practice boxing. know that i greatly respect and admire any person who gets in the ring
This is a good point. There are a lot of fighters who openly admit they dont follow to closly and see it as a job ( jermain taylor didnt even know what belts he held when he beat b-hop). Still doesnt answer the question of would a fighter respect advice from a fan on the technical aspects of the sport?
knighty is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
avo
I Got Milk Baby!!!
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

tony jeffries claimed to have never seen an Ali fight and doesnt like boxing lol
avo is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
knighty
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avo View Post
tony jeffries claimed to have never seen an Ali fight and doesnt like boxing lol
****in hell thats mental. Makes u wonder how did he get the drive to work so hard at something hes not that passionate about.
knighty is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
bluenoseshf
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I don't think it makes a difference at all really, if your passionate about it that's all that matters. I've boxed before but there are many posters on here that have never boxed that are a helluva a lot more knowledgeable than me. One of the things that annoys me the most on boxing forum is when some says " you've never boxed so what do you know"
bluenoseshf is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #9
scotchpieirnbru
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I must admit i have had a bit of a transition in this way, when i was in my teens and fighting competitively i had no interest in really watching boxing. It was just the main fights like your Hattons and Naseems and such that i'd really go out my way for.

But now with the inability to train due to working evenings i have found myself watching boxing with interest and studying certain fighters and taking an interest in certain fighters which i never did do before.

I'm not sure why i have started to do this though.

Also about trainers, there are a few trainers i learned valuable tricks of the trade from who have never been in the ring but they knew more about how to fight than i did at the time. I did find that a bit strange but these guys were (along with the ex fighting trainers overcourse) the most respected guys around the gym.
scotchpieirnbru is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #10
knighty
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoseshf View Post
I don't think it makes a difference at all really, if your passionate about it that's all that matters. I've boxed before but there are many posters on here that have never boxed that are a helluva a lot more knowledgeable than me. One of the things that annoys me the most on boxing forum is when some says " you've never boxed so what do you know"
This is my whole point!!! But i do believe at the same time theres a lot of armchair fans on this forum who chat so much shit, and are just lacking in respect towards fighters , that they give real armchair fans a bad name. In that sense u cant blame fighters firing off the " uve never boxed wtf do u know" cliche.
knighty is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #11
knighty
Contender
ESB Senior Member

O
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchpieirnbru View Post
I must admit i have had a bit of a transition in this way, when i was in my teens and fighting competitively i had no interest in really watching boxing. It was just the main fights like your Hattons and Naseems and such that i'd really go out my way for.

But now with the inability to train due to working evenings i have found myself watching boxing with interest and studying certain fighters and taking an interest in certain fighters which i never did do before.

I'm not sure why i have started to do this though.

Also about trainers, there are a few trainers i learned valuable tricks of the trade from who have never been in the ring but they knew more about how to fight than i did at the time. I did find that a bit strange but these guys were (along with the ex fighting trainers overcourse) the most respected guys around the gym.
i bet u wonder that if ud of had the same passion u had for it now , as when u was a kid ud of pushed and taken it a bit more seriously?? Just a guess.
knighty is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #12
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

I respect everyones opinion if they seem to have half a clue about wha tthey're talking about, there are a few things you can only really understand fully if youve been in the ring yourself though, for example, just how ****ing much those bodyshots really hurt lol
BlackBrenny is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #13
knighty
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBrenny View Post
I respect everyones opinion if they seem to have half a clue about wha tthey're talking about, there are a few things you can only really understand fully if youve been in the ring yourself though, for example, just how ****ing much those bodyshots really hurt lol
Thats when u can see how a fighter could become irrate at someone whi doesnt know what it feels like to take a proper shot!
knighty is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #14
scotchpieirnbru
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
This is my whole point!!! But i do believe at the same time theres a lot of armchair fans on this forum who chat so much shit, and are just lacking in respect towards fighters , that they give real armchair fans a bad name. In that sense u cant blame fighters firing off the " uve never boxed wtf do u know" cliche.
The stuff you mention really winds me up. Especially on the general boxing forum where you get stupid fat american brats shouting about how this guys a bum and that guy is glass jawed and this and that.

That sort of thing is laughable. These are the sort of guys who have been in there garage for a week with a set of bag mitts and suddenly they know how easy it all is. But it isn't just them either, some people have no excuse as in the ones who have watched boxing for years but still spout hatred for PROFESSIONAL fighters. These blokes are far from what i'd call a 'bum'. The dedication is phenomenal even at low level fights.
scotchpieirnbru is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #15
knighty
Contender
ESB Senior Member

The septic tanks are the worst for it over on the general.
knighty is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum