Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-27-2008, 05:53 AM   #16
TK Terrible
Tuff Little Unit
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: A question for posters on the british forum.

I think boxing is one of the only sports that transends nationalities and nationalist attitudes. It's an international sport and fans rarely tend to hold an alliance to their countrymen purely on the basis that they were born in the same country.
TK Terrible is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2008, 06:13 AM   #17
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 922

As an Englishman I would generally support English fighters over other UK fighters, but I would also support UK fighters over "foreign" fighters.
However, it's never that straight forward as there are more things to consider than just nationality.
Take Amir Khan v Willy Limond for instance. Having been an Englishman living in Scotland for some years I am fully aware of how deep the rivalry is between our 2 nations, so would normally root for the English fighter. However, Khan is such an arrogant, mouthy, over protected chav that I was rooting for Limond.
Domestic rivalry is a good thing in my opinion, but it's just one of the reasons why I support one fighter over another.
Claypole is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2008, 06:26 AM   #18
Beatboxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Terrible
I think boxing is one of the only sports that transends nationalities and nationalist attitudes. It's an international sport and fans rarely tend to hold an alliance to their countrymen purely on the basis that they were born in the same country.
I agree with this.

Though i do like to see AAA do well...but i like him as a person and i think some of the things that the great Ken Buchanan has said about him are a bit harsh.

Nationality is a secondary issue to me...personality i must say counts for alot towards my support as well as their fighting style of course.
Beatboxer is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2008, 07:21 AM   #19
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Il get behind any fighter that i like.I have more preference for fighters from our shores than abroad but there actually nationality here be it Scotland Ireland England whereever is irrelavent to me.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2008, 07:46 AM   #20
"TKO"
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Generally speaking I'll support all of them, English, Scottish, Irish and Welsh, but the English maybe a little more (I'm English). I'll generally cheer on an English fighter against, say, a Scottish fighter, but cheer on the Scottish fighter against anyone else. For example, I cheered on my fellow Manc Mike Gomez against Alex Arthur, but cheered on Arthur against Boris Sinitsin. Having said that, my support is not a wholly national thing, I'll cheer on any fighter I like full stop. There are overseas fighters I am or have been a big fan of and there are English fighters who've never really floated my boat.
"TKO" is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2008, 07:58 AM   #21
themacallan
Chin Chin
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggyland
Who gives a **** except you Dunky?

Find a political forum for all this bollocks....
you're only saying that because you don't know if you are english or irish
themacallan is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2008, 07:59 AM   #22
dwilson

vCash:

I cheer fighters on equaly from all the British countries. I love my English compatriots to win in the same sense that I want my Scotish, Welsh and Irish fighters to win. I do not distinguish between any nationality because we are all the same people in my eyes.

I am from Yorkshire so I view Yorkshire fighters such as Witter, Woods and Johanesson as my favorites to do well. I also cheer fighters who are non born Brits but who live here now such as Greenberg, Eastwood and Olegusen.

I even like to follow and support fighters from our Commenwealth, the Danny Greens and Alcines of the world.

I do also support American fighters because of the bond between the two countries.

If I do suuport an home countries fighter over another it will be due to personal prefereance of style or the personality of the fighters involved.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:05 AM   #23
rydersonthestorm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I am eng;lish and i want all the british fighters to do well but i have my favourties like haye and previously lewis and would support them against any fighter.
rydersonthestorm is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2008, 08:10 AM   #24
Betty Swollocks
James 'Lights Out' Toney
ESB Addict

not bothered about where anyone is from, as individuals we are all citizens on the world.
Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious - John Mason.

apart from cunts from Newport called Enzo, who I want to see get knocked out always.
Betty Swollocks is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2008, 08:22 AM   #25
hitman_hatton1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

i generally cheer on the british fighters when they take on foreign fighters.

sometimes i'll cheer on the opposition when i dislike the british boxer.

for example. i'll be cheering on demetrius hopkins when he boxes junior witter. and if audley harrison makes a comeback in america i'll want him decked again.

i might cheer on mikkel kessler if he ever fights carl froch as well. froch just needs taking down a peg or two.
hitman_hatton1 is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2008, 08:39 AM   #26
Haye
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'm from Wales, but don't consider myself Welsh particularly. I actually dont like any Welsh fighters except for Calzaghe.

I support most English fighters, though dont like dicks like Froch.

I like pretty a few Irish fighters, Lee, Duddy and Dunne.

And I cant think of one scotch fighter I am a fan of. But that's just a coincidence.

As a rule, I support the Brits, except if they are guys like Froch or Rees.
Haye is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2008, 08:40 AM   #27
Haye
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Foquinha
not bothered about where anyone is from, as individuals we are all citizens on the world.
Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious - John Mason.

apart from cunts from Newport called Enzo, who I want to see get knocked out always.
Including Enzo Calzaghe? Who is probably a bigger dick than Macca is.
Haye is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2008, 08:47 AM   #28
Smith
Monzon-like
ESB Addict

vCash: 484

Generally I'll give benefit of the doubt to a British fighter is he is fighting a guy from out these shores I no little about the foreigner. However, I do not class myself as British, but only Scottish. I have a bias towards Scottish boxers, of course I do, but I also appreciate a fine artist in the ring. If Witter fights Hatton, I support Junior, when Joe fights B-Hop, I support Joe, if Cotto boxed Hatton, I support Miguel. It bears very little on my choice of fighter when it comes to the elite of the sport.
Smith is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2008, 09:17 AM   #29
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

depends im kinda neutral i was routing for mounir guabbas when he had danny hunt on the ropes. it doesnt matter if you do take sides then your being a fool and a wasteman to neglect a nation of boxing acomplishment becuase....well for no reason at all.
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2008, 10:12 AM   #30
jc
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 419

Welsman raised in England.

Will tend to lean towards the British fighter in an international bout, my preference on the Welsh/Scottish or English changes though. Im a Calzaghe fan who would route for him against Froch, but want haye to beat Enzo... I wont let nationality cloud my judgement either, Im a Hatton fan but knew Mayweather would beat him, I would like to see AAA do well against Guzman but am intelligent enough to know he will get battered, I do think a prime Roy jones beats Joe Calzaghe/Eubank/Collins and Benn and so on...
jc is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum