Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-27-2008, 10:14 AM   #31
toffeejack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: A question for posters on the british forum.

I cheer on all British fighters against the yanks and the rest unless their names are "Carl Froch" and "Amir Khan".

I'm Welsh so obviously cheer on Welsh fighters against any other Brits.
toffeejack is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2008, 10:16 AM   #32
toffeejack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty
im welsh and joe is my favourite fighter and i do tend to support british boxers against foreign opposition, but at the end of the day i just wanna see a good fight. some times theres an exception though. like enzo vs haye. like i said im welsh but id prefer haye to win as it would be better for british boxing!
Hang your head in shame.
toffeejack is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2008, 10:54 AM   #33
McGuigan.
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
I hope you dont mind me asking, & this thread could possibly bomb, cos its so close to the bone.
However, Im going to ask anyway.

Most people here are from Scotland, England, NI.Ireland, ROI & Wales.

So how do you view british boxing? Do you cheer on fighters from your own country above anyone else, or do you cheer on fighters from the aforementioned countries equally, as we are all 'british'

I ask as I want to find out just how 'british' people from these shores truly feel.
As I said before though, this is a tough question so I dont mind if certain posters wish to avoid it cos its a cutting question.
So if you are still reading, are you a poster who cheers on fighters from these shores equally? Or do you want people from your own country to win above all else?
& the question is aimed at the english, scots, Irish & welsh.

& lets have some honest answers please. No *****footing around. I hate *****footers.
Dont give a toss where a fighter hails from as long as I like the fighter. Never have thought about it in this context.
Dunky, are you a hun?
McGuigan. is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2008, 11:02 AM   #34
WelshintheUS
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

The only time I think that I have ever gone against a UK fighter was Naz.
Loved seeing the cunt beat by Barrera.
At that point though he was bigging up Yemen.
WelshintheUS is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2008, 11:32 AM   #35
Droog
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I'm English but I'm not that tribal myself where sport is concerned but I do find it hard to support a jock at times. Mind you I was screaming for Limond to finish Khan off as I will not support a muslim ever. I seem to be one of the few on here who wants Enzo to beat Haye and I think he will easier then the Haye fan boys think.
Droog is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2008, 11:40 AM   #36
McGuigan.
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droog
I'm English but I'm not that tribal myself where sport is concerned but I do find it hard to support a jock at times. Mind you I was screaming for Limond to finish Khan off as I will not support a muslim ever. I seem to be one of the few on here who wants Enzo to beat Haye and I think he will easier then the Haye fan boys think.
dearie me!
McGuigan. is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2008, 11:46 AM   #37
ron u.k.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

i'm english and in football i'm like many i want my country to beat everyone and support them all the way.however in boxing i just don't have that same mentality.sure i support an english fighter when fighting another from the home countries,but if he loses it's no big deal because i also give support to all the celtic fighters.although i think he gets spanked i will be 100% behind arthur when he fights guzman.i loved ken buchanan,barry mcguighan and howard winstone always wanted them to beat the foreign guys put up against them.my favourite fighter the last 10 years or so has been barrera,it never broke my heart when he beat hamed.i consider myself a fight fan first and foremost.also dunky i see myself as english AND british.
ron u.k. is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2008, 11:56 AM   #38
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Am Romanian. Lived in Britain for half of my life and am a British citizen. Went to school in Scotland, so closer to my heart than England. Romanians are typically ethnocentric but un-xenophobic and un-racist. The British are fair and dislike arrogance and hypocrisy. Am typical in these respects. Therefore:

I discriminate between fighters according to the following factors, in this order:

1. their determination to come back even stronger and better after defeat and willingness to step once more unto the breach, after they were battered and their pride was hurt

2. their will to win, courage and heart in the heat of battle

3. their moral qualities, in general, outside the ring: their morale, courage and dedication, desire to be the best and the extent to which they dare to be great by fighting the best, win or lose

3. their personality, in general

4. their nationality

I will support Romanian/Scottish/British fighters over "foreigners" only to the extent that they are not worse than the other guy 1-3.

I dislike:
  • dodgers who pretend they are being dodged by the other guy and brag about how they would KO the other guy after they dodged him e.g. Froch about Bute
  • fighters who act like superstars and fight less than great opposition after pretending they are fighting the best and great Champions e.g. Macca
  • dodgers in general: e.g. Macca
  • arrogant twats in general e.g. Froch
  • ego-trippers who buy the uberhype about themselves e.g. Khan
  • dirty fighters e.g. Matthews
  • circle-jerkers who trade on their NAME - especially Americans
  • fighters who make a living padding their records pretending to be great Champs - esp. German based fighters
  • fighters who trade on their race or nationality against the opposition
These guys, I want to lose, even if the opponent is less than perfect himself.
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2008, 12:58 PM   #39
Bodysnatcher
Champion
East Side Guru

edit

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 02-13-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Bodysnatcher is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2008, 01:30 PM   #40
safe_pa
Howlin' Mad
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Foquinha
not bothered about where anyone is from, as individuals we are all citizens on the world.
Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious - John Mason.

apart from cunts from Newport called Enzo, who I want to see get knocked out always.
Enzo is from Swansea.
But back to the question, I'm a Welshman but I see Boxing differently to say rugby, I support all lads from the four corners of the isles, I will cheer for Macca but I will be happy when Haye wins as I'm a Haye fan. I will admit that if it's a Welshman fighting I will cheer him on but I won't hate a fighter because he has a different flag. I am British when it comes to Boxing as everyone else seems to have it in for us, we should stick together
safe_pa is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2008, 02:18 PM   #41
TFFP

vCash:

I'm Welsh, and I treat all British fighters equally. I'll support whoever I feel has the best chance of making it at world level

For example, I'm backing Haye against my countryman

The Americans don't distinguish between the countries, and from my viewpoint we don't get enough respect and hence I'll back any British fighter, or failing that a European fighter
Old 01-27-2008, 02:26 PM   #42
Strike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1667

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP
I'm Welsh, and I treat all British fighters equally. I'll support whoever I feel has the best chance of making it at world level

For example, I'm backing Haye against my countryman

The Americans don't distinguish between the countries, and from my viewpoint we don't get enough respect and hence I'll back any British fighter, or failing that a European fighter
Pretty much how I feel. Hence why I support Calzaghe over Woods and why I hope Kessler goes on to do very well.
Strike is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2008, 02:45 PM   #43
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

I love watching any fighter with talent regardless of nationality.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2008, 02:57 PM   #44
Healy
Former Wee Poof
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I support fighters from anywhere and everywhere! Honestly the nationality or the fighter doesnt come into it with me!

I hope if these fighter happen:
Haye beats Enzo
Calzaghe beats Hopkins
Witter beats Hopkins
Guzman best Arthur
Mallinaggi beats Hatton
Duddy beats Pavlik
Arthur beats Khan

just random fights that could happen and who id side with, has ZERO to do with the nationality, just the fighter themselves
Healy is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2008, 03:00 PM   #45
RICH
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I Know I'm Not From Europe But Maybe You Guys Can Learn Something Im From Nyc From Puerto Rican Decent I Was Routing For Hatton Against Collaso Who Is Like Me Anew Yorker From Pr Decent But I Was Routing For The Guy Who I Thought Brings More Excitement To The Sport I Also Was Routing For Hamed Against Vasquez . While Routing For The Home Team Is The Norm I Think Its Important To Realise That Boxing Is A World Sport And The Guy From Your Erea Isnt Always The Best. By The Way The Puerto Rican Public Has Made Hatton An Honorary Puerto Rican After The Floyd Fight Not Cause He Lost But Because He Had The Balls To Go In There Against All Odds And We Just Respect That Kind Of Heart.
RICH is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum