Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-27-2008, 03:49 PM   #46
Smazz20
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: A question for posters on the british forum.

I'm Irish and my fav boxer is JC. Although when I first heard of him he was calling out Collins (who was my fav at the time) and I thought he was an arrogant cunt But generally speaking i'll root for Iirsh and British fighters whenever their fighting Americans/Continental Europeans/Asians etc. But whenever an Irish fighter is fighting, i'll root for him. Such as McCullough against Scott Harrison, even though Harrison was one of my favs. Then there's the likes of Khan, whom I want to see beaten by Ko after being outboxed, just to shut him up and I don't care who does it.
Smazz20 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2008, 04:08 PM   #47
SevenSamurai
3 year ESB vet.
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

I live in England. I am 3/4 english and 1/4 scottish in terms of birth of grandparents.

I am one who will cheer on a fighter regardless of nationality.

I have no interest in where a fighter comes from, it is really irrelevant to me.

I am just as likely to cheer on an American fighter like Roy Jones, as I am to cheer on a english fighter like Chris Eubank.

This sport is about skill, heart, desire and personality and the nationality is of very little interest to me.

The only reason I have more knowledge and interest in "British" fighters, is that as I live in England there is more media focus on them. However, that is the only reason why I know more about the British domestic scene than the French or German scene for instance.

In terms of the Scottish vs English debate. I have cheered on scottish fighters against english ones, as I have cheered on english against scottish. The nationality is of very little importance to me.
SevenSamurai is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2008, 10:59 PM   #48
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Well thanks for the honest answers people, I genuinely appreciate it. However there were one or two who i thought *****footed a bit, but I will let them off this time The reason i asked isnt cos I want to spark a forum war of words again, as I have done enough of that in the past!

Theres a whole new wave of posters here now I have noticed, so I just wanted to catch the general mood of the forum now, regarding thoughts on british boxers, & the criteria they use when watching specific fights/fighters.
Once again thanks for the honest(I hope) replies, I doff my cap to you chaps who answered!
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2008, 11:08 PM   #49
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuey
i am english dunk, not british.
Now thats the kind of attitude I like
But I dont want to go on about it & turn it political, as I was accused of trying to do earlier on!
But I do like people who are fiercely proud of their own country.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:14 PM   #50
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggyland
Who gives a **** except you Dunky?

Find a political forum for all this bollocks....

I like Ghanaian fighters for the record....Where does that leave me pigeon holed?
Oh calm down dear Doggyland, Im not trying to start any political debate, believe it or not! Its a 100% honest question & I did excuse anyone who wasnt comfortable with it from having to answer.
On this thread, I wont be arguing. I was just gld that so many chose to share their feelings on the subject, & I respect that too much to challenge them on their boxing beliefs when I asked them to air them in the first place.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:36 PM   #51
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

As for me, Im a right patriotic jock who admittedly sometimes struggles to come to terms with people who dont have my mindset, that you should love your own country & everything that comes out of it more than anything else.
But its what I am, & I cant help it! & sometimes my passion can come across the wrong way, but you all know here that deep down somewhere I love you all in my own way!

Right, shock of shocks, I love scottish fighters above all else, & always want to see them win, no matter who they are fighting.
However, although some here dont believe me(Hitman Hatton ) I do like some other fighters from the UK!
Put it this way, I like Witter, & always want to see him win. I like Khan too, hes a good lad.
In fact, the one thing I noticed about this thread was the almost universal dislike of Kahn, I dont understand it.
I keep seeing people saying hes a ****y git & all that, & even guys who dont cheer us scots on said they wanted to see Limond beat him.

I dont get it at all, to me Khan is a nice lad, & for a guy who gets so much hype, I dont think hes that arrogant at all. He was on a tv show recently too trying to help young men who had took the wrong path in life to get their acts together, by teaching them to box.
Khan came across so well, even my missus likes him now & she couldnt give a shit about boxing!
& as Im scared of the missus, I dare not cheer against Khan now when he fights
I know I have went a bit off topic, but I think Khan gets a raw deal on ESB.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:38 AM   #52
sjc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Ah was just trying to wind you up Dunky with my initial post, which diddn't work at all I see.

Yeah I support all of GB about equally, maybe the Welsh slightly more than the Scots and Irish (for some reason) and English slightly more than the Welsh, but since boxing ain't a team sport i'll support just which fighter I like best. For instance I reckon I'm a bigger fan of Kessler than Hatton, Haye, Macca and Witter combined. Not because of Joe's legacy or owt, just cos He seems a top fella, real nice bloke.
sjc is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2008, 04:46 AM   #53
doggyland
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydoo
you're only saying that because you don't know if you are english or irish
You could have a point there Scooby in the context of my real life - but when it comes to boxing - i really don't give a shit .. Nationality means nothing to me in boxing - i can't get my head round a football mentality in boxing - it's an individual in the ring , not a club or team representing a city or country.
Any boxer who says they are fighting for their flag is having you on - he is fighting to win the bout for that 'w'.
doggyland is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2008, 04:47 AM   #54
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
You could have a point there Scooby in the context of my real life - but when it comes to boxing - i really don't give a shit .. Nationality means nothing to me in boxing - i can't get my head round a football mentality in boxing - it's an individual in the ring , not a club or team representing a city or country.
Any boxer who says they are fighting for their flag is having you on - he is fighting to win the bout for that 'w'.
Pretty much reminds me of Ricky Hatton fans.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2008, 05:49 AM   #55
Polymath
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
Now thats the kind of attitude I like
But I dont want to go on about it & turn it political, as I was accused of trying to do earlier on!
But I do like people who are fiercely proud of their own country.
I hate those sorts of people. They are the drunken Hatton fans. Soccer fans generally. The Americans who'll support Bush as soon as he gets little flag out etc.

Here's a question: do you support the Eastern Euro Heavyweights when theyre fighting Americans?
Polymath is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2008, 06:30 AM   #56
Napuis
Straight talkin' mo'fuhha
ESB Full Member

Quote:
I hope you dont mind me asking, & this thread could possibly bomb, cos its so close to the bone.
However, Im going to ask anyway.

Most people here are from Scotland, England, NI.Ireland, ROI & Wales.

So how do you view british boxing? Do you cheer on fighters from your own country above anyone else, or do you cheer on fighters from the aforementioned countries equally, as we are all 'british'
Don't mention the Irish and the word British in the same sentence, I mentioned it once, I think I got away with it...

Wait til Healy gets here he'll have a mental breakdown...
Napuis is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2008, 06:51 AM   #57
gutto
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I tend to support a fighter whose style I like not really the county.If two fighters were fighting I did not know one from Scotland and one from England I would suport the english fighter. To be honest I dont see it as British boxing your English or your not. If your Scotish your Scotish and the same goes for Welsh ect. I dont see any shame in that. Unless were going to war with outsiders there is no need for the word British.
gutto is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2008, 07:22 AM   #58
themacallan
Chin Chin
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
i was ******g ****ing around.

A lot of boxers identify where their gym is and sometimes this is in dog-rough working class football areas (as it should be).
The fans, and i call them that loosely, latch onto them because they think they support the area and team.

a few boxers have hidden the team they support as it would have been detrimental to the amount of fans through the gate to see them, a shame. there is nothing more stupid than hearing someone not supporting a boxer because he is a ****ing orange/ fenian bastard.

i'm more cynical and say boxers are fighting for the money first.
themacallan is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2008, 07:27 AM   #59
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

I cheer on all Brits. It doesn't matter where they come from.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2008, 07:29 AM   #60
Tony Harrison
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
I hope you dont mind me asking, & this thread could possibly bomb, cos its so close to the bone.
However, Im going to ask anyway.

Most people here are from Scotland, England, NI.Ireland, ROI & Wales.

So how do you view british boxing? Do you cheer on fighters from your own country above anyone else, or do you cheer on fighters from the aforementioned countries equally, as we are all 'british'

I ask as I want to find out just how 'british' people from these shores truly feel.
As I said before though, this is a tough question so I dont mind if certain posters wish to avoid it cos its a cutting question.
So if you are still reading, are you a poster who cheers on fighters from these shores equally? Or do you want people from your own country to win above all else?
& the question is aimed at the english, scots, Irish & welsh.

& lets have some honest answers please. No *****footing around. I hate *****footers.
As an Englishman I would support an English fighter against another British fighter. However I always support British guys regardless of their nationality.

You seem to be constantly preoccupied by the lack of nationalism you see on these message boards. It simply is not as important to most on here as it obviously is to you.

I'm not having a dig or anything I enjoy most of your posts and threads but they do always have a very pro-Scottish theme and you can come across as somewhat irrational occasionally.
Tony Harrison is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum