Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 09-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #31
The Spider

vCash:
Default Re: After seeing Martinez tonight, im not convinced Geale could handle him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise Above View Post
Chavez isnt really a middleweight thats why he was taking all that punishment. I mean what woud he have weighed yesterday, 180-190 lbs?
Draining to make weight seems to be at times detrimental to chin durability, regardless of a fighter's size dominance in the actual match-up.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #32
Rise Above
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 210
Default Re: After seeing Martinez tonight, im not convinced Geale could handle him

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
Draining to make weight seems to be at times detrimental to chin durability, regardless of a fighter's size dominance in the actual match-up.
Fair point. Seen it happen to quite a few fighters but I think its alot easier for a younger fighter to lose weight and not have it affect his punch resistance. Either way Chavez has used his size at middleweight to his advantage in most of his fights.
Rise Above is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #33
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise Above View Post
Fair point. Seen it happen to quite a few fighters but I think its alot easier for a younger fighter to lose weight and not have it affect his punch resistance. Either way Chavez has used his size at middleweight to his advantage in most of his fights.
True
Old 09-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #34
Francis75
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyking View Post
Geale has a punchers chance. Martinez is a class above Geale. Geale is an honest hard working fighter who will give a good effort but will lose.
No he doesn't. Geale can't punch at all at the elite level. He won't win on workrate either. Martinez showed incredible stamina and workrate yesterday. The only chance Geale has imo is if Martinez somehow gets real old overnight.

Martinez beats Geale 118-110/117-111 or thereabouts.
Francis75 is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #35
donkeyking
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis75 View Post
No he doesn't. Geale can't punch at all at the elite level. He won't win on workrate either. Martinez showed incredible stamina and workrate yesterday. The only chance Geale has imo is if Martinez somehow gets real old overnight.

Martinez beats Geale 118-110/117-111 or thereabouts.
I know. Just wanted to keep the Sox and his lynch mob off my case.
donkeyking is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #36
Francis75
Champion
East Side Guru

Was Geale and his team at the fight ? Did they make any "noise" regarding a bout with Martinez and if not why did they go over there.
Francis75 is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #37
donkeyking
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Was Geale and his team at the fight ? Did they make any "noise" regarding a bout with Martinez and if not why did they go over there.
No. No. No idea.
donkeyking is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #38
Straight Shoota
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Martinez camp and promoters are talking rematch havnt heard anything about the Real Deal as of yet
Straight Shoota is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #39
fighta29
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Daniel was there.
fighta29 is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #40
whipsy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

I said to a mate i was watching it with, It just shows how little Geale is know, he is there at the fight, not once was he mentioned, no cutaway shots to him, Didnt get in teh ring and challenge anyone...
whipsy is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #41
fighta29
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipsy View Post
I said to a mate i was watching it with, It just shows how little Geale is know, he is there at the fight, not once was he mentioned, no cutaway shots to him, Didnt get in teh ring and challenge anyone...
True that. You would think with the titles he holds, he would have got a mention.
fighta29 is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #42
whipsy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighta29 View Post
True that. You would think with the titles he holds, he would have got a mention.
I was expecting something, even just a mention and a shot of him sitting at the fight
whipsy is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #43
stiflers mum
Gartlett nuthugger #1
East Side Guru

vCash: 700

Geale should fight Macklin for U.S exposure.
stiflers mum is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2012, 10:49 PM   #44
like a boss
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiflers mum View Post
Geale should fight Macklin for U.S exposure.
US exposure or UK exposure?
like a boss is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2012, 11:10 PM   #45
PorkChopExpress
Champion of the Universe
ESB Senior Member

I agree in that Martinez wins 99 times out of 100 - I expect Geale to fair MUCH better than Chavez. Chavez was outgunned on every level and completely shut down.

He was shown to be little more than his fathers name imo (before and after this fight). Meeting someone in the ring with the skills Martinez has just shut him down. He had no answer and he knew it. Until the final round when Martinez stood to bang and then the thing that Chavez has been using to his advantage until now (his size) came into play and he got the KD.

It took Martinez making a mistake for Chavez to gain ANY upperhand.

Geale on the other hand will put in more of fight. He's got angles and workrate, something Chavez has never shown (again, imo) and I think he'll be hungrier than Chavez. Geale will get beaten possibly KO'ed, but he wont lose every round on the way and he'll give Martinez fits at times with his awkward style.

I will give Geale this, he is great at controlling a fight and the pace of a fight. If he has anything to give himself a chance, it's that ability. But yeah, 8 times out of 10, Martinez wins.
PorkChopExpress is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum