Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-24-2012, 12:08 AM   #46
Earl-hickey
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 765
Default Re: Pavlik: Who is without a dance partner that he could face? UPDATED:WARD says pos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
If the Mighty Lujuan Simon could split AA's guard, Pavlik would make it look non existent within a few rounds of beating the shit out of AA's arms.
The problem is, when Abraham does his customary last minute surges he will be caving Pavliks face in with sledgehammers as Pavlik cant avoid them

Pavlik is done, he's booze marinated, his body is shot.
Earl-hickey is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2012, 12:12 AM   #47
WatchfortheHook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1894
Default Re: Pavlik: Who is without a dance partner that he could face? UPDATED:WARD says pos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald_head_slick View Post
Bad fight for Kelly. He needs to get back to 100%. Ward will school him. Bad.
Agree completely. It would be a bad strategy overall. If he was looking for a cash out, I'm not sure I would cash out against Ward. If I were trying to get my career back on track and make several more fights out of my career, I would not jump from Rosinsky to Ward.

I still think he should take 1 more fight, a gradually step up, before he takes on the major players at 168. The reasons that I think he needs 1 more fight 1) Froch is tied up for an extensive period of time, and Kessler is tied up. 2). Pavlik has kind of looked underwhelming in recent fights 3). Most important, if I were moving Pavlik's career I would not fight Ward simply because he's available. These are the following I would look into:

1). Edwin Rodriguez- Not sure if he's considered a step up due to his own struggles with Rosinsky, but he's a rising prospect.

2). Adonis Stevenson- If Stevenson impressively stops Don George it can create a little more buzz around him. I believe Stevenson is also the #1 contender to Froch, which is a fight Pavlik has said he wants. I also think this is a winnable fight for Pavlik (though dangerous)

3). Arthur Abraham- Comes with a belt, this fight was desparately wanted years ago, why not now? This is also a very winnable fight for Pavlik and one he might look impressive in.

4).Robert Stieglitz- I don't expect this to even be looked into, but it would be good for him to take out a former champ if he's just going to wait for Froch or Kessler's schedules to clear up.
WatchfortheHook is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2012, 12:21 AM   #48
Big Red
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchfortheHook View Post
Agree completely. It would be a bad strategy overall. If he was looking for a cash out, I'm not sure I would cash out against Ward. If I were trying to get my career back on track and make several more fights out of my career, I would not jump from Rosinsky to Ward.

I still think he should take 1 more fight, a gradually step up, before he takes on the major players at 168. The reasons that I think he needs 1 more fight 1) Froch is tied up for an extensive period of time, and Kessler is tied up. 2). Pavlik has kind of looked underwhelming in recent fights 3). Most important, if I were moving Pavlik's career I would not fight Ward simply because he's available. These are the following I would look into:

1). Edwin Rodriguez- Not sure if he's considered a step up due to his own struggles with Rosinsky, but he's a rising prospect.

2). Adonis Stevenson- If Stevenson impressively stops Don George it can create a little more buzz around him. I believe Stevenson is also the #1 contender to Froch, which is a fight Pavlik has said he wants. I also think this is a winnable fight for Pavlik (though dangerous)

3). Arthur Abraham- Comes with a belt, this fight was desparately wanted years ago, why not now? This is also a very winnable fight for Pavlik and one he might look impressive in.

4).Robert Stieglitz- I don't expect this to even be looked into, but it would be good for him to take out a former champ if he's just going to wait for Froch or Kessler's schedules to clear up.
I used to think the same thing as you. The difference now is that Ward has dominated everyone in and around Kelly's weight so losing to Ward and even by landslide is not really that bad imo, because everyone else has anyway.

And Pavlik can get a good pay day and if he makes it even close that is a lot better then anyone else has done. So I think the fight should be made. And Kelly always has the punchers chance and that would be huge if he did that.
Big Red is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2012, 12:26 AM   #49
Thatman
No respond troll pactards
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Ward will probably stop Kelly late.
Thatman is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2012, 12:56 AM   #50
WatchfortheHook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
I used to think the same thing as you. The difference now is that Ward has dominated everyone in and around Kelly's weight so losing to Ward and even by landslide is not really that bad imo, because everyone else has anyway.

And Pavlik can get a good pay day and if he makes it even close that is a lot better then anyone else has done. So I think the fight should be made. And Kelly always has the punchers chance and that would be huge if he did that.
It's hard to imagine Kelly getting Ward out of there.

It just seems that if he took Ward straight off of Rosinsky it would be a cashout....and if he wanted to cash himself out, I think there are ways he could make more money than taking on Ward straight away.

If he began negotiations with Ward he doesn't have much to bring to the table. All he really has is "I was a really big name in 2007-08 and really haven't done much of anything since then". Realistically, the PPVs he did...didn't do well. Ward is coming off a fight where over 1 million people watched on HBO.....and he has 2 belts. Pavlik has no belts and hasn't been put on HBO/Showtime in quite some time...also take into consideration he has pulled out of fights on numerous occasions and from that standpoint has a reputation of being reliable.

It seems to me, he has a better chance of making more money and winning fighting other guys.

I think the only person that benefits from a Ward/Pavlik matchup is Ward.
WatchfortheHook is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2012, 01:19 AM   #51
Big Red
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchfortheHook View Post
It's hard to imagine Kelly getting Ward out of there.

It just seems that if he took Ward straight off of Rosinsky it would be a cashout....and if he wanted to cash himself out, I think there are ways he could make more money than taking on Ward straight away.

If he began negotiations with Ward he doesn't have much to bring to the table. All he really has is "I was a really big name in 2007-08 and really haven't done much of anything since then". Realistically, the PPVs he did...didn't do well. Ward is coming off a fight where over 1 million people watched on HBO.....and he has 2 belts. Pavlik has no belts and hasn't been put on HBO/Showtime in quite some time...also take into consideration he has pulled out of fights on numerous occasions and from that standpoint has a reputation of being reliable.

It seems to me, he has a better chance of making more money and winning fighting other guys.

I think the only person that benefits from a Ward/Pavlik matchup is Ward.
I don't think Pavlik has much to lose against Ward though. If he gets dominated its no big deal because so has everyone else.

If Pavlik loses every round against Ward I still think he could get fights with Froch or Chavez or some other name in and around his weight. And maybe it will get him more in the mix of things.

I think its time for Pavlik to make his move, he even said himself he does not really need any more tune ups after his last fight. He has been in the game for 12 years. He just needed to get the alcohol out of his system to get that little bit of athleticsm he has back.

A fighter like Kelly has to be clean even more so then most fighters because he did not have much speed to lose in the first place. And he needs a high work rate to beat these top fighters.
Big Red is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2012, 01:46 AM   #52
Nonito Smoak
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk View Post
Pavlik vs Abraham would still be fun.
Abraham, Stieglitz, and Oosthuizen are the "bigger names" of the division he should be going after.

Ward would beyond massacre Pavlik, Kessler would do damage in an easy win, and I think to a lesser extent the same would probably happen with Froch.

That said, I would def pick him to KO Bute if they were matched up to fight.
Nonito Smoak is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2012, 11:51 PM   #53
Hermit
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post

Agreed. Pavlik has little to lose in this one. If he looks better than Kessler or Froch did then it is a positive.
Hermit is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2012, 12:07 AM   #54
Hermit
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimps View Post
Bad fight for Pav. It'll be B-Hop v. Pav II.
You don't think Garcia has helped any?
Hermit is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2012, 03:37 AM   #55
rayhogan
Dont worry Pac, you wont
East Side VIP

Quote:
How can u say if garcia did help pavlik if pavlik have face cab drivers since his return? Lets see if pavlik really improved by facing a better opponent.
rayhogan is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2012, 04:05 AM   #56
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248
Default Re: Pavlik: Who is without a dance partner that he could face?

Quote:
Originally Posted by |A|C|S| View Post
Kelly Pavlik needs to back to 160 he lost everythin at 168 he doesnt even seem like he got power anymore
His lifestyle won't alow him to make 160 anymore. I agree that he'd hold decisive physical advantages against most MW's but if you can't make the weight, you can't make the weight. I'd rather see him make 168 healthily and do his best than try to drain down to 160 and be a shadow of himself.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #57
jsimps
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
It didn't hurt him. The change of environment is good. He is around boxing people in Oxnard. However...
jsimps is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #58
SA Boxing fan
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 177

Would love to see Pavlik and Oosthuizen in the ring.
SA Boxing fan is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #59
One Round
Hertfordshire's Finest
ESB Senior Member

Ward would be a horrendous choice for Pavlik's career.
One Round is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #60
Box84
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

From what I remember reading at the time. Pavlik was calling out Froch. When Froch began looking for an opponent we started hearing Pavilik needed a few more fights, didn't want to come to the UK etc.
Box84 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum