Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Need to find a good sparring partner for a fighter....

So we have a fighter coming down to the gym...Jeremiah Witherspoon....he has been without a real trainer for awhile....anyhow he is going to be coming to the gym for the next few weeks...i sparred him yesterday..... I can give him some work, and i caught him with some shots..but its really not good work...he can cruise with me going 70 percent. I saw some openings, but just didnt have the reflexes or the reach to take advantage (i dont really train myself much....just spar some and do some bag work).

The guy he will be fighting is 6"3 and a pretty good fighter..so i would like to find some good heavyweight, or at least cruiser weight pros, (or even golden glove level amateurs) to give him some sparring work.

anyone know of a good way to get a fighter like that? I am in Johnstown pa...about 60 miles east of Pittsburgh, 200 miles west of Philly.....and 300 miles north east of Washington DC. Even just one or two good sparring sessions would be helpful.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Need to find a good sparring partner for a fighter....

maybe Magna can drop by if he is in western pa sometime, lol.

I promise I wont revel who he is...
Old 02-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
123ko
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

cant help with any sparring partners ,,,don't you have to pay for the more challenging sparring partners

maybe put a price for 6 rounds ,,then you could have a list to pick from

even travel expenses and a bacon cob would do for some
123ko is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123ko View Post
cant help with any sparring partners ,,,don't you have to pay for the more challenging sparring partners

maybe put a price for 6 rounds ,,then you could have a list to pick from

even travel expenses and a bacon cob would do for some
thats the problem....i mean..maybe we travel to the location...we can get some guys who need work themselves and will spar for free...

as for me...the top of my head and neck feels like i had a sledge hammer dropped on it...

i have been sparring with mma fighters...as well as one pretty new 160 pound 19 year old and one good 110 pound 13 year old...doesnt really get you use to taking the shots you take off a pro heavyweight..lol
Old 02-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Fly me out, if you don't mind that I'm actually 160lbs at a push and suffering from the flu?

But I'd like to come to Pittsburgh for a look around, so I'll happily float like a butterfly for six minutes.
SJS19 is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJS19 View Post
Fly me out, if you don't mind that I'm actually 160lbs at a push and suffering from the flu?

But I'd like to come to Pittsburgh for a look around, so I'll happily float like a butterfly for six minutes.
lol
Old 02-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

we actually have a pro heavyweight fighter who drives out to pittsburgh to train, andres taylor..his dad is the head trainer...

but i dont know if they get along well enough for andres to even come down and spar this guy.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #8
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

MAGNA!!!! Come to Johnstown pa and give our fighter some work..i can't pay you..but i can buy you a meal at our local subway...just right up the street from our gym.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:18 AM   #9
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
we actually have a pro heavyweight fighter who drives out to pittsburgh to train, andres taylor..his dad is the head trainer...

but i dont know if they get along well enough for andres to even come down and spar this guy.
Taylor sounds like the best sparring he could get in that part of PA (dude just fought Rakhim Chakhiev and din't do terribly). If you're only 60 miles from Pittsburgh wouldn't it make sense to drive your guy out twice a week? I know there has to be sparring in Pittsburgh...

Also wtf is a golden gloves level fighter? I fought in a golden gloves tournament in my first fight lol. Maybe narrow that down to STATE level fighters before you have a dumpsterful of dead subnovice fighters to hide...
KillSomething is online now  Top
Old 02-27-2013, 12:28 AM   #10
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
Taylor sounds like the best sparring he could get in that part of PA (dude just fought Rakhim Chakhiev and din't do terribly). If you're only 60 miles from Pittsburgh wouldn't it make sense to drive your guy out twice a week? I know there has to be sparring in Pittsburgh...

Also wtf is a golden gloves level fighter? I fought in a golden gloves tournament in my first fight lol. Maybe narrow that down to STATE level fighters before you have a dumpsterful of dead subnovice fighters to hide...
well i mean guys who actually won, either at the state level or western pa level over the past 6 years from 178 up to super heavy. I should have made clear.

I don't think Calvin (the head trainer) and his son Andres get along all that well...Calvin desided to go with Tom Yanknello out in Pittsburgh.

I actually talked about it with Calvin today, saying how we should get someone who is over 6 foot....he couldnt think of anyone..but than did say maybe we will drive out to pittsburgh to andres gym because they have a few pro heavys out there over 6 foot....but he didnt mention andres (who is about 6 foot himself)

so my guess is andres is out.....

a few fighters out in pittsburgh would fit the bill.....

Spoon has about 3 weeks to the fight....he is coming to the gym tomorrow..and will spar him again..but hopefully we can get him some better sparring for next week.....that will be about his last bit of sparring he can get.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:31 AM   #11
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post

actually after he went with me Calvin put in this one kid with him who is 160 and hasnt had a fight yet and will be in the golden gloves this week in the subnovice class....he actually has some good tools...but doesnt yet know how to move his head at all between combos...ended up looking like Spoon was hitting a speed bag...i felt bad for the kid..i know how to slip and roll my shoulders so i usually only eat a few clean punches even if i am out classed.....

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing