Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #16
Michael300
Fighting back.....
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Up and about
Posts: 1,656
vCash: 500
Default Re: British boxing magazine, your thoughts?

Not to knock what you're doing mate, I like the idea and I like what I see, but I'm a traditionalist and like the 'real thing' tbh.

Also speaking as a collector who has every Boxing News from the last twenty years (and most of the Boxing Monthly's), I like to have something 'to show' for my money; for me nothing beats the sound of Boxing News' plopping through my letterbox every Thursday afternoon (the post round my way is shocking!).

I have no agenda, wishing you the best in your venture, its just that I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who feels that way...........or am I?!
Michael300 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #17
Seanplfc
@BritBoxMag
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 237
vCash: 1081
Default Re: British boxing magazine, your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennison View Post
I'm a boxing news subscriber, but your magazine is very good value for money it's just getting your name out there I guess, I'll download and pay for a year when I get home.
Thanks Dennison, keeping it as cheap as possible mate. Subscription isnt available for another week, or 1st October when the issue comes out (blame Apple!)

So i'll post on here to let you know!
Seanplfc is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #18
Seanplfc
@BritBoxMag
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 237
vCash: 1081
Default Re: British boxing magazine, your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael300 View Post
Not to knock what you're doing mate, I like the idea and I like what I see, but I'm a traditionalist and like the 'real thing' tbh.

Also speaking as a collector who has every Boxing News from the last twenty years (and most of the Boxing Monthly's), I like to have something 'to show' for my money; for me nothing beats the sound of Boxing News' plopping through my letterbox every Thursday afternoon (the post round my way is shocking!).

I have no agenda, wishing you the best in your venture, its just that I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who feels that way...........or am I?!
Fully understand mate, cheers for the feedback. I was negative over the idea of an e-magazine when they first came to fruition, but after testing them out on a few platforms -online and mobile etc- I've really come round to them.

To actually get a printed product out distributed over the UK costs thousands, and after a bit of research I found number of paper-based sales have dropped drastically in the last few years, with people opting for the 'on the go' digital versions more and more.

Hopefully we can win you round one day
Seanplfc is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #19
alba
Guess who?
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,595
vCash: 1000
Default Re: British boxing magazine, your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael300 View Post
Not to knock what you're doing mate, I like the idea and I like what I see, but I'm a traditionalist and like the 'real thing' tbh.

Also speaking as a collector who has every Boxing News from the last twenty years (and most of the Boxing Monthly's), I like to have something 'to show' for my money; for me nothing beats the sound of Boxing News' plopping through my letterbox every Thursday afternoon (the post round my way is shocking!).

I have no agenda, wishing you the best in your venture, its just that I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who feels that way...........or am I?!

well you could just print it off
alba is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #20
Michael300
Fighting back.....
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Up and about
Posts: 1,656
vCash: 500
Default Re: British boxing magazine, your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanplfc View Post
Fully understand mate, cheers for the feedback. I was negative over the idea of an e-magazine when they first came to fruition, but after testing them out on a few platforms -online and mobile etc- I've really come round to them.

To actually get a printed product out distributed over the UK costs thousands, and after a bit of research I found number of paper-based sales have dropped drastically in the last few years, with people opting for the 'on the go' digital versions more and more.

Hopefully we can win you round one day
Thanks for the very decent reply, I might just give it a go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alba View Post
well you could just print it off
Michael300 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #21
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hong Kong via Sunderland
Posts: 3,498
vCash: 500
Default Re: British boxing magazine, your thoughts?

A little point; I know in the media world 'bimonthlies' mean one magazine in two but bimonthly/biweekly/biyearly are essentially ****ing ridiculous words as they hae two meaning which are pretty much contradictory!

Personally I'd drop the "Bimonthly" and refer to it as 'Sept/Oct' or a clearer phrase.


Looks good though!
Lilo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #22
Seanplfc
@BritBoxMag
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 237
vCash: 1081
Default Re: British boxing magazine, your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilo View Post
A little point; I know in the media world 'bimonthlies' mean one magazine in two but bimonthly/biweekly/biyearly are essentially ****ing ridiculous words as they hae two meaning which are pretty much contradictory!

Personally I'd drop the "Bimonthly" and refer to it as 'Sept/Oct' or a clearer phrase.


Looks good though!
Cheers, take that on board. We just included bi-monthly so that anyone subscribing for a year is clear they're getting 6 issues and not 12 pal, although it will be monthly next year to avoid the confusion!
Seanplfc is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #23
Dennison
Guru
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: England
Posts: 1,539
vCash: 75
Default Re: British boxing magazine, your thoughts?

Is it on the apple store for iPad? Can't find it searching for brit box
Dennison is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #24
brickfists
The Nonpareil
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dublin
Posts: 4,342
vCash: 542
Default Re: British boxing magazine, your thoughts?

Sean just out of curiosity how much capital would it take to get something like this going (ballpark figure) ? what with the quality design and all it must not be cheap, if you don't mind answering that is.
brickfists is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #25
Seanplfc
@BritBoxMag
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 237
vCash: 1081
Default Re: British boxing magazine, your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennison View Post
Is it on the apple store for iPad? Can't find it searching for brit box
We're waiting on Apple to get it up mate-- should be next week, or defo up 1st week of October for the release. I'll post on here and let everyone know!
Seanplfc is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #26
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 10,854
vCash: 500
Default Re: British boxing magazine, your thoughts?

Like it, Looks the part.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #27
Seanplfc
@BritBoxMag
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 237
vCash: 1081
Default Re: British boxing magazine, your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickfists View Post
Sean just out of curiosity how much capital would it take to get something like this going (ballpark figure) ? what with the quality design and all it must not be cheap, if you don't mind answering that is.
10-15 grand...so you better buy it! Haha. No, well, it helps that the designer is yours truly with over a years experience at another sports magazine too ... So ball park (very rough at that mate) without designer fees & writer fees, everything considered, website etc over 600ish? Bare in mind a lot of the writers are contributing for free for the first year too as a help for me (most of them get paid for other big boxing publications). I'd say the cost of it is more huge man hours, interviews, writing, editing, designing, promoting etc, but it's important for us to keep it cheaper than the other magazines, we just want something different and informative for casual AND hardcore fans.
Seanplfc is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #28
EnglishWay
KO King 2010
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: England
Posts: 1,831
vCash: 1197
Default Re: British boxing magazine, your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanplfc View Post
The designs are quite nifty too, just need a few more ideas to get people what they want!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
looks smart from this preview.
EnglishWay is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #29
brickfists
The Nonpareil
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dublin
Posts: 4,342
vCash: 542
Default Re: British boxing magazine, your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanplfc View Post
10-15 grand...so you better buy it! Haha. No, well, it helps that the designer is yours truly with over a years experience at another sports magazine too ... So ball park (very rough at that mate) without designer fees & writer fees, everything considered, website etc over 600ish? Bare in mind a lot of the writers are contributing for free for the first year too as a help for me (most of them get paid for other big boxing publications). I'd say the cost of it is more huge man hours, interviews, writing, editing, designing, promoting etc, but it's important for us to keep it cheaper than the other magazines, we just want something different and informative for casual AND hardcore fans.
I see, well thanks for the work you guy's are putting in, the more boxing coverage the better, hope it works out for you's
brickfists is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #30
Trail
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 420
vCash: 500
Default Re: British boxing magazine, your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanplfc View Post
It's bi-monthly first year, so 6 issues, (easier to get us started up) monthly starting next year once we get it rolling.

App is free to download, then 1.99 an issue or 8.99 for the whole year!
First issue just 99p to view online as a launch offer. Hopefully it's going to be top quality stuff and worth it. Only British boxing magazine out there and cheaper than other mags
I'll be buying. Just been on your website. Is the 99p online available now or do we have to wait until October? I live abroad and have big roaming charges so I can't iPhone it, so I'll have to get the online version. Please advise...

Regards
Trail is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013