Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Frazier vs Larry Holmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

this is another way to hit norton with a jab, the whole fight is on this guys chan

here is another segment of holmes hitting marvis frazier all night with his jab (haha) if it wasnt for frazier clowning we would have a much better idea of how larry would handle his dad,

Marvis was NOTHING like his old man. Not a valid comparisson.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #17
luke
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Marvis was NOTHING like his old man. Not a valid comparisson.
very true, but he slipped and blocked holmes jab for the whole first round, trying to imitate his father, imagaine what a smaller frazier would do, its just basic boxing science, jabber movers have trouble with swarmers.
luke is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #18
Danmann
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I'd root for Frazier, better person, but I would pick Holme,s slight edge. Frazier did not have that one punch ko power attributed to him by some, unless he really got chance to get set and dig in. The edge I give Holmes is slight, but Holmes was tough, and strong. Frazier's downfall would be how easy he was to hit. Ali is more famous, on more lists, but had no punch. Holmes could punch a bit.
Danmann is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #19
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Frazier would struggle with Holmes, and Joe agreed with that sentiment.

I've always asked him what fight with another great heavyweight in history he would have been most loathe to take, and he always answered me, in private, with Larry Holmes, because that jab would 'hurt'.

To me, that is in fact the key. Ali beat Joe up and busted him up, but had a hard time keeping his respect with solid power connects, which is why Joe gave him so much trouble.

Holmes was more stationary, on one hand, but on the other, had more sting in all his punches. In round 8, I believe, of Ali vs. Frazier II, Ali lands a TRIPLE jab. 1,2,3 jabs, fully extended, flush, as Ali is retreating to the ropes. Joe's head snaps back, and he keeps coming. If those 3 jabs were from Holmes, Joe wouldn't have walked through them.

If Smoke can get at Holmes consistently, he has a great shot to win. But I give Larry the edge because he could, in fact, hurt at deter Joe at a distance. Joe would struggle more boxing with Larry than he did with Ali and other boxers, because Larry was a PUNISHING opponent to face at range. Not just difficult, punishing.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #20
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
Frazier would struggle with Holmes, and Joe agreed with that sentiment.

I've always asked him what fight with another great heavyweight in history he would have been most loathe to take, and he always answered me, in private, with Larry Holmes, because that jab would 'hurt'.

To me, that is in fact the key. Ali beat Joe up and busted him up, but had a hard time keeping his respect with solid power connects, which is why Joe gave him so much trouble.

Holmes was more stationary, on one hand, but on the other, had more sting in all his punches. In round 8, I believe, of Ali vs. Frazier II, Ali lands a TRIPLE jab. 1,2,3 jabs, fully extended, flush, as Ali is retreating to the ropes. Joe's head snaps back, and he keeps coming. If those 3 jabs were from Holmes, Joe wouldn't have walked through them.

If Smoke can get at Holmes consistently, he has a great shot to win. But I give Larry the edge because he could, in fact, hurt at deter Joe at a distance. Joe would struggle more boxing with Larry than he did with Ali and other boxers, because Larry was a PUNISHING opponent to face at range. Not just difficult, punishing.
By the half way mark Frazier's face would look like it had put in a bees nest .

Last edited by mcvey; 09-21-2012 at 07:00 AM.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2012, 05:02 AM   #21
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Against THAT Frazier, Holmes would have a field day and would probably stop Frazier before the final bell. Bad matchup.
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2012, 07:10 AM   #22
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

This is an amazing match up ... prime for prime I like Joe over 15 ... Holmes has a better shot over 12 but I still favor Joe ..
he grant is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2012, 07:36 AM   #23
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
This is an amazing match up ... prime for prime I like Joe over 15 ... Holmes has a better shot over 12 but I still favor Joe ..

Just like Muhammad Ali,Holmes would have far more trouble with Joe Frazier than he would with George Foreman.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #24
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
very true, but he slipped and blocked holmes jab for the whole first round, trying to imitate his father, imagaine what a smaller frazier would do, its just basic boxing science, jabber movers have trouble with swarmers.

With all respect to Smokin' Joe,whom I've always admired,what the bloody hell was going through his mind when he signed his kid up to meet Larry Holmes ??? He was nothing more than a novice at this point in time. I've always maintained that Gerry Cooney was woefully ill prepared for Holmes,but I think Frazier Jr was even more so.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #25
luke
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
With all respect to Smokin' Joe,whom I've always admired,what the bloody hell was going through his mind when he signed his kid up to meet Larry Holmes ??? He was nothing more than a novice at this point in time. I've always maintained that Gerry Cooney was woefully ill prepared for Holmes,but I think Frazier Jr was even more so.

400k payday back then was alot, i dont know either, frazier was a good fighter though some decent names on his resume, would be a belt holder 5 years down the line easy.
luke is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #26
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
400k payday back then was alot, i dont know either, frazier was a good fighter though some decent names on his resume, would be a belt holder 5 years down the line easy.

Marvis had n't beaten anyone of note. As much as I liked Joe Bugner,he was fat and over the hill when Marvis fought him in his last fight before Holmes.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #27
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Prime for prime I favor Joe substantially, but at this stage it's a drubbing in favor of Holmes.
Shake is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #28
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

prime for prime, frazier.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #29
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Holmes wins. Frazier wasn't a good boxer. He was behind a over weight Mathis, and was down early to Ellis. Holmes would not wilt the way those two did.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2012, 12:43 AM   #30
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Peak for Peak Id favor Joe by late stoppage.

We saw Larry Holmes get hurt and dropped a few times but he was always able to recover. Usually it was one big shot that decked him. Holmes had a huge heart.

With Frazier different ballgame. Joe is going to get inside and punish Holmes`s body. Consistant body punishment over 8- 10 rounds is going to cut Larry`s legs and recuperative powers down.

Holmes was a great fighter but I dont believe he had quite Ali`s level of chin not to mention Ali`s unreal ability to take body punches.

If the fight is anytime after Manila Holmes probably wins a comfortable decision.
ETM is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum