Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 09-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075
Default Heart rate monitor training

Hi all

I recently bought a heart rate monitor (polar rs100), just wondering if anyone has any tips/ advice on the most effective way to use them. Iv used it a couple times still figuring my way around it but so far so good.

I like seeing what HR% im working at although im finding it hard to find an accurate description of what is effectively an aerobic and anaerobic zones. Eg I did a spin class this morning and was at 75%-80% of my max HR for most of the time according to the display however while this felt reasonably tough i still feel i within a comfortable pace and the monitor wanted me between 65-75% as my aerobic zone. Might need to go into the manual settings. The instructor taking the class reckons sometimes if your already fit they dont work out your limits very effectively eg im 24 but possibly have more in common with the 20 year old HR % / limits

Its pretty straight forward to get into an "aerobic zone". But would like any advice on best way to train intervals/ anaerobic work.

I would say im really fit at the moment, my "cardio" / interval training is definatly my biggest strength but i just want to take it to the next level now!

Any general advice/ tips/ links ect appreciated
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
TVLPC
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Heart rate monitor training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy2007 View Post
Hi all

I recently bought a heart rate monitor (polar rs100), just wondering if anyone has any tips/ advice on the most effective way to use them. Iv used it a couple times still figuring my way around it but so far so good.

I like seeing what HR% im working at although im finding it hard to find an accurate description of what is effectively an aerobic and anaerobic zones. Eg I did a spin class this morning and was at 75%-80% of my max HR for most of the time according to the display however while this felt reasonably tough i still feel i within a comfortable pace and the monitor wanted me between 65-75% as my aerobic zone. Might need to go into the manual settings. The instructor taking the class reckons sometimes if your already fit they dont work out your limits very effectively eg im 24 but possibly have more in common with the 20 year old HR % / limits

Its pretty straight forward to get into an "aerobic zone". But would like any advice on best way to train intervals/ anaerobic work.

I would say im really fit at the moment, my "cardio" / interval training is definatly my biggest strength but i just want to take it to the next level now!

Any general advice/ tips/ links ect appreciated
Use your HR monitor to take your resting heart rate and measure your heart rate recovery time first. Look up the Cooper's Test and use your monitor to find your anaerobic threshold. If you know this you can do threshold training, for intervals you can do all out effort work for a sustained period of time, allow heart rate recovery to a specific point, and repeat.

The most important thing is to get a good understanding of energy systems and you can find out how to train either the aerobic, lactic, alactic(anaerobic) energy system, or combination by simply ad******g work/rest time intervals.

The heart rate monitor is not going to be nearly as useful if you don't know the type of adaptations you are trying to improve upon.
TVLPC is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075
Default Re: Heart rate monitor training

great advice thankyou. i wil look into the Coopers test and start researching energy systems. I know the basics of energy systems but bought this HR monitor to really start to take things to the next level fitness and knowledge wise.

Thanks
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing