Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
Ripple633
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Should Dawson drop John Scully?

Dawson throughout his career had a total of eight trainers. He has had four different trainers in the last five years. Dawson was at his peak in 2007 when Floyd Sr was his trainer. Floyd Sr turned Dawson into a multidimensional boxer, he made Dawson fight like a true southpaw, teaching him lateral movement, and improving his defense. It's no coincidence that Dawson's skills have degraded since leaving Sr. Obviously constantly switching trainers will effect your performance, just imagine if Ward suddenly dropped Virgil Hill and went to Freddie Roach.

As for Scully I was always skeptical of him. I noticed Dawson's left hand wasn't effective as it used to be during his fight with Hopkins. He telegraphs with the left hand while leaving himself an unbalanced position. Had Dawson stayed with Steward he probably would have fought better. Hopkins is 47 years old, and he has no jab, Dawson should have landed a lot more against Hopkins.

I don't know what Scully is teaching him, but the fight against Ward was just poor preparation. Dawson's looked worse both offensively and defensively, it was just a terrible performance and Scully deserves some of that blame.
Ripple633 is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
compukiller
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Should Dawson drop John Scully?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripple633 View Post
Dawson throughout his career had a total of eight trainers. He has had four different trainers in the last five years. Dawson was at his peak in 2007 when Floyd Sr was his trainer. Floyd Sr turned Dawson into a multidimensional boxer, he made Dawson fight like a true southpaw, teaching him lateral movement, and improving his defense. It's no coincidence that Dawson's skills have degraded since leaving Sr. Obviously constantly switching trainers will effect your performance, just imagine if Ward suddenly dropped Virgil Hill and went to Freddie Roach.

As for Scully I was always skeptical of him. I noticed Dawson's left hand wasn't effective as it used to be during his fight with Hopkins. He telegraphs with the left hand while leaving himself an unbalanced position. Had Dawson stayed with Steward he probably would have fought better. Hopkins is 47 years old, and he has no jab, Dawson should have landed a lot more against Hopkins.

I don't know what Scully is teaching him, but the fight against Ward was just poor preparation. Dawson's looked worse both offensively and defensively, it was just a terrible performance and Scully deserves some of that blame.
I agree Floyd Sr. Was the best trainer for him, but at this point, I don't think anyone can save him. He has regressed to such a degree that he will be cannon fodder for anyone who presses the attack against him.

Scully was telling him the right things, but I had heard rumors that Dawson was slacking in training (his own brother said this) and that he got KO'ed by Miranda in sparring.

I think it's his preperation that has always been the issue. Having his family around during training (and probably having *** too), constant switching of trainers, outside the ring distractions with managers and so forth, all of this has contributed to his gradual decline.

He beat Hopkins, but did not look good in doing so, and if Hopkins were not 47, he probably would have ruined Dawson.
compukiller is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
beefman180
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

I honestly thought Scully was brilliant in the corner last night.

He wanted it so bad for Chad (no pun intended), you could tell. When he went Teddy Atlas on him in the corner you could tell how much it meant to him. He was telling Chad all the right things.

Of course though I agree Chad looked best with Floyd Sr.
beefman180 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
compukiller
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefman180 View Post
I honestly thought Scully was brilliant in the corner last night.

He wanted it so bad for Chad (no pun intended), you could tell. When he went Teddy Atlas on him in the corner you could tell how much it meant to him. He was telling Chad all the right things.

Of course though I agree Chad looked best with Floyd Sr.
This.

The problem isnt Scully. The problem is Dawson.
compukiller is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
iceman71
WBC SILVER Champion
East Side VIP

love everyone being blamed but Dawson...and all Dawson did was lose a fight to a better man.
anyone counting excuses here?
1) weight drain
2) oakland
3) **NEW** fire john scully
iceman71 is online now  Top
Old 09-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
Arcane
One More Time
East Side Guru

vCash: 488

Dawson was done, his legs were gone and he knew it and it reminded me of the 2nd Morales Pacquiao fight at the end where the trainer is completely unaware of the condition of their own fighter and is shouting out redundant instructions 'come on champ you got this'
Arcane is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
Pimp C
PBF UD #48
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

No scully is fine.
Pimp C is online now  Top
Old 09-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 462

He should get as far away from Gary Shaw as possible. Completely sold him down the river for a **** poor payday. Scully was great in the corner last night. Chad's body just couldn't cooperate.
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #9
iceman71
WBC SILVER Champion
East Side VIP

love everyone being blamed but Dawson...and all Dawson did was lose a fight to a better man.
anyone counting excuses here?
1) weight drain
2) oakland
3) fire john scully
4) **NEW** Gary Shaw
Old 09-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
Jai C
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Absolutely. People don't understand what a fighter needs to hear in the corner. The only thing Scully said was you have to knock him out. Give him some advice for goodness sake. Dawson seems clueless at times and against a fighter who doesn't allow a rest, that is detrimental. Its not all on the trainers, Dawson has to watch his fights and do better in gaps and understand more about angles. He really has little defense. Slicksters will always give him problems.
Jai C is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #11
iceman71
WBC SILVER Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawJab View Post
He should get as far away from Gary Shaw as possible. Completely sold him down the river for a **** poor payday. Scully was great in the corner last night. Chad's body just couldn't cooperate.
chad is gary shaws boss. he wanted the ward fight...shaw did as he was asked. shaw should veto a fight against the pound for pound best and 168 pound boss because he thinks he will lose? if he knocked ward out in 2 rounds he would be a genius. its 7 pounds man...7 pounds....
Old 09-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #12
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman71 View Post
chad is gary shaws boss. he wanted the ward fight...shaw did as he was asked. shaw should veto a fight against the pound for pound best and 168 pound boss because he thinks he will lose? if he knocked ward out in 2 rounds he would be a genius. its 7 pounds man...7 pounds....
He didn't negotiate Chad a better deal. Chad got paid like a decent opponent. 600K to come down in weight? When he already made 800K against Hopkins who is a lesser draw than Ward? If you were going to sell a loss on the scales, he should have gotten more. Some guys just cannot take the weight off and not be adversely affected.

You've never boxed in your life if you think 7 lbs doesn't mean much. Especially when Dawson is walking around near 200.
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #13
iceman71
WBC SILVER Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai C View Post
Absolutely. People don't understand what a fighter needs to hear in the corner. The only thing Scully said was you have to knock him out. Give him some advice for goodness sake. Dawson seems clueless at times and against a fighter who doesn't allow a rest, that is detrimental. Its not all on the trainers, Dawson has to watch his fights and do better in gaps and understand more about angles. He really has little defense. Slicksters will always give him problems.
how about the trainers that tell their fighters everything they need to hear, do , technical stuff you mentioned and they dont do 1 thing they are asked and its repeated every round until the fight is over ? chad dawson knows what the **** to do at this point in his career and with all his title fights, training and working with scully in the gym, and all the sudden he is a rookie boxer and needs to know the secrets of boxing and how to beat ward? he could have heard all the perfect things as they discussed daily in training and sometimes it dont matter, he was beaten by the best fighter on the planet as of right now
Old 09-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #14
Porgeous Porge
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

I just think that Ward was the better man that night and Dawson looked bad because Ward made him look bad

Ward seemed a step or two ahead of him all night, landed so easily and was impossible to hit, if the compubox was indeed accurate Dawson couldnt hit him in double digit figures in any round

Dawson also got hurt early and never seemed to get in rhythm

I dont think there was much Scully could have done in that corner that woulda changed the fight
Porgeous Porge is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #15
Arcane
One More Time
East Side Guru

vCash: 488

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawJab View Post
You've never boxed in your life if you think 7 lbs doesn't mean much. Especially when Dawson is walking around near 200.
Ofcourse he's never boxed, only a complete ****ing re**** thinks moving down a whole weight class (7lbs in this case) does not hinder a fighters performance.
Arcane is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum