Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-28-2008, 05:00 AM   #1
ThePlugInBabies
♪ ♫
ESB Addict

vCash: 224
Default Good Scott Harrison article from todays Times.

January 28, 2008

Fallen champion Scott Harrison starting to dream about the glory years once more

Former world featherweight title-holder yearns for chance of redemption after the self-inflicted hell that cost him his licence

Owen Slot, Chief Sports Reporter

In Fort William, the hills are not small and Scott Harrison is only interested in going up them. His regular training run has Ben Nevis as its backdrop and, in the foreground, his father, Peter, stopping the car every 400 yards to encourage him gently through the slashing rain. Scott finishes with short shuttle sprints up a grassy bank with a 40lb pack strapped to his back. This, clearly, is no luxury training camp, and yet Harrison is a boxer preparing for a bout that may never come.

Clouds of uncertainty cluster over a career that notoriously hit the skids and yet, he says, out on that lonely road, the thought spinning on a loop through his mind could not be clearer. A skilful and phenomenally hard featherweight, he has been world champion twice, but he drank his career dry in the Glasgow pubs and appeared to have abandoned it at the bar. Now he wants it back, plus a third world title, too, and it is this that sustains him.

“ ‘Three times world champion, three times world champion.’ That is what I say to myself when I’m running,” he said. “It’s got a good sound to it. And I’ll say: ‘Who’s done that before in Scotland? No one. Three times world champion. Three times world champion. Keep going up that hill.’ It’s a reality, I tell you, it is going to happen.”

And, when you witness the pace of his ascent, you would not disagree. Except that his fitness on this short training camp, and the fact that he swears that he has not had a drink “for months”, may have nothing to do with it; Harrison was stripped of his licence to compete professionally two years ago and there is no guarantee that the British Boxing Board of Control will bend to his plea to return it.

That is one reason why The Times has been given a particularly rare interview — because he wants the board to believe it when he says he is feeling “fantastic”. Or that: “I feel the same kind of buzz now as when I fought for my first world title. I’ve got my love for boxing back. I’ve got my motivation back, my focus, my drive. You know when you’re feeling right for a fight, you know you’re going to win the world title. You know you’re up for it and that you haven’t got distractions out of the ring. That’s how I am now, I’m just waiting for that licence.”

He does not like to do interviews, that much is clear from the air of menace and the apparently subconscious stroking of his knuckles with which unwanted questions are greeted. Even as we speak, his father’s news that two Glasgow journalists are in Fort William looking for him is a reminder of his undisguised hatred for the media. He feels that the media have judged him. The 30-year-old acknowledges that he had a string of brushes with the law in Scotland and Spain, three visits to the Priory, pulled out late from two bouts and “went completely off the rails”, but suggests that it is the media’s fault that he cannot work in his chosen profession at present.

The point, as far as those rails go, he says, is that he is now safely back on them. He has pending for February 11 a court hearing for an alleged incident two years ago, which incurred four charges including assaulting a police officer. He also has not quite buried the incidents in Spain, the second of which started with a fight, reportedly in a brothel — “I’m not so sure of that,” his father said — and after which he had his passport removed.

The Board of Control has a clause that errs against boxers bringing the sport into disrepute and will be watching closely the events of February 11. It was the events in Spain, though, that crystallised Harrison’s mind. It took eight months to get the passport back, during which time he was in purgatory. By the end of it, he had been out of the ring for nearly two years.

“The penny must have dropped when I came back from Spain, when I realised how much I’d lost,” he said. “I couldn’t handle not boxing. It’s a huge part of my life. In fact, it is my life. So I have to come back and will be world champion again.”

The boxing was not all he lost. “I basically got used to living in a money bracket where my spending was totally different to what it was before I won the world title,” he said. “So end result: I go bankrupt. That is why my life hangs in the balance. If I don’t get my licence back, I’ll go to America to fight. I’ve been offered work over there. I’ve got a family, two kids. How else am I going to pay for clothes and food? And how can the board tell a man he cannot work?

“I don’t want to have to go to America. I’ve split up with my ex, so it’s not as if I can take my kids. Plus I’m patriotic. I want to stay in Scotland. So America would be my last chance. I have to make money.”
The question the board will surely be asking is whether Harrison is likely to descend back to his old ways. This is where we see the menace; Harrison does not want to talk about the old ways and he insists they are largely a media fabrication, anyway.

“Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been through hell,” he said. “But I never had depression \. I was drinking too much. Partying too much. Excess living put me in the Priory, not depression. That was it. I just went off the rails. I went to the Priory to try and sort it out. To be honest, it made me worse. I was in the Priory in Belfast for a good few weeks, that helped me the most.

“I was in the one in London for a day and left and in the Glasgow one for about a week. But those days were a long time ago.”
Might they not return? “Why would I want to put myself through that hell again?” he replied. “I’d be absolutely crazy. You’ve made a mistake once, you’d be fairly crazy to make it again. I’m lucky that I’ve got a second chance.”

The deeper problem, he insists, was trying to make the 9st required of a featherweight. “I lost my love for boxing because I was killing myself trying to make the weight,” he said. “Torture, an absolute living torture.”

So moving up to super-featherweight is another reason why he believes a third title is coming his way. That plus the lifestyle change. “I was partying a good few weeks into my training camp,” he said. “I’m feeling younger now.

“Scott Harrison’s back, definitely. I’ll be world champion this year. And all the doubters who thought I’d never come back — they’re going to be eating their words.” At least, they might be. They might if the board acquiesces. And that is a hill that Harrison cannot climb on his own.
ThePlugInBabies is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2008, 07:00 AM   #2
gutto
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Good Scott Harrison article from todays Times.

Why not let him fight I dont see what the problem with the board is. Lets face it fighters are not always perfect. Its a shame the Board are not so interested in some of the problems fighters have once they stop fighting. Let the man fight
gutto is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2008, 07:04 AM   #3
kerrminator
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutto
Why not let him fight I dont see what the problem with the board is. Lets face it fighters are not always perfect. Its a shame the Board are not so interested in some of the problems fighters have once they stop fighting. Let the man fight
Very good point
kerrminator is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2008, 07:34 AM   #4
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Once Dunky reads this he'll wet himself.

He was a legit champ so from a boxing point of view I hope he makes it back to where he was and helps Britain be a somebody in the boxing world.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2008, 11:26 AM   #5
dwilson

vCash:

If allowed back where should he start his comeback from. Does he want to jump in the deep end like Gomez or build up slowly against some lower end fighters. Obviously different issues will have to come into it such as he was the world champ when his troubles took over but also how far from grace will his skill have fallen.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:46 AM   #6
Words
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Good luck to the man, he's a really good fighter.

I dont believe that shit about not being depressed, I think its pretty obvious that he's had some sort of mental health problem but he's too proud to admit it. Whatever, depression is a horrible thing and I hope he comes through it, just from human being to another.
Words is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
kurt2006
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The board are a bunch of old farts. If this matter was taken to the courts they would soon have to backtrack and give him a license. They can't deny someone a chance to undertake their chosen profession.

Love him or loathe him but Frank ****** made the board shit their pants when he was starting up and the board were being arsy about granting him a promoters license. It got to the stage where there was talk of a new board being set up that would be recognised by a few world governing bodies (WBO etc).

Good luck to Harrison, hope he gets a third shot. The guy is a maniac when it comes to training and would eat the like of Arthur for breakfast.
kurt2006 is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2008, 10:40 PM   #8
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat
Once Dunky reads this he'll wet himself.

Maybe at one time I would have Achilles. However, as the years have passed & all this has dragged on & on & on, I aint his nuthugger anymore. Times have changed & boxing has moved on, & so have I. To be honest if Harrison comes back, I dont expect much from him to be honest. Lets strip away the romantic notion of a fighter coming back aginst all the odds for a moment & look at it realistically. Hes been partying hard for years, been inactive for years & boozing & allegedly snorting the white stuff.
Boxers dont come back well from that. Years of inactivity & self abuse. So I wont be wetting myself now, sadly enough cos the boxing fan in me tells me that either this comeback wont happen at all, or it will all end in tears as a sluggish Harrison comes back & loses unexpectedly.

I hope Im wrong & of course will be hoping he does well if he comes back. But its still a big IF at the moment, & the even bigger IF will be if he can turn back the clock & be the old Harrison again, the guy who pounded Chacon & McCullough. That was prime Harrison, & that was a long time ago. Drink & drugs shorten a mans career, & the Scotty who beat Hussein was a shadow of the man who beat Chacon. Add all the partying & boozing to the mix, & what do we have. A successful comeback & another world title fight? I doubt it.
I hope he proves me wrong, & I seriously mean that. But after following his career from day one & having to endure watching him **** it all up, Im not going to get all misty eyed at this latest story. Actions speak louder than words, & harrisons comeback was supposed to be last December. We are still waiting.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2008, 02:29 AM   #9
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrminator
Very good point
Hows it goin Kerrminator, always a pleasure to talk to you, one of my oldest allies!
You like me have been on more ups & downs than a ****in rollercoaster cheering on Scotty, so take a well deserved break for a moment & lets get right behind Alex Arthur, as it looks like he will be fighting Guzman, fingers crossed!
Get an avatar of Alex & lets show him that the scottish boys on ESB are right behind him
Cos Alex needs our support, to bring the title home to Scotland & move into the top 10 world P4P rankings.

How sweet would that be, one of our own top 10 P4P? So lets all scots from all forums get behind Amazin Alex Arthur in his time of need
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2008, 04:33 AM   #10
kerrminator
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Alright Dunky ma man

Arthur v Guzman will be a tall order imo but I will be cheering for oor Alex like a madman

Arthur has to get a move on now and I cant help think that ****** has been fattening him up for 'A mere Khon' as it seems everytime Arthur gets the chance to step up yto the big time Wank ****** is there to feck it all up :(
kerrminator is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2008, 04:56 AM   #11
hook
Journeyman

It is starting to look a bit like Limond all over again.

If AAA were to lose to Guzman, a possible match up with Harrison with the winner to face Khan.

Wouldn't surprise me.
hook is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2008, 07:14 AM   #12
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty

Maybe at one time I would have Achilles. However, as the years have passed & all this has dragged on & on & on, I aint his nuthugger anymore. Times have changed & boxing has moved on, & so have I. To be honest if Harrison comes back, I dont expect much from him to be honest. Lets strip away the romantic notion of a fighter coming back aginst all the odds for a moment & look at it realistically. Hes been partying hard for years, been inactive for years & boozing & allegedly snorting the white stuff.
Boxers dont come back well from that. Years of inactivity & self abuse. So I wont be wetting myself now, sadly enough cos the boxing fan in me tells me that either this comeback wont happen at all, or it will all end in tears as a sluggish Harrison comes back & loses unexpectedly.

I hope Im wrong & of course will be hoping he does well if he comes back. But its still a big IF at the moment, & the even bigger IF will be if he can turn back the clock & be the old Harrison again, the guy who pounded Chacon & McCullough. That was prime Harrison, & that was a long time ago. Drink & drugs shorten a mans career, & the Scotty who beat Hussein was a shadow of the man who beat Chacon. Add all the partying & boozing to the mix, & what do we have. A successful comeback & another world title fight? I doubt it.
I hope he proves me wrong, & I seriously mean that. But after following his career from day one & having to endure watching him **** it all up, Im not going to get all misty eyed at this latest story. Actions speak louder than words, & harrisons comeback was supposed to be last December. We are still waiting.
Harrison showed what he could do when he was off and on v Medina.

Harrison can hopefully still get himself in sick shape and bring a hard fight to your doorstep.

Guys like PAC, MAB, JMM, Guzman, Valero etc are HARD fights but Harrison can fight a hard tough fight so hopefully he can become a factor in the division.

He was a real titlist and I think it was a little disrespectful mentioning guys like Mitchell, Arthur and Cook in the same breath. They haven't come close to achieving what Harrison has.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2008, 07:42 AM   #13
maka
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat
Harrison showed what he could do when he was off and on v Medina.

Harrison can hopefully still get himself in sick shape and bring a hard fight to your doorstep.

Guys like PAC, MAB, JMM, Guzman, Valero etc are HARD fights but Harrison can fight a hard tough fight so hopefully he can become a factor in the division.

He was a real titlist and I think it was a little disrespectful mentioning guys like Mitchell, Arthur and Cook in the same breath. They haven't come close to achieving what Harrison has.
here here achillies.......... scotty does deserve much more respect snd should not be at the bottom of the has been pile. harrisons showing determination to succeed again by goin through a gruelling training camp, when he doesnt even have a fight lined up..... or for that matter his licence to throw a punch.
i understand totally were dunkys coming from......... i had just signed up on this forum around about the time when harrison was slipping of those rails and i remember having dunkys back on every post because i thought that scott would bounce back quicker and mend his ways.
but our support for him and the hope he'd be back was to no avail...... and i witnessed dunkys love and respect for scotty slippin away( understandably ) so al no hold that against you dunky ma man.

but anyone who makes a mistake does deserve another chance.......albeit scotty has had 3 or 4 chances, so lets hope he can show the bbbc that he's back and straight.

i'll tell you something though i'm strugglin to think of a match up for his return.......i wouldnt like to be on the receiving end.
maka is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2008, 05:44 PM   #14
mattress
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1618

I wish him all the best. He has a mountain to climb. If he succeeds, it would be stuff Hollywood dreams about.
mattress is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2008, 06:05 PM   #15
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 301

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt2006
The board are a bunch of old farts. If this matter was taken to the courts they would soon have to backtrack and give him a license. They can't deny someone a chance to undertake their chosen profession.

Love him or loathe him but Frank ****** made the board shit their pants when he was starting up and the board were being arsy about granting him a promoters license. It got to the stage where there was talk of a new board being set up that would be recognised by a few world governing bodies (WBO etc).

Good luck to Harrison, hope he gets a third shot. The guy is a maniac when it comes to training and would eat the like of Arthur for breakfast.
The BBB of C are doing their job and looking after Harrison. I know people with drinking problems and it is a battle you will have for the rest of your life, even if you never have another drink again.

One of the things that helps in the battle, is to not be in involved in pressure situations that can lead you back to Alcohol. As an individual sport, it does not get much harder pressure wise (as well as physical) than pro boxing.

The training I would think, would benefit Harrison no end, but the granting of a pro licence and pressure that would come with it, may be too much for him to handle.

I do realise I make these comments from a distance, and Harrison may come back and never drink again, I hope that happens. But most importantly if you are a Harrison fan you should hope he never drinks again first, then as an added bonus he comes back.
TBooze is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum