Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 09-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
PH|LLA
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 5685
Default why did Belfort go down there at the end?

did i miss something? I watched the replay and can't see what Jones did to bring him down so easily.
PH|LLA is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
dillinja

vCash:
Default Re: why did Belfort go down there at the end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH|LLA View Post
did i miss something? I watched the replay and can't see what Jones did to bring him down so easily.
You on about when he side kicked him
Old 09-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

It's called pulling guard. Vitor grabbed Jones and pulled him down to the mat. Is this what you mean?
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Old 09-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
pourya
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

its because vito was finished, had no gas in the tank and should not have been given a title shot in the first place

i dont know why pp pay for this garbage
ps i watched it for free LOL
pourya is offline  Top
Old 09-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH|LLA View Post
Because he was hurt and because he was hoping to sub Jones -off the back of his success in the first round- by pulling guard. Which to be fair i thought was a dumb idea. Anyway Vitor's always been a front runner. Good fight. But no surprises here. Jones did what he does best. Which is wear you down and stop you.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 09-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pourya View Post
its because vito was finished, had no gas in the tank and should not have been given a title shot in the first place

Yeah LOL.....
Old 09-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
Because he was hurt and because he was hoping to sub Jones -off the back of his success in the first round- by pulling guard. Which to be fair i thought was a dumb idea. Anyway Vitor's always been a front runner. Good fight. But no surprises here. Jones did what he does best. Which is wear you down and stop you.
It was a dumb idea but I can understand why he did it. The only success he had in the fight was that arm bar, which is the closet JJ has ever come to losing. He was tired and hurt to both head and body. It was the final roll of the dice and a desperation move. I think to say Jones wears people down is a little harsh as it implies he doesn't go for the kill. I think he does look to stop people asap without being too reckless and in fairness he struggles against southpaws and had a jacked up arm for most of this fight. I truly think he has the best GNP in MMA history. It isn't ferocious and wild but it is efficient and brutally effective. Like a metronome his elbows smash into the target time and time again and he could do it for all 5 rounds without gassing.
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Old 09-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by pourya View Post

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 09-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #9
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL BULLY View Post
It was a dumb idea but I can understand why he did it. The only success he had in the fight was that arm bar, which is the closet JJ has ever come to losing. He was tired and hurt to both head and body. It was the final roll of the dice and a desperation move. I think to say Jones wears people down is a little harsh as it implies he doesn't go for the kill. I think he does look to stop people asap without being too reckless and in fairness he struggles against southpaws and had a jacked up arm for most of this fight. I truly think he has the best GNP in MMA history. It isn't ferocious and wild but it is efficient and brutally effective. Like a metronome his elbows smash into the target time and time again and he could do it for all 5 rounds without gassing.
No he doesn't.

And i never implied that. Notice i said:

Quote:
Wears you down. And stops you.
He's not known for his power or for that matter striking on a professional level. He's a guy who uses all his attributes -namely his length- exceptionally well. In all his wins over name his opponents his done exactly that worn them down, stopped them or battered them into a decision.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #10
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
No he doesn't.

And i never implied that. Notice i said:

He's not known for his power or for that matter striking on a professional level. He's a guy who uses all his attributes -namely his length- exceptionally well. In all his wins over name his opponents his done exactly that worn them down, stopped them or battered them into a decision.
I said I think he does. You say he actually doesn't. I offer an opinion. You seem to think that you are somehow an oracle and that your word is final. Almost every time Jones throws GNP he ****s people up. He can throw it from inside the guard or almost anywhere.

When he won the title he 'wore down' Shogun but landed a flying knee within the first 10 seconds. A strike that would have finished 90% of LHW's. Thing is, Jones is consistently fighting the 10% that it wouldn't and to expect him to finish them in a round is unrealistic. Vitor took it into the 4th because he jacked Jones arm up in the first round and I think he was fighting more conservative as a result. In the Rashad fight Jones was maybe over cautious but I think that is pretty understandable considering how well Rashad knew him.
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Old 09-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
I said I think he does. You say he actually doesn't. I offer an opinion. You seem to think that you are somehow an oracle and that your word is final. Almost every time Jones throws GNP he ****s people up. He can throw it from inside the guard or almost anywhere.

When he won the title he 'wore down' Shogun but landed a flying knee within the first 10 seconds. A strike that would have finished 90% of LHW's. Thing is, Jones is consistently fighting the 10% that it wouldn't and to expect him to finish them in a round is unrealistic. Vitor took it into the 4th because he jacked Jones arm up in the first round and I think he was fighting more conservative as a result. In the Rashad fight Jones was maybe over cautious but I think that is pretty understandable considering how well Rashad knew him.
No i don't. I just disagree with you and your adulation for Jones. Your words:

Quote:
I truly think he has the best GNP in MMA history.
Jones has nothing remotely close to being regarded as the best GnP in MMA history. Thats hyperbole that even Dana would be proud of. Dissect it as much as you want but when i think GnP i recall what Fedor did to the BEST fighters in his prime. I recall Mark Kerr making his opponent(s) crawl out of the ring. I recall Mark Coleman the godfather of GnP destroying all comers in the PRIDE 2000 GP and the first Heavy Tournament champ in the UFC. Thats brutal GnP to me. Not a guy adept at throwing a few elbows in someone elses guard. What Jones does reminds of me how effective Tito used to be with elbows in the guard. Good GnP. But hardly the best in MMA history.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #12
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
No i don't. I just disagree with you and your adulation for Jones. Your words:

Jones has nothing remotely close to being regarded as the best GnP in MMA history. Thats hyperbole that even Dana would be proud of. Dissect it as much as you want but when i think GnP i recall what Fedor did to the BEST fighters in his prime. I recall Mark Kerr making his opponent(s) crawl out of the ring. I recall Mark Coleman the godfather of GnP destroying all comers in the PRIDE 2000 GP and the first Heavy Tournament champ in the UFC. Thats brutal GnP to me. Not a guy adept at throwing a few elbows in someone elses guard. What Jones does reminds of me how effective Tito used to be with elbows in the guard. Good GnP. But hardly the best in MMA history.
Like I said: Efficient and effective. He never misses or expends any surplus energy. His GNP has been a factor in nearly every single one of his fights. It's not a tool he uses to finish an already hurt opponent but it's a weapon he uses with ruthless accuracy and if he was allowed to use '12 to 6 O'clock' elbow strikes and also hit the back of the head plenty of his opponents would have crawled out of the ring as well. That's how I see it anyway.
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Old 09-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #13
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Like I said: Efficient and effective. He never misses or expends any surplus energy. His GNP has been a factor in nearly every single one of his fights. It's not a tool he uses to finish an already hurt opponent but it's a weapon he uses with ruthless accuracy and if he was allowed to use '12 to 6 O'clock' elbow strikes and also hit the back of the head plenty of his opponents would have crawled out of the ring as well. That's how I see it anyway.
No. I suggest you watch the fight as Marks opponent crawled out of the ring after punches to his face. Not 12 to 6 elbows or strikers to the back of the head. Either way your analogy doesn't make much sense.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #14
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
No. I suggest you watch the fight as Marks opponent crawled out of the ring after punches to his face. Not 12 to 6 elbows or strikers to the back of the head. Either way your analogy doesn't make much sense.
Well, Jones isn't fighting under the same rules as the guys you mentioned is he? So to say it doesn't factor makes no sense. Especially if you consider his DQ loss to Hamil was for illegal elbows so it's obviously a technique that comes natural to him and he cannot use.
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Old 09-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #15
dillinja

vCash:

Quote:
If he doesn't finish people with gnp how one earth can he have the best gnp of all time

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum