boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 09-24-2012, 06:52 AM   #1
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default How to re-build Kevin Mitchell??

How would you go about it?

I would keep him busy. I would get him an 8 rounder in December and then straight back into the title mix.

George Ashie who he beat at Super Featherweight over 12 rounds in 2006 is the current Commonwealth Champion at Lightweight. A February fight at the York Hall would be a posative step forward.

By that time he will be in a position to fight for the British title, probably mandatory for the winner of Crolla vs Matthews II. There are a decent number of fighters he could defend agaisnt before he pushes for the European title and a rematch with John Murray by December next year.

There is no reason why a ticket seller like Kevin, fighting on Box Nation cannot have 4 12 round title fights in 2013.
Jonsey is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #2
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: How to re-build Kevin Mitchell??

Sign him to Matchroom and move him to America to get top sparring.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Make him more active. That's what should have been done the first time round when he lost. He bounced back brilliantly against Murray, and that's when his handlers should have encouraged and prolonged the good place he seemed to have been in. Before running into Burns, he should have had at least two fights to continue his form. Not saying it would have made a difference to the result, but it certainly wouldn't have done him any harm.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
Grant-Mitchell

vCash: 833

He has the ability to bounce back, just like Alan Partridge.
Grant-Mitchell is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
gashalasha7
Belt holder
ESB Addict

As already mentioned, keep active and in good fights, no bus drivers.
gashalasha7 is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2012, 07:30 AM   #6
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

vCash: 122

I'm not sure he knows what kind of fighter he should be, he doesnt have the defensive radar or the reflexes to stay on the back foot but he doesnt have the durability to stand & trade with top level opponents. Instead he's caught inbetween the 2 & often brawls when he should be boxing.

I thought his tactics against Burns were good for 2 1/2 rounds, but once he stopped using his feet Burns couldnt miss with his right hand, fairplay to Burns though who was outstanding.

There are several domestic opponents I'd like to see him against & there's no reason he cant be in some entertaining fights this season but as others have said he needs to be active. An 8 rounder this year then a British/CW title fight early next year seems to be a sensible route to follow.
DrMo is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2012, 07:32 AM   #7
pathmanc1986
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
pathmanc1986 is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2012, 07:39 AM   #8
wrimc
Champion
East Side Guru

Honestly I think he should try and win the british title and fight regularly defending that win it outright. If he does it in style he might get one more opportunity against an ABC beltholder in the US. Plenty of good domestic fights for him.
wrimc is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2012, 07:41 AM   #9
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 922

Getting him to fight more often sounds like a good idea, but I doubt his inactivity has been down to an oversight. I'm sure Kevin had every intention of fighting more often, but clearly something went wrong.

If Kevin has been inactive because he prefers to sit in the pub ****ing his life away, then there's obviously more to his rebuilding than simply getting him more fights.
Claypole is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #10
Clint Eastwood
Do You Feel Lucky, Punk?!
ESB Full Member

He should do what Rees did & start over. He isn't a spring chicken, but by no means is Mitchell old. 135 Prize fighter?
Clint Eastwood is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2012, 08:02 AM   #11
Clint Eastwood
Do You Feel Lucky, Punk?!
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bot View Post
Retire. McDonald's is waiting. Not tall enough for drivethu so prolly night shift cleaning staff.
Would you employ him? How many stars do you have?
Clint Eastwood is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #12
dstephe4
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypole View Post
Getting him to fight more often sounds like a good idea, but I doubt his inactivity has been down to an oversight. I'm sure Kevin had every intention of fighting more often, but clearly something went wrong.

If Kevin has been inactive because he prefers to sit in the pub ****ing his life away, then there's obviously more to his rebuilding than simply getting him more fights.
His inactivity is in part due to a criminal life that he seems unable to escape from. He got arrested and sentenced this year to house arrest for having an illegal knife in his car. There was also some incident involving arrests at a marijuana farm that some of his family members were involved with, though I believe he was cleared of that.

Very good boxer but I get the sense he's his own worst enemy. The inactivity is his own fault - he needs to get and keep his life under control.
dstephe4 is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #13
saturday_kid
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 905

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMo View Post
I'm not sure he knows what kind of fighter he should be, he doesnt have the defensive radar or the reflexes to stay on the back foot but he doesnt have the durability to stand & trade with top level opponents. Instead he's caught inbetween the 2 & often brawls when he should be boxing.

I thought his tactics against Burns were good for 2 1/2 rounds, but once he stopped using his feet Burns couldnt miss with his right hand, fairplay to Burns though who was outstanding.

There are several domestic opponents I'd like to see him against & there's no reason he cant be in some entertaining fights this season but as others have said he needs to be active. An 8 rounder this year then a British/CW title fight early next year seems to be a sensible route to follow.

This sums up Mitchell perfectly for me.

I like the idea of winning the British and trying to win an alphabet from there but you gotta think would Mitchell after headlining Upton Park, fighting for a world title etc have the motivation to go back to york hall
saturday_kid is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #14
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
How about adding a new trainer in aswell. I think Emmanuel Steward
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #15
Smoggy7188
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He should go after the Commonwealth belt to get his confidence back up then put him in with Gethin who won a IBF international belt at the weekend and go from there. I wouldnt be surprised though if he went up to light-welterweight.
Smoggy7188 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum