Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Duran and Leonard in studio with Cosell after first fight (Video)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcgpf6TK39c[/ame]
Robbi is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
Mankind
Super Moderator
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Duran and Leonard in studio with Cosell after first fight (Video)

I love Cosell but he really sucked up to Leonard and dis'd Duran.

Padilla got railroaded in that interview. Padilla did a good job...these guys weren't clinching and holding.....they fought inside most of the times. Cosell thought Padilla should seperate them?

Only reason to seperate them is to give Leonard punching room.

Leonard had stopped Benitez and ko'd Andy Price (1) along with Davey Green recently. He did not like a punk Lightweight champion moving up to challenge him. HE WANTED TO KNOCK HIM OUT.

I think Padilla gave him the opportunity by letting them slug it out. Ray simply failed.
Mankind is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2012, 01:40 AM   #3
Garrus
Big Boss 1935-2014
ESB Addict

Location: A Hero Forever Loyal To The Flames Of War, Rests in Outer Heaven
vCash: 157

Duran was swagged out, I did chuckle when he said Leanord should talk like man.
Garrus is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2012, 02:27 AM   #4
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

Padilla is a great ref.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2012, 10:37 AM   #5
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Is it any wonder that there are so many Ali/SRL fanboys due to the blatant propaganda of Cossell and the US media?

Cossell (whom I like), also seems to have helped develop crybaby and conspiracy theorists after every fight....The ref should have seperated them more....Duran turns this into a wrestling match....This was a disgraceful suck up job to SRL, not sure what SRL & Ali had on Cossell but he was their boy for whatecver reason.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
Kendom
Journeyman

vCash: 500

Whats wrong with a ref letting fighters fight on the inside? Padilla was a great ref and we need more refs like him today IMO. I guess Cosell would have preferred a Joe Cortez
Kendom is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Cosell seemed upset that his guy lost, and was looking for a way to blame the ref. In-fighting is a valuable part of boxing, and Padilla allowed them to in-fight. To break them prematurely or incessantly would have ruined the fight and given an unfair advantage to Leonard. A referee is supposed to be neutral and not influence the bout. If Duran does the work to get inside, he should not be penalized or handicapped by being pushed back. It is up to Leonard either to not let him get in, or beat him on the inside, or to spin out. If they clinch, the ref should allow them to work free, or work if one hand is free. That's what Padilla did. Good job.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
werety
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

That was some blatant dick sucking from Cosell.
werety is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Thanks for this, that was great, I`ve never seen this before.

I was a bit suprised that Cosell said it was a memorable fight but that he`s not sure it was a great fight, I think its the best fight between all the fights involving the fab 4 vs each other & one of the best fights of all time, period.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
This is the interview that i've been quoting these last few years to all the wankbag sugarbabies where Leonard admits that Duran totally nullified his attemps at lateral movement & thats the absolute admission that Duran had outboxed him.

SRL was already in image damage limitation mode with the help of the ****pig Cossel. The story changes every year about how SRL fought this fight, he was outboxed & beaten by the superior all round boxer simple as & SRL coming out with that point about everyone expecting to see him move more as in earlier fights, well he tried that & Duran got the jump on him everytime by being to fast of foot & countering SRL every move & Leonard just did'nt know what to do.

That left hook from Duran in the 2nd round convinced Leonard his safest place was inside & to use all his obvious advantages in strength/size/youth ect but Duran nullified every aspect of Leonards game.

Leonard fought Duran the same way he fought everyone, Benitez/Green/Finch/Bonds/Kalule & he beat Hearns the same way once he'd dumped his piss poor ego driven attempt of an ALI impersonation in those first 5 rounds of the Hearns showdown & thats to plant-em & unload blistering combo's & thats how he tried to take Duran out & he FAILED. He said pre-fight to run from Duran is suicide & SRL had never run from anyone. he got outboxed & beat up by the better man & it was'nt a fluke.

Duran would always beat SRL on any given level playing field & to consider that he was also the smaller man with a record of 70+ fights & at an age of near on 30 which back then was considered near on geriatric taking into account all the wars & young age these men/boys started fighting at.

SRL was the prettyboy & U.S media darling who had all these old fart homo's like Cossel & Co lusting after him & Leonard would flutter his eye lashes/wink & simper his thanks for all the attention.

Anyway back to Cosell, total biased influential cunt who tried to play ringmaster to ALI's clown as his claim to fame.

All my V-Cash that MAG somehow with mystic help twists this interview around to the fact that it proves SRL was a GREEN Champion & PRIME 15 months later
duranimal is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #11
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

I'm a massive Duran fan. Probably, my favorite fighter of all-time. However, I don't do Duran tinted spectacles. It's been well documented that Leonard told members of the press during the build-up to the first fight that he'd fight Duran "flatfooted". Everyone thought he was crazy if he was to employ such tactics. The general consensus among fans and the press was that Leonard would box and move. If you watch the first round of the fight you'll hear the commentators say "Leonard is fighting Duran flat-footed". Even though Leonard did back away at times when Duran rushed him, he was right in front of Duran most of the round within range. His style was certainly nowhere near the same as he used in the first round or any round of the rematch.

Leonard did say at times during the interview with Cosell that he did try to move away at times, yes. Leonard isn't really the type to make excuses after defeats. It's his style to be all gentlemanly and gracious.

To suggest that Leonard in the Montreal fight was trying the same strategy he successfully used in New Orleans, but Duran well and truely nullified him is quite simply hideous.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #12
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Leonard had a whole 15-round fight to find the "right strategy". But Duran out-smarted him. End of.

Cosell was a Leonard nut-hugger but I agree that it wasn't a truly great fight.
I thought it was a bit scrappy to be honest. A lot of Leonard's punching especially was slappy.
Legend X is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #13
Ali_
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Sugah was the better fighter and boxer and he proved it in the rematch.

That's all that matters.
Ali_ is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #14
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali_ View Post
Sugah was the better fighter and boxer and he proved it in the rematch.

That's nonsense.
The rematch just proved that Leonard was better on that night.

Quote:
That's all that matters.
I'm not sure it even matters at all.
Legend X is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #15
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Quote:
I'm a massive Duran fan. Probably, my favorite fighter of all-time. However, I don't do Duran tinted spectacles. It's been well documented that Leonard told members of the press during the build-up to the first fight that he'd fight Duran "flatfooted". Everyone thought he was crazy if he was to employ such tactics. The general consensus among fans and the press was that Leonard would box and move. If you watch the first round of the fight you'll hear the commentators say "Leonard is fighting Duran flat-footed". Even though Leonard did back away at times when Duran rushed him, he was right in front of Duran most of the round within range. His style was certainly nowhere near the same as he used in the first round or any round of the rematch.

Leonard did say at times during the interview with Cosell that he did try to move away at times, yes. Leonard isn't really the type to make excuses after defeats. It's his style to be all gentlemanly and gracious.

To suggest that Leonard in the Montreal fight was trying the same strategy he successfully used in New Orleans, but Duran well and truely nullified him is quite simply hideous.
Yes, I agree here... Leonard fought a much better fight in the rematch than he did the first time where as Duran fought a magnificent fight in Montreal & if he had fought that way in the rematch he would certainly have went 15 rounds rather than 8, whether he would have beat Leonard if both those amazing versions showed up (the sharpest versions of both men I`ve personally ever seen) is another thing but he would not have been embarassed, a close loss or close win on points would have been the very likely scenario.

2 ATG fighters, as complete as there ever has been... we should just be happy we seen them fight prime vs prime (complete bullshit that SRL wasn`t prime for the first fight, ludicrous.)

Bill Butcher is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum