Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #16
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rare pic of Tyson Lewis 1984, does anybody know how the sparring went?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyna View Post
Even Marvin Hagler got knocked down in sparring sessions...
It doesn't really mean shit, sparring is for testing purpose.
When one goes out to fight, he goes out to win with a gameplan.

When one goes out to spar, he goes out with a test for the gameplan, or to refine a skill key to the gameplan, or, if early in camp, to sharpen up.

Apples and oranges, really. Gym wars usually indicate a poor trainer which Cus was not.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #17
Joe.Boxer
Chinchecker
ESB Addict

vCash: 240
Default Re: Rare pic of Tyson Lewis 1984, does anybody know how the sparring went?

The versions are all very similar - Tyson came out bombing and surprised Lewis with his ferocity. Lewis sucked it up and was gradually able to control Tyson with his epic skills.
Joe.Boxer is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #18
Caelum
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
How most sparring sessions go between young people of vast potential.

Both had some success, both did some damage, both came away with something to work on.

The boxing fan/amateur gives WAY more credit to sparring then the pro does. Always shocks me.
Agree that the one of the things that matters between two young Teenage Amateurs sparring is that they are able to learn from the experience and stay motivated to get better.

Both of them were not nearly as good then as they would become as pros rising through the ranks to the World Title.

It's all trial and error. Testing to see what works and what doesn't. Making the Good, Better, and the Bad, improved.

How quickly people forget that even in the amateurs one fighter can lose to another only to defeat that same person as a pro.
Caelum is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #19
KidDynamite
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Tyson overwhelmed and overpowered him

He was too much for Lewis
KidDynamite is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #20
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

By all credible accounts, it was pretty two-sided and competitive, with Tyson coming out hot and Lewis coming around to get some control.

Makes sense. Both would have been really raw at this point.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #21
FastHands(beeb)
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
How most sparring sessions go between young people of vast potential.

Both had some success, both did some damage, both came away with something to work on.

The boxing fan/amateur gives WAY more credit to sparring then the pro does. Always shocks me.
Especially sparring between youngsters!
FastHands(beeb) is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #22
blacktopbully
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

is this picture really rare? i've seen it around a bit lol
blacktopbully is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2012, 05:32 PM   #23
hookfromhell
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 427

Awesome pic. Anyone know the status of
their relationship?
hookfromhell is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2012, 05:32 PM   #24
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I've never seen a pretty sparring session between young teenagers, ever.

Too green, too rabid. It's sloppy, wild.

Real boxing is meant to be clean, precise, sharp. Or atleast with robust intent.

Rare is the specimen who can make simple brute force, anger, and effort into a winning. This is a deeper game then that. Tyson and Lewis exemplify this concept rather well.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #25
Vanboxingfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidDynamite View Post
Tyson overwhelmed and overpowered him

He was too much for Lewis
Didn't sound that way to me, and after all Lewis was the U20 world champ at the time.

In someways I don't think amateurs matter but in some ways I think they do.

If I had to charactize the two fighters, Lewis and Tyson I would say Tyson left high school and went to work.

Lewis when to university got more education (amateur experience U20 world title, Silver and gold Olympic metals) and was able to parlay that into a longer career.

And if you think about it, Ali won a gold metal in the olympics, as did Frazier, Foreman, SRL, Wlad, hard to think of this as pure co-incidence. Other metal winners include Bowe and Holyfield
Vanboxingfan is online now  Top
Old 09-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #26
joebeadg
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Don't know. But I know how the fight went
joebeadg is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2012, 11:44 PM   #27
Caelum
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanboxingfan View Post
Didn't sound that way to me, and after all Lewis was the U20 world champ at the time.

In someways I don't think amateurs matter but in some ways I think they do.

If I had to charactize the two fighters, Lewis and Tyson I would say Tyson left high school and went to work.

Lewis when to university got more education (amateur experience U20 world title, Silver and gold Olympic metals) and was able to parlay that into a longer career.

And if you think about it, Ali won a gold metal in the olympics, as did Frazier, Foreman, SRL, Wlad, hard to think of this as pure co-incidence. Other metal winners include Bowe and Holyfield
I was going to post the entire interview in a new thread but I can link it up here with a tidbit relating to your post...

BoxingInsider: Do you remember when you first got the idea in your head that you could actually become the world Heavyweight champion?

Lennox Lewis: “For me, it was a long journey. I realized it was going to be lots of curves and bumps and hills – I just wanted to make it to the top. In the amateurs, it was the East Germans, Russians and Cubans. I had to try to find the way to beat each one. What’s his weakness? Go to the body. Then I’d try that way to beat them. This guy can’t take a right hand. Then I’d just train that way to beat him. My fear was losing. How do I win? How do I prepare to win? Then I would prepare in this manner. Tyson didn’t have an extensive (international) amateur career like I did. A lot of people don’t realize how that helps you. I’ll try to put it like this: after about 25 fights you don’t always have to keep going to the bathroom before the fight. Then after you get over that, you still get the butterflies before the fight. Then you eventually get over that and the butterflies are gone. You no longer get nervous or scared before fights. Then you have enough experience where, before the fight, you can start to break down the fights – what do I need to do? How do I beat him?”

BoxingInsider: How did the public’s treatment of you change after the Tyson fight?

Lennox Lewis: “The main thing about that – I was trying to retire a year before. But I couldn’t because I never fought Tyson. For us to never have met, people would always say if I was like getting a haircut, Yo, you never fought Tyson. I was stuck on that image of Tyson. I had to fight him. In a sense, it’s kind of weird. A lot of fans said I should give him another chance, they want to see it again. I’m like, They want to see that fight again?! They felt that Tyson wasn’t right, if he trained longer he’d do better. The way I see it is, when I saw Tyson knocking everybody out on TV, I thought, He’s goooood. But when I saw him in person, he didn’t look as awesome. It’s like in the amateurs. Fighters used to be afraid of the Russians, Cubans but then I’d figure them out and figure out how to beat them. Tyson was the same way. As good as he was, he was always more one-dimensional. I was five-dimensional.”

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Caelum is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2012, 02:07 AM   #28
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester1583 View Post
Care to elaborate, dyna?

Hagler claimed he was off balance because he missed a shot, but if you are on the ground thanks to a punch it's a knockdown.

Last edited by dyna; 09-26-2012 at 02:18 AM.
dyna is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2012, 03:42 AM   #29
Lester1583
Can you hear this?
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyna View Post
Thanks, dyna.
Lester1583 is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #30
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxing for life View Post
Tyson was much more advanced. He'd have dominated Lewis
In 1984 Lewis got to the Quarter Finals in an Olympics Tyson could not even qualify for. So why was Tyson 'much more advanced'?
TBooze is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum