Old 12-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #376
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rocky Marciano vs. Sonny Liston

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
i am not sure about that,eddie machen went 12 rounds(with liston) and he had a 75" reach.he didn't possess rocky's strength or punching power.
And he fought like Marciano did ?
Why is the concept of styles so rare on this form ?
he grant is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #377
Beatle
Sheer Analysis
ESB Addict

vCash: 1395

Liston got KOed in the first round by a non-puncher. He was completely senseless from that feather-duster and lost in humiliating fashion.

Marciano got floored by the best KO artist of all time, but got up to stop Archie Moore in the 9th.

Chin matters. Marciano by first-round KO.
Beatle is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #378
Beatle
Sheer Analysis
ESB Addict

vCash: 1395

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Beatle is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #379
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
If you read my post I said unfortunately Liston folded up when in tough and that crack in his armor would be a hard weakness (wide crack in his armor) against Marciano, like I said before Marciano beat guys 6"4 and and guys 220-250lbs but when he won the title the top #1 contenders happened to the smaller better men, Archie beat some very big men on his way to Marciano, so did Walcott guys 6"6 and Charles 6'3 and Lastarza got rid of Dan B.....

Marciano defended his title against the better men who beat the bigger men...I do think Marciano would have had a much easier time breaking down Baker,Valdez then the ATG Moore,Charles and Walcott, even Layne was 34-1-1 and beat the man who beat and drew with him when he faced Rocky and Layne was called by Nat Fleischer as the next Dempsey and next champ but the sudden clean and brutal KO ruined Layne as did fight one with Charles (emptied Ezz tank) war 1 with Walcott (brutal KO) and the 53-3 LaStarza beat everyman to beat him except Rocky but was ruined in fight 2, and Archie took a horrific beating head and body (and was never the same) even though he was still a great and went 38-4-2 post Rocky.....Rocky beat the best men available 5 #1 contenders should he apologize that the bigger men were not the better men of the era

I see Marciano on the inside of Liston, breaking him down and after Sonny throws down his best the little monster keeps throwing punches in bunches with ill intent and Sonny gets tired of the game
When did Liston fold when in tough competition ? U write this like it was a fact, like talented men such as Foley, Williams, Valdez, Machen and Patterson did not go in there and try their best … it's the same stuff often written about Tyson .. that he folded when against a tough guy .. it's nonsense .. fighter's primes are limited and sometimes the fall is driven by physical issues and other by mental but we should compare fighters in their prime … Liston dominated a division for five years and fought everyone that would fight him … then he simply got old, over confident, was inactive and lost to one of the best that ever lived …

No doubt Marciano beat the best men of his time but his time was one of small and old fighters, period. The biggest puncher he ever fought was a 37 year old Joe Walcott … to say the "little monster" gets inside of Liston who was bigger, stronger, harder hitting with a killer jab and a ton of reach on him is a real leap of faith in my opinion .. I say in reality , based on styles, it resembles Hagler - Minter .. Sonny tears him apart with the jab and the ref saves Rocky in a few rounds.
he grant is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #380
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
i am not sure about that,eddie machen went 12 rounds(with liston) and he had a 75" reach.he didn't possess rocky's strength or punching power.
This doesn't actually adress my point , but I'l answer it anyway.
Machen went 12 rds with Liston by boxing on the retreat ,he was a savvy, slilled boxer.

Does that sound Like Rocky, or his modus operandi to you?
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #381
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle View Post
Liston got KOed in the first round by a non-puncher. He was completely senseless from that feather-duster and lost in humiliating fashion.

Marciano got floored by the best KO artist of all time, but got up to stop Archie Moore in the 9th.

Chin matters. Marciano by first-round KO.
Who was a light heavyweight ,and many of his kos were over middles and lhvy's.In his previous fight before Marciano, [ 8 months,] he scaled inside the 175lbs limit, defending his crown against Bobo Olson, a former middle, ps Moore was 41 years old.

Completely senseless? He got up and continued boxing,have you actually seen the fight?
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #382
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by choklab View Post
Baring in mind Albert westphal was not world class and the result Liston recorded against him could have been achieved by most top 5 rated contenders Listons jab stats of that fight was only 6 landing of 21 correct jabs. Liston was even countered a few times. Not that good against a 57 guy who was not that good of an opponent for a world #1 contender.
Take a look at how many jabs Liston landed against 5'9'' George Johnson , ps Liston was in his 40's then. After landing the jab he followed wit h the uppercut. Dangerous weapon for the croucher .
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #383
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
2.5 minutes of the 650 minutes Rocky spent in the ring as a pro.

I could make a similar video showing the powerpunching of Sven Ottke.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #384
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
You need to watch a 40+ Liston against ,come forward ,durable George Scrap Iron Johnson,and then tell me he can't land his jab against short guys,he set Johnson up for combos with it all night.
Scrap iron Johnson was about as hard to hit as any other heavyweight who was knocked out 12 times. Scrap iron had been knocked out by Sonnys own knock out victims like Ernie cab. What that sarap iron fight proved, in fact all it proved, was sonny could take longer to knock out the same guys his earlier victims could also knock out..

Last edited by choklab; 12-06-2013 at 06:48 PM.
choklab is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #385
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
.. I say in reality , based on styles, it resembles Hagler - Minter .. Sonny tears him apart with the jab and the ref saves Rocky in a few rounds.
and yet minter was the taller fighter??? Which fighter in the Hagler vs Minter fight resembles Liston? One fighter was a tall stand up european style the other a short boxer puncher switch hitter who used swarming tactics to win.

Oh, I get it! in the Liston v marciano match up you see the shorter fighter from Brockton win?

Now I know you don't understand fighting styles and technical details...

Last edited by choklab; 12-07-2013 at 01:28 PM.
choklab is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #386
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Who was a light heavyweight ,and many of his kos were over middles and lhvy's.In his previous fight before Marciano, [ 8 months,] he scaled inside the 175lbs limit, defending his crown against Bobo Olson, a former middle, ps Moore was 41 years old.

Completely senseless? He got up and continued boxing,have you actually seen the fight?
Did you forget that Moore also sparked big rated heavyweights? 6'3" 220 Big Bob baker was #2 and knocked out by Moore. Old mongoose was still knocking out poor Lavorante and Radmacher in the 1960s. Wasn't Moore even older by the 1960s? Never mind Holmes in the 1990s or James Toney in the 2000s What on earth does it say for the 1960s heavyweights that post war Archie Moore was still relevant during both Liston and Marciano era?

Last edited by choklab; 12-06-2013 at 06:42 PM.
choklab is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #387
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post

I bet you couldnt.

Ottke wasn't fighting many elite opponents.
choklab is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #388
richdanahuff
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post

Oh C'mon watch the video THEN re-watch his fights like I did a little closer re-assess and you might actually notice these subtle movements. Again as I had said if he was that easy to hit solid at his size he would have been dropped more than twice and possibly stopped at least once.
richdanahuff is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #389
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by choklab View Post
I bet you couldnt.

Ottke wasn't fighting many elite opponents.
Dont tempt me. And how dare you call his opponents anything but elite.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #390
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by richdanahuff View Post
Oh C'mon watch the video THEN re-watch his fights like I did a little closer re-assess and you might actually notice these subtle movements. Again as I had said if he was that easy to hit solid at his size he would have been dropped more than twice and possibly stopped at least once.
Seen the video and all of Rocky's fights a million times. He was not as easy to hit as advertised. Walcott even commented on that. However, he was wildly inconsistent in employing these virtues. He also too often swung for the fences, had bad footing and left himself amateurishly open. A prime Liston was pretty accurate with his jab and especially his uppercut. That could spell trouble.

Look, this is a tough, tough fight for both guys and over the years i have gone back and forth on it. No one is right and everyone is right on this one.
Seamus is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum