Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 09-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
RRLN

vCash: 500
Default Hello All, beginner and gym/coach problem

Hi All,

Been browsing this section of the forum for few weeks so decided to sign up and all the info is very helpful.

I am 23 from uk, been training around 4 months. I train 3 times a week at 2 diff gyms. Monday & weds @ one gym. And thursday at another.

Heres the problem - My mon & weds gym is connected to the right organisations and they have a 'competitive team' which train on a different 3 nights a week to my beginner class. The guy who 'overseas' these beginners classes only ever says 2 phrases to me "have you signed in & im closing in 5 mins". The hour and half i am there i am left to entertain myself - The guy is quite possibly the rudest man ive ever met. I only go becuase the facilitys are decent. But on the other hand i do get fed up and disheartened that i am not learning anything.

Thursday class - 100% spot on, excellent coach and ive called it a class for a reason as everyone pairs up and works on drills, after a warm up and shadow boxing. the coach walks round and observes the pairs offering advise and clear technical instruction. we then do 3 x 3 min sparring at the end followed by conditioning work. It is at this class that my basic skills have developed and i am progressing well threw the style of tution. Problem with this gym is thats is a cage fighting, BJJ, MMA gym, which only offers boxing once a week. It is not affiliated with any boxing organisation so I will not be able to compete via them.

Should i change gyms? say something to the other guy at the gym?

I mean Im not in any rush to compete, but it would be nice to have the option or even be considered, & to test my skills against someone else with similar experience, after all, thats how we learn, right?

Anyways, if youve managed to read all this then thanks and I appreciate any feedback/comments/advice etc
RRLN is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
captain hook
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1794
Default Re: Hello All, beginner and gym/coach problem

find another gym with proper trainers
captain hook is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
hardright

If your not comfortable then its not the gym for you. im a member of 3 gyms right now. on i use for sparring, one i use for workouts and weights, the third i use cause the coaches are good. make it work for you however you like.
hardright is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Since you recognize this as a problem, I think you already know what you need to do.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885

ITs quite clear what you need to do. Once a week isn't enough and you're obviously not getting anywhere in the other gym. Either speak to the coach and say your interested in competing and see if you get more help or move gyms.

Although it may seem obvious to you he may have no idea you are interested in competing or taking it seriously. There are a lot of people who go boxing gyms who have NO interest in even progressing as a boxer let alone competing.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 03:03 AM   #6
ben1990
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

"It is not affiliated with any boxing organisation so I will not be able to compete via them." That right there is always a big red flag man. If a gym competes its usually legit, if they aren't willing to send their boxers into competition that means they believe they aren't teaching you right.
ben1990 is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 03:50 AM   #7
RRLN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1990 View Post
"It is not affiliated with any boxing organisation so I will not be able to compete via them." That right there is always a big red flag man. If a gym competes its usually legit, if they aren't willing to send their boxers into competition that means they believe they aren't teaching you right.
As i said, its becuase its an mma gym, they just hold a boxing class once a week.

I am going to look at a new club later. Not many in my area though.

Thanks guys
RRLN is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 04:41 AM   #8
puertorricane
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

you are 23 and starting out is hard for any trainer to really take you seriously cause they dont see any future in you.....

boxing gyms are not to go and get in shape and just hang out they are for real boxers that will fight.. doubt you will ever get in the ring or taken seriously by any trainer.... well that's how they are around in PR.. i started out at 16 and still had a hard time to get my trainers to take me seriously because they felt they were wasting their time

puertorricane is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 04:43 AM   #9
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1990 View Post
I doubt that's the case - it's an MMA gym. They prob fight MMA so why the need to compete in boxing as well.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 04:44 AM   #10
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by puertorricane View Post
you are 23 and starting out is hard for any trainer to really take you seriously cause they dont see any future in you.....

boxing gyms are not to go and get in shape and just hang out they are for real boxers that will fight.. doubt you will ever get in the ring or taken seriously by any trainer.... well that's how they are around in PR.. i started out at 16 and still had a hard time to get my trainers to take me seriously because they felt they were wasting their time

You post some nonsense
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 05:28 AM   #11
definition

Where in the UK are you? Maybe if we know people can recommend a decent club.

A decent club will look after you regardless of age, gender, ability. I'm a 28 year old female, only been boxing 6 weeks. I'm going to an ABA affiliated club 3 times a week. The coaches are teaching me at the right pace, focusing on technique and adapting drills to my level of ability when working with more experienced boxers.

I expressed an interest in competing from day 1 and this was encouraged but only once I have the right skills. For example, I have not fully sparred yet, only 'touch sparring'.

Ignore some of the stupid comments on here. Use the ABA website for a list of local clubs and go visit them.
definition is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2012, 07:26 AM   #12
RRLN

Quote:
Originally Posted by definition View Post
Where in the UK are you? Maybe if we know people can recommend a decent club.

A decent club will look after you regardless of age, gender, ability. I'm a 28 year old female, only been boxing 6 weeks. I'm going to an ABA affiliated club 3 times a week. The coaches are teaching me at the right pace, focusing on technique and adapting drills to my level of ability when working with more experienced boxers.

I expressed an interest in competing from day 1 and this was encouraged but only once I have the right skills. For example, I have not fully sparred yet, only 'touch sparring'.

Ignore some of the stupid comments on here. Use the ABA website for a list of local clubs and go visit them.

Thanks, your club sounds good. & best of luck on your adventure.

I Live in a small village in between Cirencester & Stroud which is Gloucestershire. would prefer to train in Gloucester though as thats where I work until 6/6.30pm so can straight to training.
RRLN is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2012, 08:06 AM   #13
definition

Well that means youtr 2 local ABA clubs are Tredworth and Gloucester City.

Visit the one you are not currently going to and see what they offer. If its no better then you need to speak to the coach and make it clear you need more help. Good luck!
definition is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing