Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 272
Default Boxing scoring system flawed

12 round fight. Fighter A wins 5 rounds convincingly. 7 Rounds are boring snooze fests that could go either way. Fighter B is announced the winner.

Boxing fans around the world complain. But there's nothing wrong with the decision, those 7 rounds could have gone either way.

You could list hundreds of fights where the winner of the fight, didn't deserve it, because he gets the nod in all close rounds.

Do you thing scoring needs to be changed and if so, what do you prefer?

Personally i think more 10-10 rounds. All close rounds should be 10-10. Only clear rounds awarded 10-9. even if it means a whole fight of 10-10 rounds.

Make fighters have to push to win the rounds.

Other options are the fraction scoring system with half points.
JohnAnthony is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
Porgeous Porge
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Boxing scoring system flawed

maybe more even rounds

i remember watching Ali vs Norton 2 at least i think it was that fight

anyway they said the California commission had a system of scoring where the loser of a round got 0 and the winner got 1-5 points based on his effectiveness

many complained you could lose more rounds and still win

a guy could win rounds with 1's and then the other guy could win two five point rounds and be in it

this would follow your idea of having the guy who wins his rounds more thoroughly get rewarded

problem is that judges can be bad enough as it is, do we really wanna give them more leeway or flexibility to be even more subjective

i dont know
Porgeous Porge is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
Chappy112
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 4000

I used to always score even rounds but people told me nobody does it so my scorecards couldn't really be compared so I don't do it anymore. It's stupid though, if you really have to sit there and watch a round in slow motion to determine who won the round then it's an even round to me.
Chappy112 is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
sbbigmike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Co sign this thread 100%

A 13 round is needed also to prevent draws and things of such nature

The want the system to be ****ed up though so they could feed off of contreversy and protect certain fighters, while they milk others for high paying rematches
sbbigmike is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy112 View Post
I used to always score even rounds but people told me nobody does it so my scorecards couldn't really be compared so I don't do it anymore. It's stupid though, if you really have to sit there and watch a round in slow motion to determine who won the round then it's an even round to me.

This made me laugh. You tube videos in slow motion trying to prove said fighter won.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porgeous Porge View Post
maybe more even rounds

i remember watching Ali vs Norton 2 at least i think it was that fight

anyway they said the California commission had a system of scoring where the loser of a round got 0 and the winner got 1-5 points based on his effectiveness

many complained you could lose more rounds and still win

a guy could win rounds with 1's and then the other guy could win two five point rounds and be in it

this would follow your idea of having the guy who wins his rounds more thoroughly get rewarded

problem is that judges can be bad enough as it is, do we really wanna give them more leeway or flexibility to be even more subjective

i dont know

Bad judging will happen regardless. What i'd like it to change, is that the right person wins.

I believe in Fighter A wins 5 rounds comfortably. And the other 7 rounds are pick em rounds. Then Scoring the win to fighter B, isn't Bad Judging, as it's possible to do that. But the wrong fighter has won the fight. And this happens way to often in Boxing.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #7
fatcity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1040

It just comes down to human nature.Judges are only human and will always have a favourite in the back of their minds.That,plus a yearly trip to the eye doctors may be helpful.
fatcity is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
SHADOW BOX
SHADOW BOX
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

This is interesting. If fighter A beats the shit out of fighter B for 5 rounds, and then decides to run for the remainder 7 and gets lightly hit more for those 7 in a snoozefest, he loses.
SHADOW BOX is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #9
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOW BOX View Post
This is interesting. If fighter A beats the shit out of fighter B for 5 rounds, and then decides to run for the remainder 7 and gets lightly hit more for those 7 in a snoozefest, he loses.

If fighter A wins 5 rounds convincingly, but loses the remaining 7 convincingly, then he loses yes.

But if those 7 rounds are close rounds, then he should win the fight.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru

it would be like in Basketball, you could win the 1st and 2nd quarter by massive margins, then lose the 3rd and 4th quarters by only a pint or 2 each.

In Boxing world, that fight should be a draw.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #11
Mrtibbs
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1615

I actually dont mind the system, but agree more rounds should be given even as a lot of the time a round finished and i say to myself "how the hell do i score that"

The other problem, and i wouldnt call this a massive problem are peoples opinion on how a round should go. I sit with mates and score fights and we come out with totally different scores due to what we think wins a round. He is not wrong, and i am not wrong, but we all look for different things.

I think the only thing that needs to be looked at is corruption and home town decisions. I feel 5 judges, as well as the judges not being ringside (watching it on a TV without crowd noise) could help the sport.

There should also be a stronger commision to overturn or review robberies.

Just my views.
Mrtibbs is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #12
TheHitman81
Road Warrior
ESB Senior Member

Even tho it was much hated by critics I dont mind scoring the fight by announcing each round at the end of the round. This way everyone will know where each fighter stands and a fighter who thinks he might be winning/losing can adjust his gameplan.
TheHitman81 is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #13
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtibbs View Post
I actually dont mind the system, but agree more rounds should be given even as a lot of the time a round finished and i say to myself "how the hell do i score that"

The other problem, and i wouldnt call this a massive problem are peoples opinion on how a round should go. I sit with mates and score fights and we come out with totally different scores due to what we think wins a round. He is not wrong, and i am not wrong, but we all look for different things.

I think the only thing that needs to be looked at is corruption and home town decisions. I feel 5 judges, as well as the judges not being ringside (watching it on a TV without crowd noise) could help the sport.

There should also be a stronger commision to overturn or review robberies.

Just my views.

thats the main issue. But you have to give it one way, when technically whats wrong with scoring at a draw.

Allowing more Rounds scored a draw will be better for the sport. And I agree with 5 judges
Old 09-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #14
Tar Baby
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 430

I agree that judges should give more 10-10 rounds. I feel they're just afraid to do so and feel inclined to give it to someone.
Tar Baby is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #15
PH|LLA
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 5685

if the fans weren't so anal about boxrec records then the official result wouldn't matter as much as the actual performance. Fighters would bounce back quickly from poor decisions and their careers wouldn't suffer as much.
PH|LLA is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum