Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: What's more impressive. Dominating a division for a decade or multi division champ
Dominating one division for a decade (assuming the division is good and not in a weak era) 11 52.38%
Multi division champ 10 47.62%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
Skittlez
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default What's more impressive? Dominating one division for a decade or multi division champ

A lot of ATGS stayed in one division. Jumping divisions is a bit over rated. Especially as the higher weight classes are much harder to become 'multi division' champs.
What's more impressive. Dominating 1 division for a decade or multi division champ. Let's assume the single division fighter is in a strong era. So no joke defenses.
Same with the division hopper, strong era. No weak meaningless title wins. Actaully go to different weight classes and beat a legit champ there.
Skittlez is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
tottenham19
ESB Masterbro
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: What's more impressive? Dominating one division for a decade or multi division ch

I think it'd depend on how strong the division was that said fighter dominated.
tottenham19 is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
Smazz20
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: What's more impressive? Dominating one division for a decade or multi division ch

Ultimately, it'll come down to level of opposition. Dominating a division for a decade will not mean a great deal if it's a fairly weak era overall. Same as if you were a multi division champ, but decided to hop jump and skip your way past the tougher title holders around and took on the weaker ones.

But all things being equal, I would side with dominating for a decade over moving up a couple of weightclasses.
Smazz20 is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
zoo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Depends, because it's not the same as when Armstrong held the featherweight, lightweight and welterweight titles all at the same time. Today somebody could hold 122, 126 and 130lbs titles.....it's three titles in three weight classes however that still doesn't come close to what Armstrong had to do.
zoo is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
The Mangler
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittlez View Post
A lot of ATGS stayed in one division. Jumping divisions is a bit over rated. Especially as the higher weight classes are much harder to become 'multi division' champs.
What's more impressive. Dominating 1 division for a decade or multi division champ. Let's assume the single division fighter is in a strong era. So no joke defenses.
Same with the division hopper, strong era. No weak meaningless title wins. Actaully go to different weight classes and beat a legit champ there.
Since you clarified we're talkin about strong eras and legit world champs, I'd say the multi division champ. If you can beat the true world champ in a couple different divisions, it's better than just beatin 1 world champ and several strong contenders.
The Mangler is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
Elite
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 143

I got multi. Being in one division is limited after you beat the top fighters, I mean look at the Klits ****ers own that division. While jumping divisions you can beat the champions and make your mark there and so on...
Elite is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
JAB5239
Champion
East Side Guru

I think a fighter should have at least 5 or 6 fights as champion before moving on to conquer a new division. Just beating the champion is not enough for me, its about styles and durability. On most cases I'd say its harder to stay at the top than it is to get there.
JAB5239 is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP

vCash: 107

Neither for me. It depends how good how great your opposition is. Too many people get caught up on longetivity in one division or division hopping thats good I guess, but not if your doing it against B levels or former greats.
elchivito is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #9
skellington
Bogbrush
ESB Senior Member

Sadly nowadays jumping divisions is often just an excuse for avoiding the better fighters in your own division.

In this case, being the champ in one division and defending against all on comers is the more impressive path to take IMO.
skellington is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 115412

Multi if they keep challenging themselves and fight the division best.
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 06:22 PM   #11
JAB5239
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tliang1000 View Post
Multi if they keep challenging themselves and fight the division best.
Yeah, but that could just be a matter of styles. Defend 5 or 6 times and you've left no stone unturned. The problem is fighters today refuse to fight often enough and are spoiled once they hit elite status.
JAB5239 is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #12
jeffjoiner
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smazz20 View Post
Ultimately, it'll come down to level of opposition. Dominating a division for a decade will not mean a great deal if it's a fairly weak era overall. Same as if you were a multi division champ, but decided to hop jump and skip your way past the tougher title holders around and took on the weaker ones.

But all things being equal, I would side with dominating for a decade over moving up a couple of weightclasses.
Agreed on all counts.
jeffjoiner is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum