jecxbox is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2008, 09:33 PM   #17
saul_ir34
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 675
Default Re: Punching Strength BOXERS VS MMA

Yea is he even considered the hardest 140lb puncher???
I always thought Ricardo Torres looks like the could hit pretty damn hard.
saul_ir34 is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2008, 09:57 PM   #18
SugarRay
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

If its is just punching power you are talking about then boxers definately punch the hardest because forces generated by the momentum of the body (coming forward), the twisting of the waist and fist upon impact and planting the feet firmly on the ground makes the technique very effective. In physics term Force = Mass X Acceleration and Power = Force/ Time. Kicks, when done correctly (running side-kick and perhaps spinning kick) could quite easily achieve this kind of power. I wonder if anyone has ever measured how hard a soccer player kicks???
SugarRay is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2008, 10:26 PM   #19
saul_ir34
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 675

There is one guy Roberto Carlos. That guy is about 5'5" he is a soccer player and his legs are probably the size of a teens waist. He can kick some ****en cannons. He is from Brazil and they did a study on him and it was just amazing how hard that guy can kick.
saul_ir34 is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2008, 10:43 PM   #20
Shane_Erich
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1214

I watched that last night, they said it was comparible or something liek that to a heavyweight boxer and they didnt say who it was? i remeber Chris Byrd was on about a month ago so maybe they compared it to him? Also teh MMA guy was only using a 4 oz glove.
Shane_Erich is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2008, 10:49 PM   #21
TFFP

vCash:

If some MMA cretin could punch a bag harder than Wlad I would not only admit that the heavyweight division is a steamling pile of horse turd but I would stop watching boxing
Old 01-28-2008, 11:15 PM   #22
trac209
Contender
ESB Senior Member

i heard once that squatdog ko'ed a horse with a powershot
trac209 is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2008, 11:29 PM   #23
freddy-wak
M O D E R A T O R
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

bullshit...i just cracked a 925 at my local bar...and i was drunk...in vegas, i got up to 1000
freddy-wak is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2008, 11:34 PM   #24
radianttwilight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.falk
Uhhhh.... you know they were pandering to mma fans with that, right?
They are not trained to punch, and punch only. They are trained to move, they are trained to block, to slip... so no, they are not trained to punch only.
Also, it's just as likely that boxing is more difficult because of it's limited arsenal (pssst.... IT'S LIMITED BY DEFINITION OF THE SPORT!). There's not as much wiggle room to hide your inability to compete on the boxing stage. So your concern of "they don't have to worry about..... blah blah blah" is irrelevant.

I will tell you, quit sucking kickboxer dwyck to prove a point. It's not an issue of punch vs. kick. It's punch vs. punch. You sound like one of those prats that handles losing at a particular sport (let's say tennis) by replying with... "yeah... well.... did you know that baseball players swing an object that is more dense than a tennis racket?!".
Don't be a dick, you know exactly what I was talking about. If you're a boxer, then your sport is BOXING - you train to move, punch, and not get punched. If you're a KICKBOXER - you train to move, punch, not get punched, kick, and not get kicked. I'm sure you're aware of the fact that kicking reach is quite a bit bigger than punching reach, so I would hope you could take the next step in comprehending that a kickboxer might be worried about things like...kicks?

It's hard to plant your feet and throw a real hard textbook left hook when you have to get in kicking range to do so. That's why MMA guys jump in and out when they punch - if they stay at "punching range" they eat kicks and it's lights-out.

As far as your tennis "analogy" - that's a fallacy. A proper comparison would be a hurdler to a decathlete. The hurdler says "well, your 110M hurdle time sucks in comparison to mine". The decathlete responds by saying "well, you can't throw a shotput for jack shit, you can't pole vault, you can't run the 1500M any faster than my grandma" and so on.

Obviously an athlete that specializes in a more one-dimensional sport like boxing is going to be superior in that one dimension. MMA guys are trained to duck, slip, dodge punches and kicks in similar fashion to boxers, but they also have the entire clinch + ground game to train for.

And as a parting note - it wouldn't suprise me at all if Klitschko punches harder than any mixed martial artist in history. Comparing him to Rutten is pointless though, comparing a top-notch heavyweight puncher like Klitschko to an ancient Bas Rutten (who was never a prolific puncher, even in his day) is like comparing Chuck Liddell from the height of his reign to 1983 Muhammad Ali.
radianttwilight is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2008, 11:38 PM   #25
SugarRay
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saul_ir34
There is one guy Roberto Carlos. That guy is about 5'5" he is a soccer player and his legs are probably the size of a teens waist. He can kick some ****en cannons. He is from Brazil and they did a study on him and it was just amazing how hard that guy can kick.
Yes, I have seen some of his kicks especially the curved ones. A lot of power is required to generate such projection
SugarRay is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2008, 05:47 AM   #26
mturner77
Journeyman

Quote:
I watched that last night, they said it was comparible or something liek that to a heavyweight boxer and they didnt say who it was? i remeber Chris Byrd was on about a month ago so maybe they compared it to him? Also teh MMA guy was only using a 4 oz glove.
The boxer they were using as the example was some over the hill slob who featured in the first episode of Fight Science thus making the whole thing a joke.
mturner77 is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2008, 05:56 AM   #27
barneyrub
Contender
ESB Senior Member

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

"At first, experts from Biosense Medical thought that Ricky had landed a blow with an astonishing 1,500Kg of instantaneous force behind it.

But more detailed analysis carried out in the United States revealed the power of the punch had caused the sensor to malfunction, giving a false reading.

Undeterred by this setback, impact engineers from The University of Manchester used alternative data and examined previous studies, and concluded Ricky had landed a blow with 400Kg of instantaneous force behind it."

That is measured in kg so someone will need to convert that to lbs to make a comparison to the fight science measurements.
barneyrub is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2008, 07:10 AM   #28
dangerousity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 719

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyrub

"At first, experts from Biosense Medical thought that Ricky had landed a blow with an astonishing 1,500Kg of instantaneous force behind it.

But more detailed analysis carried out in the United States revealed the power of the punch had caused the sensor to malfunction, giving a false reading.

Undeterred by this setback, impact engineers from The University of Manchester used alternative data and examined previous studies, and concluded Ricky had landed a blow with 400Kg of instantaneous force behind it."

That is measured in kg so someone will need to convert that to lbs to make a comparison to the fight science measurements.
Thats 881lb. Considering Hatton is a WW and Bas I believe is a HW, not too bad.
dangerousity is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2008, 07:13 AM   #29
Polymath
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I don't have a source right, try and find it later, but I remember Foreman's power being up there, but beaten by, wait for it....Frank Bruno!
Polymath is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2008, 07:14 AM   #30
Dostoevsky
Hardcore......to the max!
ESB Addict

No wonder he broke 4 of Castillos ribs. You'd think he would get more head knockouts with that sort of power.
Dostoevsky is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum