Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #1
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Jack Dempsey v Oliver McCall

Will Ollie's substantial weight advantage carry him through ?

Or Will Jack's superior skills and ferocity win the day ?
Stevie G is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #2
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3600
Default Re: Jack Dempsey v Oliver McCall

desper8 trolling as usual , i took d bait b4 d worse did .

"Stevie G" , feel more than welcomed 2 ignore this post of mine .

Harrison gets frightened by McCall's tan he was not used 2c on his opponents , given that he agreed 2 enter d ring at all which we know that he never did against differently colored opponents .

Fight ends similar 2d Maskaev fight or d Flynn fight , with McCall having no need 2 even remove Harrison's gloves from his face , but rather angrily punching along and through them , with poor William Harrison getting shamefully knocked out .
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
similar 2d Maskaev fight .

I think Ollie with his head screwed on right wins this KO in mid rounds.
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

This is indeed a tough one to call. That's what influenced me to make a thread on it. Dempsey,although a far better fighter,in a pound for pound sense,may well find the tremendous weight difference an extremely tough nut to crack.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
desper8 trolling as usual , i took d bait b4 d worse did .

"Stevie G" , feel more than welcomed 2 ignore this post of mine .

Harrison gets frightened by McCall's tan he was not used 2c on his opponents , given that he agreed 2 enter d ring at all which we know that he never did against differently colored opponents .

Fight ends similar 2d Maskaev fight or d Flynn fight , with McCall having no need 2 even remove Harrison's gloves from his face , but rather angrily punching along and through them , with poor William Harrison getting shamefully knocked out .

Frank,I could never ignore your posts
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
Smashgar
McMustache Nuthugger
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 356

This is the same McCall who got decisioned by Orlin Norris in his prime, right? I never saw that fight and I hate to be a boxrec hero, but I just feel compelled to remind the thread that McCall was a very beatable dude.

I am neither a habitual dinosaur hugger nor a Dempsey booster, but I am going to say Dempsey by decision. Maybe by late TKO with McCall still on his feet but looking like he was hit by a car. McCall is a lot bigger and very tough physically, but at the end of the day he just wasn't that good.
Smashgar is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
Dementia Pugulistica
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 377

Dempsey. Time has proven that McCall lacks the mental toughness to compete at the elite level.
Dementia Pugulistica is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

The sensible debate would be:

"Can Dempsey be the first to stop McCall?"
janitor is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2012, 04:56 AM   #9
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashgar View Post
This is the same McCall who got decisioned by Orlin Norris in his prime, right? I never saw that fight and I hate to be a boxrec hero, but I just feel compelled to remind the thread that McCall was a very beatable dude.

I am neither a habitual dinosaur hugger nor a Dempsey booster, but I am going to say Dempsey by decision. Maybe by late TKO with McCall still on his feet but looking like he was hit by a car. McCall is a lot bigger and very tough physically, but at the end of the day he just wasn't that good.

I don't deny that McCall was VERY beatable. He'd be ranked very low indeed in a Heavyweight Greats list,but it's just the combination of styles,and weight difference in this particualr scenario that would make him a very hard opponent for the all round better fighter,Dempsey,to beat.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2012, 06:09 AM   #10
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Dempsey's greater workrate and speed of hand and foot should win a decision indeed but McCall can knock Dempsey out too. He's legions stronger than Dempsey and ko'd Lewis, Maskeev, Akinwande, Damiani and an unbeaten Seldon (I wonder if that fight ruined Seldon's punch resistance actually...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashgar View Post

1. It was an SD so maybe unjust?
2. Norris in his prime was pretty good, many thought he beat Tucker
3. McCall also ko'd Lewis, Maskeev, Akinwande and an unbeaten Seldon while decisioning Larry Holmes. Pretty dangerous for a smaller man?
4. McCall according to gave Tyson some hard times in sparring. A very good puncher, iron chin. Ironically Tyson clowned McCall when he lost to Douglas.

Can we stop with the Dempsey match ups now?
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #11
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

No way on earth could Jack stop Oliver it's beyond the realms of reasonable probability.

Jack probably wins a decision but I wouldn't rule out a Mccall stoppage.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2012, 01:30 AM   #12
Dementia Pugulistica
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 377

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post

Yeah that's a tall order. I just think that the atomic bull comes up short and dempsey finds a way. ( horse shoe in the glove ) The size difference would be a great challenge.
Dementia Pugulistica is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2012, 05:59 AM   #13
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post

Nah, unless maybe he concentrated on Ollie's mid section maybe but otherwise no. Ollie faced dozens of punchers in his career and was a sparring partner for alot of big punchers like Cooper and Tyson and was never KO'd. According to what i've heard Tyson decked him about 3 times in sparring, but I can't confirm this. Funnily enough McCall said the naturally smaller Cooper was the hardest puncher he ever faced.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:09 AM   #14
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3600

McCall also was a sparring partner 4 Frank Bruno which helps 2 explain his loss 2 Bruno along with d usual size disparity against McCall and d fight being fought in London as opposed 2d USA (not claiming that McCall deserved d decision but these factors and probably others had n effect) .

never read or heard anything on Tyson decking McCall , all i read was that he never managed it and that McCall floored Tyson .

I saw d sparing session in which McCall quit due 2 body punching by Tyson so maybe that was what u confuse with Tyson decking him .

Bruno has a claim 4 a technical KD over McCall and Akinwande has a claim 4 a KD over both McCall and Lewis although it was not ruled a KD in neither case .
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2012, 06:32 AM   #15
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
McCall also was a sparring partner 4 Frank Bruno which helps 2 explain his loss 2 Bruno along with d usual size disparity against McCall and d fight being fought in London as opposed 2d USA (not claiming that McCall deserved d decision but these factors and probably others had n effect) .

never read or heard anything on Tyson decking McCall , all i read was that he never managed it and that McCall floored Tyson .

I saw d sparing session in which McCall quit due 2 body punching by Tyson so maybe that was what u confuse with Tyson decking him .

Bruno has a claim 4 a technical KD over McCall and Akinwande has a claim 4 a KD over both McCall and Lewis although it was not ruled a KD in neither case .
Someone on here, don't remember who, just said that McCall had been decked a few times by Tyson, I'm not saying I believe it and like I said cannot confirm anything. I've seen the footage your talking about tho.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum