Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-16-2008, 09:08 PM   #1
Sardu
RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Ron Lyle (circa 1977):"Ken Norton is deathly afraid to fight me." Who would have won?

In an early 1977 Boxing Illustrated story about contender Ron Lyle he made this claim about Ken Norton avoiding him at all costs. Keep in mind that during the glory days of the HW division most of the contenders all fought eachother.

Common opponents of Norton and Lyle: Jack O'Halloran, Jerry Quarry, Jose Luis Garcia, Larry Middleton, Jimmy Young, Muhammad Ali, George Foreman, Earnie Shavers, Scott LeDoux, Gerry Cooney.

I feel as though Lyle was never the same after that 1976 topsy-turvy superbrawl with Foreman. However, the same could be said for Kenny after that heartbreaking decision loss to Ali in 1976 at Yankee Stadium.

This fight could have been made sometime in the summer of 1977. A crazy time when a lunatic (38-calibre killer) was gunning down young couples in the Bronx and Queens and the city experienced a brief blackout after which mayhem ensued with people looting stores and destroying property.

Lyle's resume was less than stellar after the Foreman fight. He was badly staggered by Joe Bugner but the big Hungarian did not press his advantage to try and finish Lyle. Lyle outworked Bugner to a decision. He then beat fringe contender Stan Ward on points. An aging Lyle was kayoed in two by someone named Lynn Ball and in his swan song his 'remains' were knocked out with a shot to the ribs by Gerry Cooney.
He was outslicked by Jimmy Young in November 1976.

Norton's exploits are well documented on here so no need to go into details. I should point out that Norton was a hot fighter in 1977 though. He wiped out 'white hope' Duane Bobbick in nanoseconds in May 1977. Then he on a hotly contested disputed decision over Jimmy Young in a spirited fight around the same time Lyle was beating ward in 1977.

Would Norton outwork and outbox the cumbersome Lyle? Would Lyle intimidate and overpower Norton with his big shots? Any opinions? Thanks!
Sardu is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2008, 09:11 PM   #2
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Ron Lyle (circa 1977):"Ken Norton is deathly afraid to fight me." Who would have won?

Lyle could punch but although a strong puncher he was not devastating, he was slow but I still think he had enough power to back Ken up for the stop or UD
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 02-16-2008, 09:13 PM   #3
SteveO
MSW
ESB Addict

vCash: 1040
Default Re: Ron Lyle (circa 1977):"Ken Norton is deathly afraid to fight me." Who would have won?

I pick Norton...but I don't really know why.

Probably not fair to pick him without a reason.
SteveO is offline  Top
Old 02-16-2008, 09:36 PM   #4
Icemmann
Breakin it down.
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardu
In an early 1977 Boxing Illustrated story about contender Ron Lyle he made this claim about Ken Norton avoiding him at all costs. Keep in mind that during the glory days of the HW division most of the contenders all fought eachother.

Common opponents of Norton and Lyle: Jack O'Halloran, Jerry Quarry, Jose Luis Garcia, Larry Middleton, Jimmy Young, Muhammad Ali, George Foreman, Earnie Shavers, Scott LeDoux, Gerry Cooney.

I feel as though Lyle was never the same after that 1976 topsy-turvy superbrawl with Foreman. However, the same could be said for Kenny after that heartbreaking decision loss to Ali in 1976 at Yankee Stadium.

This fight could have been made sometime in the summer of 1977. A crazy time when a lunatic (38-calibre killer) was gunning down young couples in the Bronx and Queens and the city experienced a brief blackout after which mayhem ensued with people looting stores and destroying property.

Lyle's resume was less than stellar after the Foreman fight. He was badly staggered by Joe Bugner but the big Hungarian did not press his advantage to try and finish Lyle. Lyle outworked Bugner to a decision. He then beat fringe contender Stan Ward on points. An aging Lyle was kayoed in two by someone named Lynn Ball and in his swan song his 'remains' were knocked out with a shot to the ribs by Gerry Cooney.

Norton's exploits are well documented on here so no need to go into details. I should point out that Norton was a hot fighter in 1977 though. He wiped out 'white hope' Duane Bobbick in nanoseconds in May 1977. Then he on a hotly contested disputed decision over Jimmy Young in a spirited fight around the same time Lyle was beating ward in 1977.

Would Norton outwork and outbox the cumbersome Lyle? Would Lyle intimidate and overpower Norton with his big shots? Any opinions? Thanks!
Thought it was a .44 the Son of Sam used.

Back on topic, I think Lyle would have knocked him out.
Icemmann is offline  Top
Old 02-16-2008, 09:38 PM   #5
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I have a feeling Lyle would knock him out in one of the mid rounds like 7.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2008, 12:08 AM   #6
Sardu
RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemmann
Thought it was a .44 the Son of Sam used.

Back on topic, I think Lyle would have knocked him out.

Thanks Icemmann it was the .44 calibre killer. My mistake.
Sardu is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2008, 12:36 AM   #7
bxrfan
Sizzle
ESB Addict

If we're talking 77, then Norton would have won. Both we're slipping at that point, but Lyle was more so than Norton.
bxrfan is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2008, 12:17 PM   #8
abraq
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Ron Lyle (circa 1977):"Ken Norton is deathly afraid to fight me." Who would have

I started this thread some time back.

The vast majority of posters had picked Lyle.

I concur.
abraq is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2008, 12:22 PM   #9
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Norton wasn't matched with a few of the big 70's fighters, which is weird considering how most of them fought one another, as previously mentioned.

Frazier vs. Norton also comes to mind, but that supposedly had more to do with mutual respect between the two and the sparring they did.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2008, 02:31 PM   #10
clark
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Ron Lyle would win easily.
clark is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2008, 07:18 PM   #11
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Default Re: Ron Lyle (circa 1977):"Ken Norton is deathly afraid to fight me." Who would have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardu

Not an easy match to predict. Lyle had trouble with quick boxers.I think Norton's jab and movement would be enough to win a decsion if it went the distance. Either man could stop the other. I'll go with Norton here.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2008, 07:32 PM   #12
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: The Valley of the shadow of death . Remember a desperate man is a dangerous man !!
vCash: 300

I say a pick em.. Kenny had some mixed showings.. The Lyle who boxed Cooney would get sideswiped by Norton.. But the savage who boxed Foreman would have demolished the Norton who faced George...

Good match up ....
Bigcat is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2008, 12:47 PM   #13
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Norton at that time would've beaten Lyle, the Foreman loss took a toll on him.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2008, 11:12 PM   #14
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 103

I watched Norton and Lyle very closely when they were fighting in the mid to late '70s. I remember their respective abilities in 1977. At that point, I think Norton would have beaten Lyle, probably by decision.

By 1977, Lyle was showing signs of slowing down. He didn't have the panache, or speed of foot, that he had exhibited prior to the Foreman fight. I think Lyle's ringwear and age were getting the better of him by 1977.

Lyle's win over Bugner was very indecisive. Many believe that Lyle won only because Bugner took the bout after a very lengthy period of inactivity and possibly Joe wasn't prepared to fight his best. Also, Bugner wasn't a big puncher, so Lyle was able to keep moving forward in that bout until he eked out a decision.

Against Bugner, Lyle didn't show the same energy and fluidity he displayed two years earlier, when he did so well against Ali.

Norton was still close to his prime in 1977. I believe he would have had the speed, energy, boxing ability and power to handle Lyle.

Lyle probably would have had his moments against Norton in 1977, backing Ken against the ropes and winning points by outworking him on the inside. But Norton would have survived, and for the most part, he would have dominated the action in center ring with his fast, hard jab and his overhand right.

After about eight rounds, the bout would probably be even, or slightly in favor of Norton. After the eighth, Norton probably would have taken full control, scoring frequently with big hooks, uppercuts and overhand rights.

Lyle would have survived heavy punishment in the final rounds because of his very tough chin. Ron could take a punch.

In short, I see this fight going much like the Lyle-Bugner fight, except that Norton hit so much harder than Bugner that he would have been able to back Lyle up consistently and win a hard fought but wide decision.

Final score probably would have been 8-4 in rounds for Norton.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2008, 10:15 PM   #15
markedwardscott
Contender
ESB Senior Member

In 77 Norton would win. A few years before and Lyle by KO.
markedwardscott is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum