Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-30-2012, 03:27 AM   #1
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773
Default Dempsey vs Harry Greb

So far from what i've heard about the sparring sessions it sounds like Dempsey wouldn't have had much of a chance if they actually fought. If they did what would be the result k.o, decision ect over 15 rounds? And was there anything Dempsey could do in your opinion to help his chances? [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Theron is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2012, 05:44 AM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Dempsey vs Harry Greb

"Winning" a very short sparring contest is to a 15 round title fight what night is to day. That should be obvious enough.

On the other hand, you now have to prepare yourself for an avalanche of people telling you Greb had no chance to win, which is strange.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 05:48 AM   #3
FastHands(beeb)
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Isn't there a quote attributed to Greb somewhere where he admits something along the lines that he didn't think he would beat Dempsey in an actual bout? Or is that hearsay?
FastHands(beeb) is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 05:56 AM   #4
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

I think Greb can certainly win on points.

The weight difference here isn't that big, Greb, from what I've read was quicker, more active and more accurate.

Without seeing any footage I can't pick a winner, but I certainly don't agree with those writing Greb off. I also don't agree with those putting much stock in the sparring session.

It's a shame, just like the Wills fight, that we hae two greats who competed in this division at the same time as Dempsey and we can't conclusively say who the best man was.
lufcrazy is online now  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 06:09 AM   #5
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastHands(beeb) View Post
Isn't there a quote attributed to Greb somewhere where he admits something along the lines that he didn't think he would beat Dempsey in an actual bout? Or is that hearsay?
Greb chased a fight with Dempsey from before the Mauler was champion, until he was way past prime. The last time a fight was seriously mooted between the two was as a warm up for Dempsey's bout with Wills around a year before he met Wills, and at that point, Greb didn't seem particularly confident - he had also withdrawn his offer to fight the champ for free.

But in his prime he was confident. No reason not to be really, he tended to do very well against the guys Dempsey had met.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 06:25 AM   #6
FastHands(beeb)
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Greb chased a fight with Dempsey from before the Mauler was champion, until he was way past prime. The last time a fight was seriously mooted between the two was as a warm up for Dempsey's bout with Wills around a year before he met Wills, and at that point, Greb didn't seem particularly confident - he had also withdrawn his offer to fight the champ for free.

But in his prime he was confident. No reason not to be really, he tended to do very well against the guys Dempsey had met.
McG - thanks for responding to my post. I knew I had read something but it was a long time ago & I couldn't remember the specifics...if, as you say, Greb withdrew his offer to fight Dempsey for free, that would certainly indicate a drop in confidence.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:32 AM   #7
SP_Mauler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

First photo of them together is awesome aswell as scary. They're both staring at you as to say "we got a problem"
SP_Mauler is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 06:35 AM   #8
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
McG - thanks for responding to my post. I knew I had read something but it was a long time ago & I couldn't remember the specifics...if, as you say, Greb withdrew his offer to fight Dempsey for free, that would certainly indicate a drop in confidence.
Dropped to just the standard procedure of fighting him for money.

What shows here is Dempsey's lack of confidence, in that he wouldnt meet this brazen challenger who would fight him for free
Pachilles is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #9
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Wills said he wanted to fight him for free too.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 07:10 AM   #10
brickfists
The Nonpareil
ESB Addict

vCash: 542

The fact that Dempsey refused to fight Greb tells me all i need to know about his confidence and chances of actually winning
brickfists is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #11
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
FH, no this quote that Harry Greb uttered to a boxing writer " after 5 or so
rounds, Dempsey would kill me ",I read several times in old boxing magazines of the 1940s...
So why did Greb, believing this challenge Dempsey for a bout? He would have made more money for that one bout than a year of fighting town to town, and as the Bio of Greb's book reads ,"Harry Greb was fearless"...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #12
FastHands(beeb)
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachilles View Post
Dropped to just the standard procedure of fighting him for money.

What shows here is Dempsey's lack of confidence, in that he wouldnt meet this brazen challenger who would fight him for free
I was agreeing with McGrain.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #13
FastHands(beeb)
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
FH, no this quote that Harry Greb uttered to a boxing writer " after 5 or so
rounds, Dempsey would kill me ",I read several times in old boxing magazines of the 1940s...
So why did Greb, believing this challenge Dempsey for a bout? He would have made more money for that one bout than a year of fighting town to town, and as the Bio of Greb's book reads ,"Harry Greb was fearless"...
BB (hope you are keeping well), what you quote is something along the lines of what I remember reading
Old 09-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #14
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
BB (hope you are keeping well), what you quote is something along the lines of what I remember reading
Yes FH, read it several times I sure did...We must remember now, during Dempsey's reign there was not as much demand for Dempsey to fight
Harry Greb as there is today on ESB...Especially after Dempsey kod the
Orchard man Carpentier in 1921, who was even bigger than Harry Greb.
Would Harry Greb, my favourite fighter of alltimes have had a chance to
beat Dempsey, both at their bests ? I believe he had a very slight chance of lasting the distance against a much stronger heavyweight, faster than
many middleweights of that time...Harry Greb's main forte was SPEED and
his absolute best weight was about 158-65 at most, so Dempsey at 187 or so would outweigh Harry by about 20 pounds...Harry Greb used to say that "I love to fight the big boys, cause they get in their own way"...
Dempsey's braintrust figured that to fight a middleweight like Greb would be a no win situation. If Dempsey loses, he loses his title and fortune. If Dempsey kos Greb, people would say," why doesn't Dempsey pick on someone his own size". Truly a no-win situation...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #15
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

It must just be stressed that nobody outside of Burt, including Kompton and Bill Paxton have seen or reproduced this quote.
McGrain is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum