Old 10-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #76
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121
Default Re: Why Mayweather beats Sergio Martinez

Quote:
Originally Posted by thawk888 View Post
But that wasn't really an inside fight. Julio puts his head down and has a gape of space between his head and body that the smaller Martinez had a field day with. Not to mention that Chavez barely threw any punches.

Martinez having full range of his arms and body doesn't constitute as an inside battle to me. I've seen Martinez do the same thing in the past. When he really does get in the range where he can't get that comfortable mid range torque on his shots, he clinches or turns.
I'd still qualify that as inside fighting, his head was in Jr.'s shoulder, it's just that the shorter man often has extra space to work, especially with the gap you refer to against Chavez. Nobody successfully fights so close to their opponent that they cant throw, whether they're natural infighters or not. Sergio sat down on his punches and traded in the pocket multiple times throughout the fight to his advantage.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #77
pipe wrenched
ESB ELITE SQUAD
East Side VIP

vCash: 1852

One of the better threads I seen in a while
pipe wrenched is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #78
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by unloco View Post
no way bro , his power at welter is average , he could not ko jmm at 147

howis he gonna ko martinez a much bigger opponent with a a solid beard?
Nobody has KO'd Marquez lol..and I have serious doubts Sergio can make the weight without being drained.
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #79
thawk888
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetethePrince View Post
Floyd out-doing Sergio in the pocket is funny. I don't see the fight being there, and let's not act like Floyd is Ward offensively when it comes to in-fighting.

IMO, I just see Floyd as a better fighter, close range.
thawk888 is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #80
klion22
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 7559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delroc View Post
i swear to god if this fight happens and Martinez is the underdog i'm making serious money
No doubt.
klion22 is online now  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #81
thawk888
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
I'd still qualify that as inside fighting, his head was in Jr.'s shoulder, it's just that the shorter man often has extra space to work, especially with the gap you refer to against Chavez. Nobody successfully fights so close to their opponent that they cant throw, whether they're natural infighters or not. Sergio sat down on his punches and traded in the pocket multiple times throughout the fight to his advantage.
Ward does.
thawk888 is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #82
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

Quote:
Another common misconception is that Barker had success primarily due to his length and height. He's only 6"0 and I bet Barkers arms are as little as an inch longer or the same length as Martinez. It was the tactics that made Martinez uncomfortable. It was being crowded, but not just that, it was being crowded and not given much to work off of while countering effectively that made Martinez desperate and switching to pure offense, which saw him through to get the "ear drum" stoppage.

Martinez having to lead, being countered effectively and not being able to retaliate with his own shots immediately, is what makes him uncomfortable. Barker wasn't a good enough fighter nor athlete to up the work-rate and sustain the little he was doing right. But the blueprint is there, and it can be followed by a smaller, better fighter as well.
Agreed, well said. This was my take on the Barker fight too. Barker's height & ranginess certainly helped him a little. It would be interesting to see Mayweather implement that strategy against a much bigger fighter. We've seen him do it in the lower divisions. He walked down Mosley and Ortiz, but those guys aren't in the same level of Martinez in terms of size and skill.

Floyd is aging and Martinez has been more active. I'd give Floyd the slight edge as a favorite. 60/40 type odds because Martinez is the biggest, most skilled fighter that has a terrific work-rate. I think Martinez's activity and fluid sort of nature could be difficult to out-chess, out-feint, and always be one step ahead of. Mayweather can certainly win some of those boxing exchanges, but Martinez will be there to throw back often when he gets hit. That's the biggest key for him as a viable opponent.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 07:23 PM   #83
thawk888
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

We'll never know cause Chavez never mounted an offense to show if Martinez really knows what he's doing close range. Letting your hands go to a punching bag does not equate to "inside fighting". i.e. Pac vs. Margarito

Slipping, countering, getting a man into position while shoulder to shoulder is inside fighting, imo. Something I've never seen Martinez exhibit.
thawk888 is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 07:23 PM   #84
baldbull
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Sergio wins because Floyd never drums up the balls to fight and has dozens of ready made excuses. Floyd will never step in with Sergio so forget it.
baldbull is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #85
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1233

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetethePrince View Post
Floyd out-doing Sergio in the pocket is funny. I don't see the fight being there, and let's not act like Floyd is Ward offensively when it comes to in-fighting.

Fights not going to happen, anyway. If it does I'll gladly watch the tape and break down the footage and make a post on my thoughts. I'll admit I'm wrong too. I hope I will be...
Sergio is bigger than Floyd and has more power, and that's about the only thing that'll help him vs Floyd in the pocket. Floyd is a smart fighter up close. I was surprised and happy to see Sergio beat Chavez up close in the inside, but he was completely open the whole side and his only answer for it seemed to be just to absorb the punches coming at him.
I don't think the fight will take place too long there, but I do believe we'll see some action there and Floyd will be the one mostly in control. Floyd has outfought plenty of guys bigger than him up close
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #86
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

Quote:
Ward does.
Your point isn't untrue it's just a case of focusing on a technicality.

What's Floyd going to exactly do to out-work or bully Sergio on the inside by the way?

Sergio's going to maneuver, or let his hands go. Floyd is not Ward. Hell, he's not even James Toney when it comes to the inside. These exaggerations need to stop.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #87
thawk888
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldbull View Post
Sergio wins because Floyd never drums up the balls to fight and has dozens of ready made excuses. Floyd will never step in with Sergio so forget it.
Awesome contribution.
thawk888 is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #88
Leon
The Artful Dodger
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

if you think Floyd wins, how wide or close do you have it for him?
Leon is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #89
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1233

Quote:
Another common misconception is that Barker had success primarily due to his length and height. He's only 6"0 and I bet Barkers arms are as little as an inch longer or the same length as Martinez. It was the tactics that made Martinez uncomfortable. It was being crowded, but not just that, it was being crowded and not given much to work off of while countering effectively that made Martinez desperate and switching to pure offense, which saw him through to get the "ear drum" stoppage.

Martinez having to lead, being countered effectively and not being able to retaliate with his own shots immediately, is what makes him uncomfortable. Barker wasn't a good enough fighter nor athlete to up the work-rate and sustain the little he was doing right. But the blueprint is there, and it can be followed by a smaller, better fighter as well.
exactly that's the same thing I saw when I watched the fight
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #90
Boxing Fanatic
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldbull View Post
never say never. after seeing jr almost stop him in the last round, anything is possible
Boxing Fanatic is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum