Old 10-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #106
thawk888
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Why Mayweather beats Sergio Martinez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I don't remember Floyd and Shane fighting inside much, but when it happened it featured Shane getting beat up
It was a bunch of Shanes arms flailing and Mayweather bludgeoning him with straight rights and left crosses.
thawk888 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #107
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetethePrince View Post
Martinez would get hit. Chavez did not do what Roach insisted for 11 pounds "Punch in between the punches." When he did, and when Sergio got over-confident, he dropped him. Chavez didn't take the risk so he didn't earn the reward to win. He covered up far too often. But when he did exchange, Martinez straighter puncher got the better of it. That's what made Chavez reluctant for the majority of the fight.

I get your point, and I'd agree. Just what exactly does Floyd do to boss opponents on the inside? Enlighten me. Don't show me some defensive display. If Floyd wants to make things anymore gritty or dangerous then he has to he's going to pay a risk getting in between the multiples straight shots from various angles before Floyd can do anything offensively on the inside. Again, he is not Ward. Not even James Toney when it comes to in-fighting.
That's an excellent point, he finally got to Martinez when he timed his own punches between Sergio's, excellent advice from Roach. I don't think Floyd prefers that method though, that's something a counter-puncher like Marquez thrives on. Floyd is great in the pocket defensively, but I don't see him initiating clinches. He reacts to inside pressure, he doesn't smother. But if Martinez chooses to find him there or the fall into a clinch, the question is who's craft will be superior? I see Floyd's ability to push with the shoulder and grab with his arms while hitting as being effective, but I feel Martinez would just throw with much more willingness and have more success at close range.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #108
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 4000

Quote:
Originally Posted by klion22 View Post
Floyd's legs have really slowed down. That's the biggest factor in this fight imo. Floyd of 2009 wins via ud as he still had explosive legs and cat like reflexes. How many leaping left hooks did we see him throw against Cotto? I can't recall one. That along with his lead right was his bread and butter. Floyd has been a much more stationary fight for years. I think sometimes by choice but sometimes it's because his legs have really slowed.

Sergio will have about 15 lbs on Floyd. Floyd can't hurt Sergio and we all know Sergio can seriously hurt Floyd. With Floyd being a lot more stationary, i just envision a fight with a lot of exchanges and it's not in Floyd's best interest to do so. In some respects, he will be a sitting duck, no longer able to quickly dart out of danger.

But this fight isn't happening cause Floyd would get ktfo.
Tbh, I am worried about Floyd's legs and my theory about this fight is assuming a top level of Floyd shows up. He didn't look so goo vs Cotto, but I think that had a lot to do with Cotto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thawk888 View Post
Thx for the thread bball, you flomo.
no problem. I got tired these past few days and thought the forum was turning into trash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance_Uppercut View Post
You cannot be serious, Chavez a tougher fight for Floyd than Martinez? Floyd would pick Chavez apart and win in a stinker. Martinez' strength, unorthadox style/stance, and speed would make a much tougher fight IMHO. Especially with the more stationary style of fighting Floyd has today. Floyd would have some difficulty with Martinez' speed, seeing as he has not fought many guys who have been able to match his speed, as well as his reflexes, which Martinez certainly can match. I'm sure Martinez would get tagged some, but Floyd isn't the hard hitter he once was, and is too economical with this punches to win a fight based on accumilation. I think Martinez would let his hands fly often vs. Floyd. I don't think he'd respect floyd's punch, or willingness to engage. Best way to beat Floyd it to make it a brawl, make Floyd fight out of his comfort zone. I think Martinez posses well enough skill, along with this other attributes I mentioned, to make this happen. But of course, as others have already said. I doubt it will happen. Only two guys for Floyd to fight, that's Pac or Martinez. If he won't fight either, he might as well call it a day. Beating Canelo still means little, since Canelo is STILL YET to face a top contender in his class.
I think Chavez being 180 pounds would just be way too big for Floyd and would just bulldoze him and give him absolutely no respect. Skills pay the bills, but there's just so much they can do to overcome a size advantage like that.

A big reason I picked Chavez being tougher was because I was comparing Floyd fighting Chavez at 160 against Sergio at 154.
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #109
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 239

The footspeed argument is a major factor and Martinez defiantly has faster legs if they were to fight now. Floyd will not be hard to find. Combine that with Sergio's longer reach and an ability to land solid shots from outside without getting countered and it doesn't look to favourably for Floyd.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #110
Lance_Uppercut
ESKIMO
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballchump11 View Post
I think Chavez being 180 pounds would just be way too big for Floyd and would just bulldoze him and give him absolutely no respect. Skills pay the bills, but there's just so much they can do to overcome a size advantage like that.

A big reason I picked Chavez being tougher was because I was comparing Floyd fighting Chavez at 160 against Sergio at 154.
I can see your point, but I think Chavez would be too slow, and give too large a target. Not to mention, as good as Chavez is, he's several levels below Floyd in terms of skills. Floyd intelligence in the ring is about a million times more then what Chavez posesses. I see Floyd winning a snoozer vs. Chavez, with maybe a few moments that awaken the crown. Jr. would need to learn how to cut the ring effectively, and hope Floyd lays against the rope or in the corner. Anywhere near the middle, and it's all Floyd. And unless Martinez is completely drained at 154, I think he beats Floyd at either weight.
Lance_Uppercut is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #111
thawk888
Champion
East Side Guru

I think a lot who think Martinez is as fast as Floyd are a bit jaded, due to seeing Sergio fight the comp he's fought over these last 3 years. None of his opponents @ mw have been particularly fast. That's why I'm very interested to see him fight at 154 again, to gauge how he looks.
thawk888 is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #112
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

Martinez moves faster than Floyd , he could be in the ring by himself and it would be as clear as day.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #113
klion22
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 7111

Sergio would show zero respect for Floyd's power. I mean why would he? Sergio is a mw and Floyd is a ww. He would have about 15 lbs on Floyd. And Sergio has good power as a mw and Floyd has avg power for a ww. And the disparity in skill level isn't great enough for Floyd to compensate for the difference in size. What can Floyd do to keep Sergio off of him? His legs are nearing the end and he simply can't move like he used too.
klion22 is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #114
thawk888
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
Martinez moves faster than Floyd , he could be in the ring by himself and it would be as clear as day.
This isn't a sprinting or bike riding contest. But you keep up with that opinion sir.
thawk888 is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #115
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

What a stupid post.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #116
thawk888
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by klion22 View Post
Sergio would show zero respect for Floyd's power. I mean why would he? Sergio is a mw and Floyd is a ww. He would have about 15 lbs on Floyd. And Sergio has good power as a mw and Floyd has avg power for a ww. And the disparity in skill level isn't great enough for Floyd to compensate for the difference in size. What can Floyd do to keep Sergio off of him? His legs are nearing the end and he simply can't move like he used too.
Almost everything you mentioned doesn't gel with Martinez's style. He's a mid to long range boxer/puncher who flurries and moves. The only place where Floyd would have to deal with the strength advantage from Martinez, is in the punches themselves. This "bullying" Sergio doesn't exist.
thawk888 is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #117
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Good analysis. Tho I think Floyd is the more skillful fighter he met his match with someone that has the same athleticism and also a high ring IQ.

The punches that were meaningful by Barker, Macklin, and Chavez Jr were very, very few tho Chavez Jr's was a wallop that should of dropped most 160lbers. It dazed Sergio and took some more before finally falling. Floyd has power, but not that type. He wouldnt rush the ko he'd dissect Sergio, force Sergio to come forward.

Basically it comes down to who wins the battle of the jabs. Sergios busier, more consistent or Floyds more precise? His right hand lead would be a huge factor. It would similar to Marquez-Pacman but judges might give it to Sergio based on activity tho Floyds best performance might be a controversial decision loss to Sergio. Its the most competitive fight out there today. Floyd I think is a strong 154lber now and Sergio is a natural 154lber good enough to be the best 160lber as well. If the fight did happen at a catchweight below 154 say 150 on an older fighter like Sergio that takes its toll and Floyd might do to him what Ward did to Dawson or another one sided UD win for Floyd.
elchivito is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #118
thawk888
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
What a stupid post.
Your whole argument is predicated on your opinion that Martinez is faster from point A to B, than Floyd. You have nothing to substantiate this claim, other than your opinion. If Martinez is faster than Floyd, he shouldn't have been getting hit by the jab of Barker repeatedly.

Do you have anything else to add?
thawk888 is offline  Top
Old 10-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #119
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

You didn't read my previous posts. You just listen to yourself.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #120
Leon
The Artful Dodger
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchivito View Post
Good analysis. Tho I think Floyd is the more skillful fighter he met his match with someone that has the same athleticism and also a high ring IQ.

The punches that were meaningful by Barker, Macklin, and Chavez Jr were very, very few tho Chavez Jr's was a wallop that should of dropped most 160lbers. It dazed Sergio and took some more before finally falling. Floyd has power, but not that type. He wouldnt rush the ko he'd dissect Sergio, force Sergio to come forward.

Basically it comes down to who wins the battle of the jabs. Sergios busier, more consistent or Floyds more precise? His right hand lead would be a huge factor. It would similar to Marquez-Pacman but judges might give it to Sergio based on activity tho Floyds best performance might be a controversial decision loss to Sergio. Its the most competitive fight out there today. Floyd I think is a strong 154lber now and Sergio is a natural 154lber good enough to be the best 160lber as well. If the fight did happen at a catchweight below 154 say 150 on an older fighter like Sergio that takes its toll and Floyd might do to him what Ward did to Dawson or another one sided UD win for Floyd.
I don't think Floyd would stop Sergio.

It'll go to Floyd if it's a close fight imo. Floyd has consistently been the draw between them plus people tend to sympathize with the little kid who is fighting a big kid
Leon is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum