boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
whipsy
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Campbelltown, Aus
Posts: 2,626
vCash: 500
Default Amateur boxing: headguards removed for men but not women!

The International Amateur Boxing Association has confirmed that headguards will be removed from men's amateur boxing but not for women.

Headguards were first introduced into competition in 1984 but will be removed again for October's World Amateur Boxing Championships in Kazakhstan.

The decision was based on two separate studies which put forward evidence that the removal will decrease concussions.

Women and male boxers below senior level will continue to wear headguards.
whipsy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2013, 01:47 AM   #2
Bwgcolman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 317
vCash: 500
Default Re: Amateur boxing: headguards removed for men but not women!

Word is that it's going to be optional for elite boxers competing in Australia whether or not they wear headgear, but it won't be worn in international competition.
London 2012 was suppose to be the last international tournament that elite boxers wore headgear in.

AIBA seems to be going more the way of pro boxing, with the headgear and supposed dumping of the computer scoring system for pro style scoring.
Bwgcolman is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:52 AM   #3
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,247
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Amateur boxing: headguards removed for men but not women!

On a side note I had a head guard on yesterday ( first time in 30 years ) lol how the **** can anyone spar in one of these ?
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:54 AM   #4
whopperdong
"sorry dan, im the man"
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Irnbru "just cuts" woman - "geale wins on points - ud"
Posts: 1,822
vCash: 397
Default Re: Amateur boxing: headguards removed for men but not women!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipsy View Post
The International Amateur Boxing Association has confirmed that headguards will be removed from men's amateur boxing but not for women.

Headguards were first introduced into competition in 1984 but will be removed again for October's World Amateur Boxing Championships in Kazakhstan.

The decision was based on two separate studies which put forward evidence that the removal will decrease concussions.

Women and male boxers below senior level will continue to wear headguards.
Strange that they state it will reduce concussion then add that woman and juniors will continue to wear them.
whopperdong is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:45 AM   #5
Sox
Hangin with the real deal
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rural OZ
Posts: 5,449
vCash: 1044
Default Re: Amateur boxing: headguards removed for men but not women!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whopperdong View Post
Strange that they state it will reduce concussion then add that woman and juniors will continue to wear them.
Their reasoning is likely to do with women and juniors not hitting as hard as male adults.
Sox is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:43 AM   #6
Bwgcolman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 317
vCash: 500
Default Re: Amateur boxing: headguards removed for men but not women!

It will make the fighters more visible to the viewers, as it is hard to recognise a fighter in headgear and it will be more exciting to watch as there should be more knockouts. It seems to me the long term plan of AIBA has more to do with financial gains and producing boxers for their professional arm, rather than what any health studies say.
Bwgcolman is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:07 AM   #7
Nigelbro
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 298
vCash: 2524
Default Re: Amateur boxing: headguards removed for men but not women!

Do you think the sound of glove/glove and glove/headgear are very similar to the casual observer?
With the scoring changes to pro style, combos will count because they hurt so do you think this is also related to the removal of headgear? The fighter will have to do enough to win consecutive rounds not necessarily rely on single counters or jabs to even the score
Nigelbro is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:20 AM   #8
fast hands
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,353
vCash: 1296
Default Re: Amateur boxing: headguards removed for men but not women!

Nice work by the boyos Josey.
30-3 was a massive win.
fast hands is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:50 AM   #9
fast hands
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,353
vCash: 1296
Default Re: Amateur boxing: headguards removed for men but not women!

The pro scoring system will influence fighting styles more than whether a boxer is wearing headgear or not.

Will be interesting to see how many senior boxers still use headgear when the optional rule applies.

The so called "studies" gave AIBA the answer they wanted to hear.

Headguards were introduced to protect the boxers. Wonder if anyone from AIBA bothered to ask them ?
fast hands is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #10
The Spider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Amateur boxing: headguards removed for men but not women!

Body punching was a waste of time under the amateur scoring system. How many points did you see fighters get awarded for body shots? It was a waste of effort aiming anywhere but the head.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #11
Bwgcolman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 317
vCash: 500
Default Re: Amateur boxing: headguards removed for men but not women!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
Body punching was a waste of time under the amateur scoring system. How many points did you see fighters get awarded for body shots? It was a waste of effort aiming anywhere but the head.
That's true, but I don't think that was the objective of the scoring system, rather it was a case of ineffective judges. How many times have you been to an amateur show and seen the wrong fighter awarded the decision because of incompetent judges. Not just in Australia but it happened at the last Olympics aswell.
The state amateur boxing bodies really need to look at the quality of their judges and put steps in place to train them to an acceptable standard or better they could actively recruit former amateur fighters and train them up.
Although the issue of incompetent judges isn't just isolated to the amateurs, as Australia has its fair share of incompetent pro judges, just watch the scores on any Aussie fight card.
Bwgcolman is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #12
The Spider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Amateur boxing: headguards removed for men but not women!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwgcolman View Post
That's true, but I don't think that was the objective of the scoring system, rather it was a case of ineffective judges. How many times have you been to an amateur show and seen the wrong fighter awarded the decision because of incompetent judges. Not just in Australia but it happened at the last Olympics aswell.
The state amateur boxing bodies really need to look at the quality of their judges and put steps in place to train them to an acceptable standard or better they could actively recruit former amateur fighters and train them up.
Although the issue of incompetent judges isn't just isolated to the amateurs, as Australia has its fair share of incompetent pro judges, just watch the scores on any Aussie fight card.
The problem was far bigger than just body shots not scoring, but it was an annoying byproduct of the system none the less.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #13
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,247
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Amateur boxing: headguards removed for men but not women!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast hands View Post
Nice work by the boyos Josey.
30-3 was a massive win.
Thanks Fasty mate , My town went ballistic you will probably get to see a few of our boys down under later in the year .
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:07 AM   #14
fast hands
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,353
vCash: 1296
Default Re: Amateur boxing: headguards removed for men but not women!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSEY WALES View Post
Thanks Fasty mate , My town went ballistic you will probably get to see a few of our boys down under later in the year .

Looking forward to it Josey. Should be plenty of red jerseys in the squad.
fast hands is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:07 AM   #15
briggzy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
Default Re: Amateur boxing: headguards removed for men but not women!

Looks like will have more fighters punch drunk, no need to punish yourself if your making no money from it
briggzy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015