Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Can you name at least 5 fighters from 160-175 who you will favor over Roy Jones
Yes I can 4 50.00%
Nah, I can't name at least 5. Roy was that good from 160-175 4 50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
Skittlez
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Can you name at least 5 fighters from 160-175 history that you will favor over RJJ?

at 175
1-Mike Spinks
Spinks was pretty big, 6'3 (around Dawson's height) but much more powerful then Dawson ever was. He's not going to get dragged into a fight where he's following Roy around and letting Roy's reflexes along with Roy's speed come into play at all. Spinks had an unorthodox way of moving and will use his great jab to deadly effect.
One thing Mike Spinks did very well at LHW was this 1x 2x 3x of his left hand. Single Double Triple Quadraple consecutive barrages. It was sickening and really does disturb any momentum his opponents attempt to build.
That is something that could very well catch Roy off guard, which will certainly lead into something big
Spinks was also a very rangy fighter, which might counter Roy's amazing speed and his movement.
Despite what the 'glass jaw' trolls insist, Roy actually had a decent chin at 168-175. The issue is I feel at 175 you need a GREAT chin to survive the Jinx for 12 rounds.

Everything from Spink's height, his range, his jabs, and his unorthodox boxing methods will eventually lead to Spinks landing the most brutal knock out possible.

I really really see Spinks hurting Roy Jones Jr so bad, man so bad. Like I think there is a good chance Roy would have been hurt real bad.

If Spinx hit Roy flush (and he will) it will make Tarver's punch feel like a love tap.

2- 175
Bob Foster

3- 175
Michael Moorer.

4- 175
Archie Moore.

5- 175
Ezard Charles.

6- 160
Marvin Hagler. I see an embarrassing KO from this one. Roy might have been laid out cold. Convulsing. Not as bad as what Spinks would do to him at 175 though, but pretty damn bad. Probably need medics.
Skittlez is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
treeve
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: Can you name at least 5 fighters from 160-175 history that you will favor over RJ

Bob Fitzsimmons
treeve is online now  Top
Old 10-04-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
moneypaysbills
That's Mr moneypaysbills
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Can you name at least 5 fighters from 160-175 history that you will favor over RJ

Glen Johnson?

moneypaysbills is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
prelude
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I can only think of three

Antonio Tarver, Glen Johnson, Joe Calzaghe
prelude is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2012, 07:24 AM   #5
NOTINDAFACE
No Me Se Rajar
ESB Senior Member

Monzon, Calzaghe and Hagler
NOTINDAFACE is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

160:
Hagler
Nunn
I think McCallum would have a good shot
ko artists like Jackson and McClellan would have a punchers chance

168:
Nunn
general zod is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #7
Rooboys
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

at 175 plenty of fighters spinks, moore, foster. at 160-168 no one at his peak i think he was just to quick for anyone
Rooboys is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #8
D4thincarnation
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I can name 10

Gene Tunney:
The Fighting Marine, maybe the best light-heavy ever, beat the Heavyweight Champ Jack Dempsey Twice, only ever lost 1 fight, on a decision.

Archie Moore:
The Old Mongoose, one of the first to use the shoulder roll, huge power stopped a lot of heavyweights and no other boxer has had as many KOs as him

Harry Greb:
The Human Windmill, never stopped punching never got out your face, would hit you with fists, elbow and head, one tough S.O.B.

Sugar Ray Robinson:
Considered the greatest boxer ever by many, SRR had it all, fast hand, footwork, power, chin, heart, he has many HOFs on his record.

Carlos Monzon:
They say the way to beat speed is to have a good jab, they were too many that had better than Monzon, granite chin and would walk you down and make you pay.

Marvin Hagler:
Much like Monzon Hagler just kept on coming forward, but had more intensity but didn't have the jab of Monzon.

Ezzard Charles:
The Cincinnati Cobra, slick and skillful, threw accurate punches and had great defensive skill and had to move up to heavyweight to get titles shot.

Bob Fitzsimmons:
RJJ emulated him by winning the middleweight and heavyweight title but unlike Roy, Bob beat the man rather than a paper champion.

Michael Spinks:
Considered by many to be the one of the greatest light-heavies of all time a pure boxer with great technical skills handed Holmes his first defeat and stopped him equaling Marciano's record.

Dwight Muhammad Qawi:
Only started boxing at 25, stood only 5 ft 5 in but was a natural and had great slick skills took Holyfield to a SD over 15 rounds.

And 5 more

Billy Conn

Bob Foster

Floyd Patterson

And of cousre

Joe Calzaghe
D4thincarnation is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum