Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-01-2008, 11:55 AM   #91
Woddy

vCash:
Default Re: Who would you expect to beat Joe Louis at his absolute peak ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab
Actually, it is possible to know a bit about the mafia outside of America. I've read a ton of books about Cosa Nostra and its history. (We have hot running water, toasters and television sets out here in England too.)

I know that New Jersey fighters such as Jersey Joe Walcott were mafia-connected, and it would surprise me if Galento was NOT connected.
In fact, most fighters on the east coast in the 30s through to the late 50s were managed by mob-connected persons. Joe Louis wasn't exactly clean himself.

Tony Galento "fouled to victory" often, yes. But so did Fritzie Zivic, Gene Fullmer, and others.
Yes, boxing is corrupt. Yes, fights are fixed, even now we can often see whose side the referees are on. And it was worse in the 30s.

Galento was obviously a dangerous brawler, tough with a hard punch. That makes him somewhat "legitimate". No one thinks he was a great fighter, far from it, so I dont see why efforts are being made to downgrade him even further. He was what he was, and a mafia conspiracy cant explain away the fact that he was actually a dangerous fighter. If you want to dismiss all mob-connected fighters as not legitimate, then I guess everyone from the era should be ignored.
1. Just because I felt that Galento was illegitimate does not mean that EVERYONE should be ignored.

2. I know there are things like books, television, internet service, electricity, and in door plumbing in England. No need to get sarcastic on these points. The only thing I find frustrating is when people on this forum, particularly folks frpm England, try act as if they know more about our history as Americans than we do. I find it offensive actually. You won't here me talking about Jack the Ripper or the Crey brothers as if they were my next door neighbors. I just wish the hell people would leave certain things alone.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2008, 12:10 PM   #92
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woddy
1. Just because I felt that Galento was illegitimate does not mean that EVERYONE should be ignored.

2. I know there are things like books, television, internet service, electricity, and in door plumbing in England. No need to get sarcastic on these points. The only thing I find frustrating is when people on this forum, particularly folks frpm England, try act as if they know more about our history as Americans than we do. I find it offensive actually. You won't here me talking about Jack the Ripper or the Crey brothers as if they were my next door neighbors. I just wish the hell people would leave certain things alone.
What's your point ?
Because I'm not American I cant know anything about American history ? That's bullshit.
I bet there are thousands of Americans who know more about Jack the Ripper than I do and they've never even been to London. In fact, there are experts on English history in America, and experts on American history in England. That's not offensive to me. That's just the way it is. If I want to know something I'll go find out about it. I dont feel a need to know more about English stuff than non-English people might know.

Are you trying to tell me that every American knows more about cosa nostra than a English person could know, simply because they are American ?
All Americans have first-hand knowledge of the mob ?

I never claimed to know anything UNTIL YOU MADE ASSUMPTIONS BASED ON WHERE I LIVE.
And you say I'm "offending" YOU by acting as if I know more about American history than you know.
I never did any such thing. You were the one who made claims about what I DONT know, based on where I live.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:43 PM   #93
Woddy

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab
What's your point ?
Because I'm not American I cant know anything about American history ? That's bullshit.
I bet there are thousands of Americans who know more about Jack the Ripper than I do and they've never even been to London. In fact, there are experts on English history in America, and experts on American history in England. That's not offensive to me. That's just the way it is. If I want to know something I'll go find out about it. I dont feel a need to know more about English stuff than non-English people might know.

Are you trying to tell me that every American knows more about cosa nostra than a English person could know, simply because they are American ?
All Americans have first-hand knowledge of the mob ?

I never claimed to know anything UNTIL YOU MADE ASSUMPTIONS BASED ON WHERE I LIVE.
And you say I'm "offending" YOU by acting as if I know more about American history than you know.
I never did any such thing. You were the one who made claims about what I DONT know, based on where I live.
You're right. That was an ignorant post on my part.

Sorry,
Old 02-01-2008, 01:15 PM   #94
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woddy
You're right. That was an ignorant post on my part.

Sorry,

No worries
Thanks for the apology (a rarity on this board).

Back on the topic of Tony Galento, I think Mendoza made some good points, as you do, but all I'm saying is that this was a rough, tough, nasty, hard-hitting guy and it's not really surprising that in an era when fighters were fighting so often that a guy like that can string together some good brutal wins for a certain period of time and acquire a rating.

Yes, he was a lazy, unconditioned bum, but he was just naturally rough and tough too.

The mob's influence in boxing may or may not be significant to Galento's career in particular, but I still say the whole era and most fighters are tainted by the crooks. (In fact, even nowadays corruption dictates a lot of stuff in boxing.) But that's a much wider issue.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum