Poor ticket sales?
I Shot JR is online now  Top
Old 10-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Clev fighting in LA on Nov 10th

Must have been poor tickets. Lets hope showtime adminiater some quality control with the oppo

Gavin vs Witter is now November 1st
Ovil vs Enzo is Nov 9th
Jonsey is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #6
bam bam
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Article Link - [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to ***********.com or provide a link to the original article.

WBO World Light-Heavyweight Champion Nathan Cleverly will live the American dream when he defends his world title at the Staples Center in Los Angeles on Saturday 10th November.

The Welsh star features on a big Golden Boy Promotions card alongside the WBC World Super-Bantamweight Champion Abner Mares plus the IBF World Bantamweight Champion Leo Santa Cruz.

Cleverly’s title defence and the whole show will be televised live and exclusive on the Home of TV Boxing BoxNation (Sky Ch. 437/Virgin Ch. 546).

Cleverly, 25, was due to defend his title at Cardiff’s Motorpoint Arena on Saturday 27th October (please see below), but when promoter Frank ****** told his young star about the offer of a career enhancing opportunity of breaking the America market, Cleverly jumped at the chance.

He has already had a taste of the American experience when he fought on the undercard of Joe Calzaghe’s clash against Bernard Hopkins in Las Vegas in April 2008 and beat Antonio Baker on points.

With his challenger to be confirmed shortly, Cleverly is excited to be heading across the Atlantic, but said he won’t be overawed by the task.

“At only 25 it’s a dream come true to defend my world title in America on such a big show and it takes my career to a whole new level, it’s a golden opportunity to make a big statement that I’m the leading man in the light-heavyweight division,” said Cleverly.

“It will be exciting and challenging to get the recognition of the American fans and media and prove to them that I’m the real thing. Of course, I love fighting and headlining in front of my Cardiff home fans, but this shows that I’m not scared to leave my home comforts and risk my title by putting it on the line in another country, that’s what being a world champion is all about, I relish the challenge,”

“It’s a big test in my career, but I’m ready and won’t be overawed. I think that this will give my performance a sharper edge because I’m not at home and the pressure to perform will be on me,”

With three defences of his title under his belt, including a thrashing of Liverpool rival Tony Bellew last October and a commanding performance over Tommy Karpency in February this year, Cleverly will be looking at the elite in the division next year like Beibut Shumenov and Tavoris Cloud.

He added, “I’m in this business to prove that I’m at the best at the weight, I’ve achieved that over here by winning the British, Commonwealth and European titles and my aim is to unify all the world titles by beating all the champions out there,”

“I took Tony Bellew to school over the distance, he was my closest rival over here when we fought last year and I’ve left the likes of him far behind now. Shumenov and Cloud are the names that I’m looking to face next year and that excites me.”

“We’ve been trying hard to get Shumenov and Cloud to come over here and fight me but they’ve been reluctant to make the trip, so if they won’t come to me I’ll go over there and fight them. I’ll go to their own territory and embarrass them into facing me.”

Hall of Frame Promoter Frank ****** said, “I’m delighted that Nathan has got the opportunity to showcase his talent in America at this stage of his career. He’s eager to show the American fans what he’s made of and a win will set up big unification fights next year.”
bam bam is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
I Shot JR
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam bam View Post
Article Link - [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to ***********.com or provide a link to the original article.

WBO World Light-Heavyweight Champion Nathan Cleverly will live the American dream when he defends his world title at the Staples Center in Los Angeles on Saturday 10th November.

The Welsh star features on a big Golden Boy Promotions card alongside the WBC World Super-Bantamweight Champion Abner Mares plus the IBF World Bantamweight Champion Leo Santa Cruz.

Cleverlys title defence and the whole show will be televised live and exclusive on the Home of TV Boxing BoxNation (Sky Ch. 437/Virgin Ch. 546).

Cleverly, 25, was due to defend his title at Cardiffs Motorpoint Arena on Saturday 27th October (please see below), but when promoter Frank ****** told his young star about the offer of a career enhancing opportunity of breaking the America market, Cleverly jumped at the chance.

He has already had a taste of the American experience when he fought on the undercard of Joe Calzaghes clash against Bernard Hopkins in Las Vegas in April 2008 and beat Antonio Baker on points.

With his challenger to be confirmed shortly, Cleverly is excited to be heading across the Atlantic, but said he wont be overawed by the task.

At only 25 its a dream come true to defend my world title in America on such a big show and it takes my career to a whole new level, its a golden opportunity to make a big statement that Im the leading man in the light-heavyweight division, said Cleverly.

It will be exciting and challenging to get the recognition of the American fans and media and prove to them that Im the real thing. Of course, I love fighting and headlining in front of my Cardiff home fans, but this shows that Im not scared to leave my home comforts and risk my title by putting it on the line in another country, thats what being a world champion is all about, I relish the challenge,

Its a big test in my career, but Im ready and wont be overawed. I think that this will give my performance a sharper edge because Im not at home and the pressure to perform will be on me,

With three defences of his title under his belt, including a thrashing of Liverpool rival Tony Bellew last October and a commanding performance over Tommy Karpency in February this year, Cleverly will be looking at the elite in the division next year like Beibut Shumenov and Tavoris Cloud.

He added, Im in this business to prove that Im at the best at the weight, Ive achieved that over here by winning the British, Commonwealth and European titles and my aim is to unify all the world titles by beating all the champions out there,

I took Tony Bellew to school over the distance, he was my closest rival over here when we fought last year and Ive left the likes of him far behind now. Shumenov and Cloud are the names that Im looking to face next year and that excites me.

Weve been trying hard to get Shumenov and Cloud to come over here and fight me but theyve been reluctant to make the trip, so if they wont come to me Ill go over there and fight them. Ill go to their own territory and embarrass them into facing me.

Hall of Frame Promoter Frank ****** said, Im delighted that Nathan has got the opportunity to showcase his talent in America at this stage of his career. Hes eager to show the American fans what hes made of and a win will set up big unification fights next year.
"Living the American Dream". Will the opponent be better than Peter Ustinov?
Old 10-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
Smoggy7188
Belt holder
ESB Addict

"including a thrashing of Liverpool rival Tony Bellew last October", is wazza writing the articles these days?
Smoggy7188 is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #9
Dean
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

So, he has basically said to his fans, hey **** u guys! Im of to LA baby yeahhh!!!

Seriously though, I hope he gets a good opponent and does well.

Last edited by Dean; 10-05-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Dean is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
I Shot JR
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The opponent for this will be awful- interesting that Frank is running less and less domestic cards for Boxnation.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
Decy
Barely Coherent
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Seriously though, I hope he gets a good opponent and does well.
He wont.
Decy is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #12
Sly
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Hilarious. The paper champ can't sell tickets in his home country, so sods off to America and labels it 'The American Dream'...tut, tut.
Sly is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #13
Smoggy7188
Belt holder
ESB Addict

"Nathan can only defend against fighters listed by WBO. Sadly some don’t appeal at the box office. " Ticket sales me thinks.
Smoggy7188 is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #14
cutthroat22

vCash: 213

If he fights some bum then it's almost pointless him fighting in the states because nobody will give a flying ****. I'm starting to lose interest myself. Decent name and I'll watch, bum and I won't bother.
cutthroat22 is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #15
The Genius
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly View Post
Hilarious. The paper champ can't sell tickets in his home country, so sods off to America and labels it 'The American Dream'...tut, tut.
He sold out the place against Karpency.
The Genius is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum