Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: If you were Joe Calzaghe will you come out of retirement to fight Ward
Yes 78 19.40%
no 324 80.60%
Voters: 402. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #256
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Mkrtchyan beat undefeated 26-0 European champ Chanet, was only beaten clearly by world champs or fighters who became world champs and remember Chanet who Mkrtchyan beat undefeated Tsypko who many felt beat Lacy and the same Tsypko who has a win over Magee who is challenging Kessler next for the vacant WBA regular title. Theres the form line in amongst some nothing wins
lol at Failey
general zod is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #257
HerolGee
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Quote:
Good away win for Calzaghe
see what I mean? just switch the meaning of the word for one of opposite/close to opposite meaning, and Bailey suddenly makes sense

good = poor

away = home

win = scrape

'poor home scrape for Calzaghe'

though in Fail's defence, the result was relatively very 'good' for someone whose other six defences around it were against shit opponents.
HerolGee is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 10:38 PM   #258
Skittlez
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerolGee View Post
see what I mean? just switch the meaning of the word for one of opposite/close to opposite meaning, and Bailey suddenly makes sense

good = poor

away = home

win = scrape

'poor home scrape for Calzaghe'

though in Fail's defence, the result was relatively very 'good' for someone whose other six defences around it were against shit opponents.
What do you think of the Jeff Lacy win?

Didn't you say it was a shit win?
Skittlez is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 04:52 AM   #259
MAJR
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 804

Quote:
Originally Posted by general zod View Post
Elite
Mayweather, Jones, McCallum
World Class
Dawson, Tarver, R.Johnson
Championship level
Woods, Glen Johnson
Contender
Rahman
Fringe contender
Allan Green, Gonzalez, Malinga

Watson was solid, but I would place him at championship level. About the same as lhw Glen Johnson
He beat Benn, gave Eubank two tough fights and performed well against McCallum while McCallum gave one of his best performances ever. Given that I think it is hard to justify eliminating him as one of the top fighters of his era in favor of Graham or Littles considering he did no worse than either of them in his professional career.

Quote:
Who did he beat worth mentioning?
He was around fringe contender level. Benn had no business getting outboxed by him
Robin Reid in 1997 when Reid was undefeated and the WBC World Champion and Nigel Benn.

Quote:
Championship level to World class level depending on your criteria. He did beat McClellan but at the same time he was outboxed by Malinga. Malinga should have TWO wins over him.

Edit: I will give you Benn, but that is really about it.
Since you've given me Benn in a later edit I wont justify this.

Quote:
Holmes was at the end of his career. He went something like 1-3 in his last 4 fights. I can't see how that can be classed as a win worth mentioning
I'll concede this.

Quote:
I would place these guys around championship level.
Graciano and Collins were tough, but limited fighters. Calzaghe was a green contender when Eubank fought him and struggled with guys like Reid in his prime.
Rocchigiani was also an undefeated former world champion when Eubank went to Rocchigiani's backyard to fight him, and would go on to capture a world title in another weight class. Its still an impressive win for Eubank over a dangerous opponent proven at the world level.

Collins had given McCallum, R. Johnson and Kalambey difficult fights only to be out-pointed. He beat Eubank and Benn and certainly did not have any less success than Graham or Littles.

Calzaghe was a rising Super Middleweight and Eubank was on decline. Not every fighter reaching the end of his career would get in the ring with a younger, hungry fighter looking to take on the world - Calzaghe certainly didn't when Dawson was on the rise - so regardless of how green Calzaghe may have been I think his fight with Eubank still has to count against the idea of Eubank avoiding people.

Quote:
What made him world class?
What didn't? Didn't Thompson hold a World title? Or are you going with the "WBO is worth jack" philosophy? In my opinion if you reach the world level, if you capture a world title or have numerous fights for a world title or with world champions then you are world class, but I will add that there are tiers in the world class category which, in a grading system would be A+, A, A-, B+, B and B-, and Thompson would be a B-level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by general zod View Post
The guys you mentioned are overall nowhere near as good as the guys I listed, which included ATG's and Hofers.

Graham was a top fighter back in that day and gave McCallum one of his toughest fights at mw. He really deserves to have a win over Kalambay. The Ayub Kalale win is a solid win.
Graham was, undoubtedly, a excellent boxer, one of the best ever technically, I dont deny that and have never made any attempt to deny that. But to include him in a list of top fighters without including Benn, Watson or Collins when they had a similar or greater level of success than he did is doing them a disservice. Graham was a World Class fighters but there is no way he can be put above Benn or Eubank as a top fighter of his era when he never beat another top fighter of his era.

Quote:
Littles was a decorated amateur, with a win over Jones.
He was a successful and decorated amateur? So what? That means jack when it comes to the professional scene. Audley Harrison was a successful and decorated amatuer and he's a flop as a pro, and he's not an anomoly, many former amatuers fail as pros. So I am not convinced by Littles' amateur record that he was a great pro-boxer when his only win of note is against Liles - a fighter who out-classed him three times in the amateurs and who would outclassed him again in the pros in the rematch and in his pro-career in general.
MAJR is online now  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #260
HerolGee
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittlez View Post
What do you think of the Jeff Lacy win?

Didn't you say it was a shit win?
you'll find I said it was a good win. Quote me in future - writing the opposite of what I said is Team Elite teritory, which I am sure you are leagues way better than. cheers.
HerolGee is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 07:00 AM   #261
HerolGee
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Everyone has forgotten how much Ward didnt want to fight Bute and ducked him.
Ward wouldnt want to fight Calzaghe, he is too used to fighting his leftovers and leftovers of
Bailey, tell me how Ward is supposed to avoid fighting people that have fought Calzaghe. Everyone fights leftovers from the previous decade and previous champion, unless they can travel in time lol (which would be fun, pitching 21st century boxers against 19th century hardmen...but its NOT REALITY, Bailo).

Unless Ward LITERALLY travels in time to when before Joe was fighting, or forward to when Joe's leftovers have all retired, how is he supposed to avoid fighting them?

You must expect Andre to go borrow Doc Brown's De Lorean time machine from 'Back to the Future' to travel forward to 2020 in order to avoid Calzaghe's leftovers.

Another legendary point raised by Failey.
HerolGee is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 08:00 AM   #262
booradley
Mean People Kick Ass!
East Side VIP

vCash: 622

If I were Joe, the only way I would consider this is BIG, no Huge money, in Wales, at 175.

If they paid me right, let me fight at home, and did not force me to make 168, I'd consider it.
booradley is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 08:33 AM   #263
Loudon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
General Zod chops and changes his posts to suit. He makes his own rating system and thinks its gospel, like Loudon does and then they cheer each other on.
I could show you posts where Zod has said one thing on one post and then changed it the same week to suit another debate.
You stop taking him seriously very quickly, though he does sometimes provide some good links
Haha!
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #264
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerolGee View Post
Bailey, tell me how Ward is supposed to avoid fighting people that have fought Calzaghe. Everyone fights leftovers from the previous decade and previous champion, unless they can travel in time lol (which would be fun, pitching 21st century boxers against 19th century hardmen...but its NOT REALITY, Bailo).

Unless Ward LITERALLY travels in time to when before Joe was fighting, or forward to when Joe's leftovers have all retired, how is he supposed to avoid fighting them?

You must expect Andre to go borrow Doc Brown's De Lorean time machine from 'Back to the Future' to travel forward to 2020 in order to avoid Calzaghe's leftovers.

Another legendary point raised by Failey.
Are you really this daft Herol? Guess so.
The way Ward could avoid fighting leftovers is by taking on the real challenges like Cleverly who has not been beaten and is being avoided.
A far greater challenge than Pavlik beaten by a former WW and a fighter coming off a loss.
What is Pavliks big win above MW?

Just for the record, Doc Browns time machine isnt real
bailey is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #265
HerolGee
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Are you really this daft Herol? Guess so.
The way Ward could avoid fighting leftovers is by taking on the real challenges like Cleverly who has not been beaten and is being avoided.
A far greater challenge than Pavlik beaten by a former WW and a fighter coming off a loss.
What is Pavliks big win above MW?

Just for the record, Doc Browns time machine isnt real
like the content of your posts. get the irony.

Just dont post the failed arguments again, never mind trying to defend them.
HerolGee is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #266
mitch120

vCash: 1000

people seem to forget calzaghe had ****ed up hands for alot of his career that made him hit alot softer .
mitch120 is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #267
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch120 View Post
people seem to forget calzaghe had ****ed up hands for alot of his career that made him hit alot softer .

The reason the man ****ed up his hands was because of the way he threw punches.

I don't buy into he was that much of a power puncher prior..I mean who did he really KO to have made him such a puncher.
Imperial1 is online now  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #268
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1 View Post
The reason the man ****ed up his hands was because of the way he threw punches.

I don't buy into he was that much of a power puncher prior..I mean who did he really KO to have made him such a puncher.
In 45 fights he never knocked anybody out that couldn't beat the 10 count.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #269
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
In 45 fights he never knocked anybody out that couldn't beat the 10 count.
Calzaghe had hand injuries right back to his junior days because he was so aggressive and threw so many punches, and was told he`d never be able to box professionally, did nt do too bad if you look at his pro KO record. He kicked adversity in the bullocks!

Look anyway im off soon im going to Electric Guru`s Team Elite Welcoming Party, i might just get my foot in the door at such at prestigious event...
DaveyboyEssexUK is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #270
Ted Stickles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If the desire to fight is not there then you cant force yourself to fight .I think his desire left a long time ago. So if i were him i wouldnt unless my heart was in it and could summon the dedication and motivation.
Ted Stickles is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum