Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: If you were Joe Calzaghe will you come out of retirement to fight Ward
Yes 78 19.40%
no 324 80.60%
Voters: 402. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #436
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypaysbills View Post
Wow! just wow!

What a post, the last time I saw General Zod get dismantled like this was when Superman sent him back into the phantom zone. Yet another top post from a top ESB poster.

Salutations

ps: shame that ko artist is wrong on all points
general zod is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #437
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
KOartist- You're just believing want to want to believe. A Calzaghe/Pavlik fight was speculation , much like Martnez/Ward is today.
He entered into the talks but he was never 100% on board, which is why he had Warrren start talks with Jones also. Once Pavlik destroyed Lockett then Calzaghe pulled out of the Pavlik talks altogether.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #438
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
Interesting points, so we know that in 2008 the fight fans wanted was Jones-Calzaghe. Which was duly delivered
Fight fans did not want Calzaghe-Jones, which is why the fight flopped
Quote:
But we do know before that two offers were made to Pavlik which he turned down. Thanks for clearing this up learning new things every day on here
Keep repeating that, maybe you will be able to convince others to believe it as well

Last edited by general zod; 10-28-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #439
MrMagic
Super Six
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

We all know Joe has snorted away all his punch resistence by now too, Ward would likely stop him in embarrassing fashion.

Calzaghe back in the day would be a hell of a matchup against Ward.
MrMagic is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #440
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudon View Post
Hi pal,
So even Frank didn't want the fight with Roy in the end?
I wasn't aware of that.
Warrren never wanted that fight, not only is he on record condemning it but Arum also confirms it here:
Quote:
Arum and Calzaghe's longtime promoter, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], had been in early negotiations. But Arum said a couple of weeks ago that ****** and Calzaghe were at odds as to Calzaghe's final opponent.

****** wanted it to be Pavlik. Calzaghe wanted it to be the much safer Jones, who has not had a meaningful victory since he defeated Antonio Tarver in November 2003. ****** and Calzaghe have since parted ways.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Last edited by general zod; 10-28-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #441
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

Quote:
Thanks for clearing this up learning new things every day on
part 2:
Things go from bad to worse

Pavlik:
Quote:
Pavlik has told 10-year champion Calzaghe he wants to "get it on" but the undisputed super-middleweight wants to fight ageing great Jones Jnr.

Pavliks manager:
Quote:
Dunkin told ESPN.com. "I don't think Calzaghe really wanted anything to do with Kelly. He wants to fight Roy Jones at 175. I don't think he wants to fight a young puncher. I understand that. I don't like it, but he has the right to do it. Calzaghe is a terrific fighter. He's not afraid of anybody, including Kelly Pavlik. It's just business."

Pavliks trainer:
Quote:
But Pavlik's trainer Jack Loew said: "How many more excuses is this guy going to make? If Joe Calzaghe fought Kelly, he'd be in trouble.
"There's no way he'd beat Kelly, he's just a slap-happy Welshman."

Gary Lockett:
Quote:
Calzaghe's stablemate Gary Lockett, trained by Calzaghe's father Enzo, was demolished by Pavlik inside three rounds earlier this month, and Loew admitted: "Jones Jnr is a smarter fight for Calzaghe

Calzaghe's father:
Quote:
Mark Vester Enzo Calzaghe, father/trainer of Joe Calzaghe, said his son will never fight WBC/WBO middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik. He says Pavlik has not earned his right for a bout with Calzaghe and he feels Roy Jones Jr. will be a tougher fight for his son. "At the end of the day it's never going to happen,"
http://www.boxing$cene.com/enzo-calzaghe-kelly-pavlik-fight-never-happen--14649
Change $ to s

Calzaghe:

Quote:
"My intention is to fight Roy Jones Jr, a four-weight world champion fighter," said Calzaghe.
"That would be a special event for me against a legend of the sport.
Calzaghe forgets to mention that Jones is still shot

Last edited by general zod; 10-28-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #442
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

Part 3:
Scrapping the bottom of the barrel

Joe Calzaghe: "I'll Beat Roy Jones Even With Steroids"
Quote:
He says that even if his opponent, Jones or otherwise, took an illegal steroid, he would still beat them.
http://www.boxing$cene.com/joe-calzaghe-ill-beat-roy-jones-even-with-steroids--16040

Quote:
"He had also spent the Jones build-up watching footage of Jones' glory years, when he was at his peak, on You Tube.

"Connor was sobbing 'dad, he is amazing' and I tried to reassure him 'don't worry son, Jones isn't that good anymore.'

So Calzaghe decided to fight a guy he admitted was:

-Shot
-A drugs cheat?

Like I said before he chose the path of least resistance

Last edited by general zod; 10-28-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #443
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

Quote:
Syd Vanderpool? If he beat Lacy and held the IBF title, and Calzaghe didn't fight him then maybe you'd have a point
Quote:
Meanwhile, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] will face Canada's Syd Vanderpool in the third defence of his WBO [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] title at Cardiff Ice Rink on December 5.

Quote:
Joe Calzaghe has withdrawn from the defense of his [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] super-middleweight title against Canada's Syd Vanderpool in Cardiff on December 5 because of an elbow injury.

Quote:
Calzaghe was due to face Vanderpool, known as 'The Jewel', in Las Vegas a few years back, but pulled out of the show because of a recurrence of an elbow injury.
Oscar-Tito undercard

Quote:
But both Simms and Vanderpool are southpaws and the Newbridge man is known to be less than keen on meeting a fellow left-hander if it can be avoided.

Quote:
Syd: Yeah it’s true. I’ve been trying to get a fight with Calzaghe for almost three years now and that chicken keeps running from me. Now he has run away to the light-heavy division. He’s the best example of a protected champion who has built his record exclusively fighting opponents who are past their prime or who are tomato-cans.

You do not miss every single decent southpaw in your career unless you are doing it on purpose.

Last edited by general zod; 10-30-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #444
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

Quote:
Bute himself said he wasn't ready for Calzaghe
Source?

Calzaghe dismissed him from the start
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICcseg9mucc[/ame]

"Bute is not a big enough name"
-Calzaghe

He needed to beat Bute to become the undisputed smw champion. You cannot become undisputed if there is still another champion in your division
Quote:
Beyer,
Quote:
"Chris Meyer is meeting Frank ****** in London," Sauderland told SecondsOut Wednesday.

"We are very interested in this fight for Markus. We have had communications with Sport Network before (regarding Beyer v Calzaghe) but the offers were not acceptable. But hopefully this time we can come to an agreement."
Quote:
"We are very interested in this fight and are happy that England is interested as well," Sauerland said.
"But their current offer is not acceptable. It is not good enough financially and the date coincides with the football World Cup.
Quote:
Liles,
What are you talking about? They shared the same division from 97-99. Liles was a good fighter and we all know how calzaghe felt about fighting good fighters
Quote:
Vanderpool
Calzaghe pulled out of the fight TWICE. The fight was on the table during 02 and he was reported to be not keen on fighting southpaws
Quote:
Tarver and Calzaghe would have fought if Tarver beat Hopkins to retain his LHW title
According to who? If he did not want to fight Pavlik he could of fought Dawson or maybe even Tarver instead of washed up Jones

Last edited by general zod; 10-30-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #445
Joe.Boxer
Chinchecker
ESB Addict

vCash: 240

another week, another bout of Team Elite dealing out epic schoolings to the usual esb minions .
Joe.Boxer is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #446
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Tell me Zod, when Bute said he did not want to fight Calzaghe or Kessler as he didnt feel he was ready for that step up at the time. How did Calzaghe avoid him as you seem to be implying?
Tell me why do you note Vanderpool? What had he done to make you think Calzaghe was avoiding him?
You say Calzaghe waited for just one fighter but look at the names you have put forward in -
Frankie Liles - Calzaghe beat the fighter that KOd and basically ended Liles career

Beyer - Calzaghe beat the fighter that KOd and basically ended Beyers career

Bute - See above, Bute said he wasnt ready and as we know now, never would have been

Dawson - Moved up away from SMW when in line for a shot at Calzaghes title to fight lesser comp and then years later could fight at SMW again . Says it all

Tarver - Calzaghe beat the fighter that schooled Tarver

Vanderpool - Not sure why you bring Vanderpool up but Calzaghe beat the fighter that KOd and basically ended Vanderpools career

Run along now Zod
Welcome to Bailey world

Where beating an orthodox fighter, who beat a southpaw, is the same thing as beating a southpaw

Old 10-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #447
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2666

As there are better things to do like watching football I'll keep this short and simple

There's a reason why you've been laughed at by multiple posters in this thread You lost any credibility when you named Bute as a fighter Joe avoided You really are pissing into the wind now

Lucian Bute

-When Joe left the division, Bute had just won the IBF strap that Joe vacated from Berrio
- Bute at this point, made no effort to call out Calzaghe
- Made no offers to unify
- Never expressed any desire to face Calzaghe when he was active
- In the build up to Bute-Froch, described Calzaghe as 'one of his idols' and stated he wasn't ready to face Joe

Markus Beyer

-Team Calzaghe tried to make the fight in '99 and it was 'impossible' - Not Calzaghe's fault
-What are the financial terms of the offer zod? Do you know?
-Beyer got smashed by Kessler, who Calzaghe defeated
Quote:
"We are very interested in this fight and are happy that England is interested as well," Sauerland said.

"But their current offer is not acceptable. It is not good enough financially and the date coincides with the football World Cup.

"But we are in talks and would love to stage this attractive bout in either September or October."

Sauerland's comments come less than six weeks after he claimed he "would not do any business with Frank ****** any more".

The row started after both managers had repeatedly failed to work out unification fights between Calzaghe and German former WBA/IBF champion Sven Ottke.

Quote:
Sauerland explained: "For all intents we had agreed to the fight for October. Markus was going to go to fight Calzaghe in Britain and we were agreed but then Frank ****** came back and said he could only do it on the 9th September or 16th September because of TV (dates).

"Those dates were impossible for Markus, though, because in his last fight (a four round technical draw against Sakio Bika, May 13) he suffered two very bad cuts : and would not be able to train in time for an early September fight.

Not like zod to get caught out talking about business he doesn't know anything about

Syd Vanderpool

-Lost to Lacy who Calzaghe beat
-Never held a title for a potential unification showdown
-When did Calzaghe state he doesn't want to fight southpaws? Please show me that quote, I'd be interested in seeing it

No argument here either

Antonio Tarver

Quote:
Riding the peak of his powers at age 33, Calzaghe has no concerns about going up in weight to face hard punching light heavyweights like Tarver, who must first get past Bernard Hopkins next month

Although Joe Calzaghe's opponent for his upcoming title defense on July 8 has yet to be announced, the "Pride of Wales" wastes no time in declaring just who he wants to face in the ring later this year. "Antonio Tarver is my main objective,": said the WBO and IBF Super Middleweight Champion. "I'd also love to fight the winner of Winky Wright and Jermain Taylor.

Obviously, come November, if the fights can't be made with Tarver or one of the top middleweights, then maybe we'll go that route.

At the time of this quote, Tarver was preparing for Hopkins, who duly took him apart.

Calzaghe fought and beat Hopkins

Quote:
ďIn your dreams, Antonio, didnít you get destroyed by Hopkins before I beat him? I love how fighters are calling me out three years after I quit. I get it, itís all about money and a payday. The truth is I was fighting the winner of you and Bernard Hopkins and you lost! For the record, I would have kicked your ...!Ē
At the scene

Though this part isn't relevant, I though it's worth adding in

Don't forget one of your favourite fighters had the chance to face Calzaghe with a date set at the Millenium stadium, and turned it down

Quote:
Super middleweight king Joe Calzaghe wants to fight former three-weight world champion James Toney at Cardiff's Millenium Stadium on 8 July.

You realise you're sounding more ridiculous with each post. If you want to continue pissing into the wind and convincing yourself of something that obviously isn't true, then by all means go ahead. I'm sure there's nothing better you'd rather do with your time then sit on google and look up Joe Calzaghe - Have fun!
knockout artist is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #448
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.Boxer View Post
another week, another bout of Team Elite dealing out epic schoolings to the usual esb minions .

knockout artist is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #449
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

vCash: 760

Where has Team Elite been? I haven't seen them much lately.
Mind Reader is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #450
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 239

Team Elite being absolutely taken to school in here with solid undeniable facts being laid out before them.
dinovelvet is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum