Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


View Poll Results: If you were Joe Calzaghe will you come out of retirement to fight Ward
Yes 78 19.40%
no 324 80.60%
Voters: 402. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #526
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: England
Posts: 13,853
vCash: 355
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudon View Post
Part 2.
We're going around in circles. You would have to be an IDIOT to think that he wasn't talking about millions.
Quote:
Maybe he would have accepted 300K?
Quote:
Ha! More than 300K!
How many more times
You dont know
Quote:
Yes it's only my opinion, that he could have beaten DM. But that was an avenue he could have explored to get Roy in the ring. It's you who believes Joe, when he says that he chased him for 5 to six years.
DM wasnt an avenue that Jones explored and they were in the same division and DM the rightful champ, so that could have been a pointless exercise in losing a title you have defended and where you are making a legacy to pursue another fight you may not get.
Good job he didnt do that as we wouldnt be talking about the best SMW ever now
Quote:
We've got a credible link of Joe saying "I'm not chasing Roy Jones. Roy Jones is a good fighter, but I don't want tough fights, I just want to be well paid!"
It was there in black and white, and still you try to fight his corner.
And I have video footage where he says he is. Video footage seems more genuine than a link.
You believe something written but dont believe a video link.
I think you are just very butthurt that Calzaghe beat Hopkins and Jones and a bit bothered by it as well as the fact they didnt want to face him when prime
Links have shown several different years and times
Quote:
The method he used, was to fight in America, up at 175.
Something Calzaghe agreed to do.
You cant give a sensible answer for Jones calling out Grant at all because Calzaghe agreed to those stipulations and you know that.
So why deny that
Quote:
Joe didn't want to fight at 175 or in America. He didn't do either til 2008.
Are you denying that Hopkins pulled out or that Calzaghe agreed to fight in America for those fights.
Yes or no, because you are avoiding my questions to the point of further humiliation to yourself
Quote:
No but to get Roy in the ring, what were his options?

He either had to continue to fight at 168 and forget all about Roy.

Or he had to give up his 168 belt, to make a real push for the fight.
O Grant didnt have to do that
Quote:
You mean you can't give me an answer.
I did give you an answer. You are repeating yourself.
He made an offer he called Roy out. Thats how and you know that

Quote:
Ha! It's longer than 6 years now is it? Ha! But you can't tell me when exactly?
Yes I can. The links have been given to you many times. Are you forgetful as well as dumb?
Some links again for you, but really now Loudon, I give you facts and you pretend you havent seen them and post your opinion.
I have said stick to facts and you just cannot do it

You know he called out Jones at the end of 01 after McIntyre - Correct?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jVrFZDxZS0"]You Tube[/ame]
6:45 in. "For 2 years Calzaghe has chased pound for pound number one Roy Jones, but to no avail".

This was 02 middle of
Here Calzaghe mentions Jones again and even notes that Jones mentions him
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qeXpJlLNzs&feature=player_embedded"]You Tube[/ame]

BBC, 21st November 2001.
"It's all very well being the best in the world, but you need big names for big fights," he reflects.
A fight with the Eric Lucas, the WBC champion, is a possibility, but unification fights are notoriously hard and expensive to arrange.
As is a bout with Roy Jones.
"To be honest I'm getting quite fed up with it," Calzaghe said.
A bout against the undisputed light heavyweight champion has been the subject of ongoing speculation.
"It's difficult because of the different networks involved. He's with HBO and I'm with Showtime - that's a massive obstacle in itself.
"Secondly, you've got to ask yourself whether Roy Jones would want to fight me.
"At the moment he picks his own opponents, fights the easiest guys he can and gets a lot of money for beating them.
"I'm dangerous and I can take the mega money out of his pocket. Why would he want to fight me?

Again end of 2002
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Here end of 2000
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhSxp...tu.be&t=26m47s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhSxp...tu.be&t=26m47s[/ame]

So I have come up with proof for years 00, 01 and 02

When he got him in the ring
Former four-division champion Roy Jones Jr, speaking with The Sunday Times, responded to Joe Calzaghe's recent claim of chasing Jones for several years and being brushed aside. Calzaghe spoke with The Sunday Mirror and appeared to have some newfound hostility when Jones' name came up.

"I spent five or six years chasing Jones and he acted like he never even knew my name," said Calzaghe. "Suddenly, I beat Hopkins in Vegas and Jones wants to be my neighbor - it's ridiculous. If a fight with Jones made sense from a cash point of view, then it could happen, but he is notorious for asking for too much money."

Jones says that he viewed Calzaghe as a possible opponent several years ago, but at the time he saw no reason to travel to Wales to chase the fight. Now that Calzaghe is the bigger star, Jones is willing to make the fight anywhere.

I saw Joe as a potential opponent a long time ago,” Jones said. “But I had my eyes on higher things, such as winning the heavyweight title, so it was nothing against Joe, I love everything about him. He’s a fun guy, an entertaining guy, a good person. We took some pictures together with his sons after the fight on Saturday and we’ve talked on the phone. But boxing is business. When I was the best pound-for-pound boxer in the world it wouldn’t have been smart for me to go and fight Joe.

”You don’t go to somebody else when you’re the best, they must come to you, so I wouldn’t take the risk, and why would I? Why would I meet that challenge when I’m already the best? Why would I go to your country and give you a chance to allow the powers that be to take a close decision and give it to you?"
Quote:
Against who?
Eubank, Reid, Woodhall, Brewer, Veit, Mitchell, all fighters who were or became SMW champs
top 10 SMWs like Starie who took Woods 0, Sheika coming in off a win over Johnson, Mkertchyan etc
thats 9 fights there
Quote:
The Hopkins negotiations were 2001/2002. Joe didn't end up in America for another 6 years.
Yeah? Hopkins backed out. why go to America? For who?

Quote:
How has it proved he was lying?

Because his bullshit claims don't add up. I've proven this, but all you can say is, it was off the cuff.

He claims he chased Roy for years.

You can't SERIOUSLY chase someone if you don't fight at their weight class or in their country. Which Joe didn't do until 2008, when Roy was nearly 40!

THAT PROVES HE WAS FULL OF SHIT!
Did O Grant get the fight?
Jones offered MW Hopkins also

shows that you didnt need to be in the same division at all.
T Bradley got offered a shot at Pacquiao, but I dont recall him going to the Philippeans calling Pac out
Quote:
Ha! Why the **** else would he try and embarrass Floyd like that? Floyd was at home fuming. He got straight on the phone to Leonard Ellerbe and demanded that the fight be made.
He didnt say he wanted the fight and didnt call Floyd out. Floyd chased him there.
Hatton also wasnt in the same weight class which dismisses yourown quote above
Quote:
No! He mentioned his name and then did nothing to back up what he'd said.
Which is more than O Grant did who got the fight.
He called Jones out, but your bias agenda just says he mentioned his name and nothing else .
Jones was the one who mentioned names and nothing else
You must be so butthurt Loudon
Quote:
How did he build a fanbase? By fighting there like you've just mentioned. The casual American PPV fans picked up on him, and they watched him beat Castillo.
They have TVs in America and fans knew who Calzaghe was.
Quote:
When he mocked Floyd, people watched and knew who he was.
He didnt really mock Floyd, just when asked said that was more action in those 4 rounds than Floyds career. He said nothing else and that was only because the presenter asked him. He didnt call out Floyd, so stop trying to rewrite history
Quote:
When Joe mentioned Roy, hardly anyone had seen him him fight, and knew nothing about him.
As proven in the links. Roy did.
I know you say mandatories etc, but did everyone know of R Frazier and G Kelly as well as O Grant.
Quote:
Because of what Ricky said, there was interest in a Hatton vs Mayweather fight.
One sentence after a question was asked to him
Quote:
How many American fans do you think would have spoke about a potential Roy Jones vs Calzaghe fight?
Probably more than the ones who were excited to see Jones against O Grant or G Kelly
Quote:
Nobody knew who he was unitl he'd beaten Lacy in 2006, at 34.
That wasnt in America and Calzaghe had beaten other American SMWs.
Self pwned again with that one Loudon
Such as this one
bailey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #527
HauntingTheHoly
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,055
vCash: 1000
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

75% probably not enough to beat Froch, and would give him a 0% chance of beating Ward, which would really be the fight everyone wants to see.
HauntingTheHoly is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #528
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: England
Posts: 13,853
vCash: 355
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

The gap in the post Loudon

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
bailey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #529
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: England
Posts: 13,853
vCash: 355
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerolGee View Post
Bailey does have a lot of alts to swing polls his way.
You come out with rubbish like this because MAJR has owned you on a subject I have schooled you on.
I cant believe after the way I dismantled you in the very same way that you would get taken in again .

Please tell me who these alts are. Im looking out for talented posters on ESB
bailey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:17 PM   #530
Slothrop
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The Zone
Posts: 5,770
vCash: 1195
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Joe Calzaghe is a fag.
Slothrop is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:14 PM   #531
Auracle21
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,994
vCash: 14814
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Ward beats him easily. Even Froch beats him pretty handedly now.
Auracle21 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:24 PM   #532
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 6,369
vCash: 760
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
You come out with rubbish like this because MAJR has owned you on a subject I have schooled you on.
I cant believe after the way I dismantled you in the very same way that you would get taken in again .

Please tell me who these alts are. Im looking out for talented posters on ESB

Posting that same annoying video with spiked hair Calzaghe lying about chasing Roy Jones does not make it any more true..

Joe did not want to fight prime Roy... That is a fact.

That video link was retarded... A biased video towards Joe stating he "chased" Roy for 2 years.. By doing what exactly? He did nothing....

Very easy to run his mouth, about why fighting him didn't make money sense for Roy... You know why?? because it didn't! But it could have, had he done more about it!!! Joe was a very good fighter, with no PPV name, and it was his own fault.. He could have easily moved up and forced a fight with Roy... He was too reluctant though... He knew that 0 would be in jeopardy.

Last edited by Mind Reader; 10-30-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Mind Reader is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:47 AM   #533
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: England
Posts: 13,853
vCash: 355
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Reader View Post
Posting that same annoying video with spiked hair Calzaghe lying about chasing Roy Jones does not make it any more true..
That wasnt the only video.
It shows on that video he was interested in fighting Jones and pursuing the fight. How can that video not be true?
Quote:
Joe did not want to fight prime Roy... That is a fact.
How is it a fact? Please answer
He called Jones out and made offers. Jones is the one who changed his mind.
Stick to facts or you will be like Loudon who gets it all doesnt know any details and thinks his opinion is fact.
Lets stick to facts that we can produce
Quote:
That video link was retarded... A biased video towards Joe stating he "chased" Roy for 2 years.. By doing what exactly? He did nothing....
Called Roy out and made offers. What more was there?
You believe S Collins wanted to fight Jones who called him out also, but not Calzaghe where there is a stream of proof and video footage to go with it.
I dont know how the video is bias, but I will leave that with you
Quote:
Very easy to run his mouth, about why fighting him didn't make money sense for Roy... You know why?? because it didn't! But it could have, had he done more about it!!! Joe was a very good fighter, with no PPV name, and it was his own fault.. He could have easily moved up and forced a fight with Roy... He was too reluctant though... He knew that 0 would be in jeopardy
You want to look at it in a way to suit your agenda, but Calzaghe was a world champ, who was making fair money with fair crowds. If he had of dropped his title and moved up, he wouldnt have a title to defend and would have lost his earning potential. That wouldnt make sense.
Either way we know Jones wanted 10 mil, was that realistic?
Jones knew of Calzaghe and viewed him as an opponent, so the fight did make sense if Jones had of wanted it.
Im sure it would have been a bigger fight that O Grant, R Frazier, G Kelly and most of Jones other mandatories and you know that is true.

You would like to rewrite history to suit your agenda, but we know Calzaghe called Jones out.
We know Jones changed his mind. (Read the links I provided in the post to Loudon).
We know Calzaghe made offers. We know Jones priced himself out and didnt make counters.
We know Calzaghe was happy to go to America and LHW if a fight with Hopkins or Jones could be made.
We know Jones knew of Calzaghe and talked of him.
We know for this fight nobody would be interested in would have been bigger than over half of Roys LHW title fights.
We know that when Hopkins and Jones did agree to fight him, he did go to America, did go up in weight, did agree as the bigger name to 50/50 deals to make the fights and did beat them
bailey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:59 AM   #534
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,882
vCash: 191
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Calzaghe speaks with no conviction whatsoever in that video. Even Tim Lovejoy was dubious and called him out by saying Roy was in a different weight class. Joe was blowing smoke, its as clear as day.

Last edited by dinovelvet; 11-02-2012 at 09:09 AM.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:27 AM   #535
GlassJawsExist
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,784
vCash: 496
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

I am quite certain that this thread has been on a loop for weeks.
GlassJawsExist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:56 AM   #536
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 6,369
vCash: 760
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

[quote=bailey;14104948]
Quote:

You want to look at it in a way to suit your agenda, but Calzaghe was a world champ, who was making fair money with fair crowds. If he had of dropped his title and moved up, he wouldnt have a title to defend and would have lost his earning potential. That wouldnt make sense.
You admit Calzaghe was not willing to drop his belt and move up to Roy's weight... That is all I am saying, he never "chased" him...

Tarver chased him, an argument can be made that Collins chased him, Calzaghe never did anything more than talk. And contradicted himself at times.. Like you said, he was not willing to give up his belt and move up, and fight in Roy's weight class... Had he done that, and beat some LHW contenders, calling Jones out after the fights, would be chasing him.

For how many offers Joe made Roy, just as many quotes can be pulled up about Joe not wanting to fight him.

And don't post anything that has to do with their fight in 2008.. they were both lying out there teeth then to try to promote their fight.
Mind Reader is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:05 AM   #537
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 5,579
vCash: 500
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Bailey,


Part 1.


Quote:
Joe was better than Roy when they fought

And?? So was Glen Johnson, who knocked Roy cold, 4 years earlier. I want to meet someone who genuinely thinks that Glen Johnson was a better fighter than Roy.


Quote:

What were Jirovs top 5 wins

Do answer

I'm not going to list what I think are Jirov's best wins, for you to argue otherwise. You said people rated Toney's win as great. I'm saying it was a good win. Jirov was good, and it was a good win. That's all.


Quote:

Alot of highly rated fighters havent. Take Ward who has been put in the top 5 P4P for example.

Fact is Calzaghe beat prime Kessler, who was on a run of good wins and undefeated. Weather you think his record of beating 5 SMW champs coming in is good or bad with 2 being champs and one former/soon to be champ again

Why are you arguing? I know a lot of fighters haven't. That's fine. Joe's win over Kessler was very good. But my original point, was that he hadn't beaten any elite fighters. We'll leave it there.


Quote:

I think you showed yourself up with that mistake.

Cummings wasnt for a world title in any shape or form. Not sure why you keep bringing him up?

What's wrong with you? You are showing yourself up, by continuously bringing it up. I said I thought that....... and then you came back and said I was mistaken. Fair enough. I wasn't pretending to know, and I wasn't passing anything off, it was a question. Move on!


Quote:
You say that to suit your agenda, but I would argue that Froch and Kessler are older, and not as good at 31 as Eubank was there and now watching Bute at around that age, it appears he isnt as good at 31 either

You could argue ANYTHING!

Even when I agree with you, you still try and argue. Eubank was a very good win. But Eubank was at the end of his career, and he wasn't at his best. That's all I'm saying.



Quote:

How was Eubank not fully prepared?

He was much smaller and lighter and put weights in his pockets to appear heavier when weighing in with his clothes on.

Fact that escapes you is Eubank ran Thompson to a close decision and was ahead in the rematch before his eye injury ended matters. You forget that this was prime Thompson who when past best became the only fighter to beat unifed CW champ Haye. Tells you how good Eubank was and what a good win it was.

There's no facts that have escaped me. I watched both fights live. I've agreed with your points on this. I bet you wake up in a morning, go to the bathroom, and have a full scale argument with yourself whilst looking in the mirror. Joe's win was a very good win. But I picked Kessler as his best, because he unified the division. It's all subjective.



Quote:

Tell me one SMW that you think could go straight up to CW and compete with a massive punching CW today? I admit it is tough to gaige and Thompson is a much harder hitter than any around today

Yes.

In fact he agreed to meet Collins twice only for Collins to retire

This is where you let yourself down badly. It's one rule for one fighter, and another rule for fighters you don't like. You've asked this question, and I agree with your point, and it's hard for me to give you a name. However, you give Roy ZERO credit for going upto heavy and beating Ruiz, who was far from great, but who'd knocked down and beaten Holy, and who was effective. How many fighters in the history of the sport have done what Roy did? He was the first person in 106 years to do it.


You think Eubank going up at 32, to fight Thompson is great. I agree!

But again, you don't give Roy ANY CREDIT for moving up at 34, to beat Ruiz.


Quote:

No you dont

Loudon you must be completely daft here.

You dont know what he would or wouldnt have taken especially as he wasnt offered.

BUT YOU DONT KNOW.

If you think he'd have fought Roy for less than a million, fine.


Quote:

YOU DONT KNOW THAT.

He wasnt offered. You dont know that.

Loudon you are completely thick to go by on just assumptions that you dont know.

Perhaps he wouldnt have fought for the same as Grant got, as he was a bigger fighter, but YOU DONT KNOW THAT

In this case, it's a very safe assumption to make.


Quote:

300K would be the crown jewels if you only get 50k a fight.

YOU DONT KNOW THAT.

How many more times do I have to let you know that you dont know what you are going on about?

Jones didnt make an offer.

Was Joe only getting 50k a fight?

Do you seriously think that when he made the comment, he was referring to thousands as opposed to millions? Seriously?

Last edited by Loudon; 10-31-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Loudon is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:06 AM   #538
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 5,579
vCash: 500
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Part 2.

Quote:

YOU DONT KNOW THAT

As said it probably would be, but he was a bigger fight and if you remember rightly Jones mentioned about Calzaghe after the Woods fight but still didnt make an offer. So Jones knew who he was and thought of it as a potential fight.

But im sure you can speak for whatever Jones or Calzaghe were thinking at that time

He didn't make an offer at that point, because Joe was at the bottom of his 3 man list. Murad was trying to get the Ruiz fight. All Joe was, was a small possibility until Murad came back to Roy with a definite answer either way. Tarver was second on the list, because it's a fight people were talking about, for more money, at 175. Joe was nothing more than a possibility. As soon as Murad came back with a yes, Joe was instantly forgotten about.


Quote:

How was it a lie? JONES EVEN SAID IT.

Do you think they were both lying now

Roy said "I know he's wanted to fight me for a while." He said that, because Joe had told him in the pre fight build up. Roy didn't say "Joe's been chasing me hard for 5 or 6 years!"


Quote:
You are aware McIntyre was a late sub arent you?

That is relevant how??


Quote:

Called him out, made an offer. The usual ways dummy.

Same as most do.

I answered but you didnt answer me.


Is the usual way, mentioning someone's name, and then not doing anything else, and just carrying on, doing what you've been doing?

Joe made the claims, and then did nothing! He continued to fight in Britain at the same weight. How was that going to land Roy, who fought at 175 in America? You can't answer me!


Quote:
What did O Grant do to call out Jones?

He baked a cake, and then took it round to Roy's farm in Pensacola.


Quote:

Not just Jimenez as you like to keep insinuating. Brewer a SMW champ was between those fights, and training for Brewer he was still calling out Jones and Hopkins.

He wasnt at home against Jiminez. Another mistake by you there.

Jiminez was a mandatory, but as said you dont note Brewer who was known in America, or Mitchell who was also who he both fought. See your bias agenda has been unravelled again.

Yes he fought Brewer too, and the same applies. How was beating Brewer at 168, going to land Roy for big money up at 175??

He fought Jiminez in Britain. I didn't mean in his garden. I was classing Britain as home. Again, beating Byron Mitchell wasn't going to get anyone talking about a fight with Roy at 175. If he'd have been as serious to fight Roy, as what you believe, he'd have moved up before 2008, but he didn't did he?


Quote:
Roy as unified champ was fighting Frazier, Kelly etc, so lets not pretend Jones may not have wanted a bigger fight

Yes, but at the time, he was hoping to fight DM, and was making enquiries into moving up to heavy.


Quote:

Fair comment. He wants good money for a big fight.

Do you think he wanted 10mil like Jones?

He was calling Jones out and his team made an offer, so he obviously was interested just wanted to be paid more than normal which he should have been

Fair comment, but Roy fought for HBO, and Joe was unknown to Amercan fans, so it was unrealistic. Do I think He wanted 10 million? No. Even Joe wouldn't have been stupid enough to have wanted that amount. But he wanted millions rather than thousands, and I think that's obvious.


Quote:

Depends what he was getting and YOU DONT KNOW!!

YOU DONT KNOW WHAT HE WOULD FIGHT FOR

Stop being an idiot. I think you trying to imply that Joe would have possibly fought Roy for thousands, and not millions, is absolutely hilarious!


Quote:

Known enough for Jones to mention him when he was training for Woodhall, only for Jones to change his mind.

Known enough for Jones to mention him before he fought Sheika.

Known enough for Jones to mention him after he beat Woods

He was known to Roy. Again it was Roy's job to know him.

However, Joe WASN'T KNOWN, TO THE AMERICAN PPV AUDIENCE.



Quote:

I didnt say he would be. I noted that if someone was getting 50k a fight and said they wanted the crown jewels to fight fighter x and was offered 500k, they would probably take it as its far more than normal to what they get paid. Its not millions as you try and make out.

I was trying to give an example to this intelligent guy that he could understand

Yes I get that, but Joe was talking about fighting the best fighter in the world!

Do you think Joe was getting 50k a fight?

Do you think when he mentioned wanting the crown jewels, he was talking about 500K?


Ha! He was talking about fighting one of the best fighters that's ever lived. He said he knew what his capabilites were, and he'd want the crown jewels. If you think he was referring to thousands and not millions, then you my friend, are a complete pudding!



Quote:

I deleted the bit about Woods and Frazier etc but as you know Grant wasnt a Jones mandatory .

As for if he was offered 900k, I dont know, but YOU DONT KNOW either, we know Jones wanted 10 mil

I never said he was a mandatory. You don't know??

Oh I think you do!


Quote:

I said stick to facts and for this intelligent guy you based your arguement on your personnal thoughts again

Such as, he never fought at Roy's weight or in Roy's Country til 2008.


Is that my opinion, or is that a fact?


Of course despite this fact, Joe really really wanted to fight Roy right? Ha!

Last edited by Loudon; 10-31-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Loudon is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:17 AM   #539
HerolGee
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,267
vCash: 500
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
You come out with rubbish like this because MAJR has owned you on a subject I have schooled you on.
Yeah... no. he agreed with me.

He only agrees with your divisions theory (which has been fine by me for ages, btw, when applied to divisions alone), not with your view of the sanctioning body, and its the sanctioning body that gives the division its authenticity, which he agrees with me on. IBo titles are shite compared to the major ones, however you want to spin it.

But I can see how in Baileyworld, people disagreeing with Bailey becomes Bailey winning. well done again FaileyBailey. Or should it be DailyFailey.
HerolGee is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #540
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 5,579
vCash: 500
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Part 3.

Quote:

DM wasnt an avenue that Jones explored and they were in the same division and DM the rightful champ, so that could have been a pointless exercise in losing a title you have defended and where you are making a legacy to pursue another fight you may not get.

Good job he didnt do that as we wouldnt be talking about the best SMW ever now
DM wasn't an avenue Roy explored? Ha! Apart from Roy's advisors meeting with HBO and talking to DM's advisor? Zod posted the links last week.

Yes it would have been a risk for Joe to take. We could also be sat here debating Joe's victory over DM, and his fight with Roy.


Quote:

And I have video footage where he says he is. Video footage seems more genuine than a link.
Haha!

Quote:

You believe something written but dont believe a video link.

I think you are just very butthurt that Calzaghe beat Hopkins and Jones and a bit bothered by it as well as the fact they didnt want to face him when prime. Links have shown several different years and times

I'll send you a video of me claiming that I want to fight Mike Tyson. He did nothing to back the videos up. I was upset when Roy lost to Tarver and Johnson in 2004. After that, everything else was irrelevant. Getting upset by Joe beating him, would be the same as getting upset by Green beating him.

Joe said in 2001 he'd be willing to go up to 175. He didn't go!

He said in 2004, he knew he had to go up. He didn't go!

He also said, he had a fear of flying.

In 2007 and in 2008, he said a fight with Roy, would be POINTLESS!

Later on that year, he overcame his fear of flying to go and fight Roy!


One word - PATHETIC!

And yes, I'm sure when Roy was at the top of his game, he was scared stiff of a nobody from Wales, that wasn't even in his weight class.

Roy and coach Merk were shivering wrecks, and had to seek counselling.

Have the links proven how he chased Roy for 6 years? Ha!


Quote:

Something Calzaghe agreed to do.

You cant give a sensible answer for Jones calling out Grant at all because Calzaghe agreed to those stipulations and you know that.

So why deny that
Hello! He didn't get to 175 til 2008. So taking that into consideration, how serious was he??


Quote:

Are you denying that Hopkins pulled out or that Calzaghe agreed to fight in America for those fights.

Yes or no, because you are avoiding my questions to the point of further humiliation to yourself
What, he couldn't move up to 175, or fight in America for another 6 years, due to those fights not coming off?

Quote:
O Grant didnt have to do that
He left his division and fought Roy in America!

Joe wouldn't do that. He wouldn't take the risk.

Quote:

I did give you an answer. You are repeating yourself.

He made an offer he called Roy out. Thats how and you know that
No, he didn't personally call Roy out. He MENTIONED his name, and after the dust had settled, he continued to do what he'd been doing.

Quote:

Yes I can. The links have been given to you many times. Are you forgetful as well as dumb?

Some links again for you, but really now Loudon, I give you facts and you pretend you havent seen them and post your opinion.

I have said stick to facts and you just cannot do it
I've seen your links a hundred times!


Quote:
You know he called out Jones at the end of 01 after McIntyre - Correct?
No! He mentioned his name, and that was it!


Quote:
So I have come up with proof for years 00, 01 and 02

No! Where's the proof he CHASED HIM??

It's just talk!

Name the 6 years, and tell me how he CHASED HIM!?

Quote:

Eubank, Reid, Woodhall, Brewer, Veit, Mitchell, all fighters who were or became SMW champs

top 10 SMWs like Starie who took Woods 0, Sheika coming in off a win over Johnson, Mkertchyan etc

thats 9 fights there

Yeah? Hopkins backed out. why go to America? For who?
Again, how were they going to get him a shot at Roy, for the big money he wanted?

Hardly any of the American fans had seen Joe fight. Why don't you ask the American guys on here for their feedback? They were all fought at a different weight class. Even if Joe had've destroyed all of them fighters, it would only have made minor ripples in the boxing world.

Quote:

Did O Grant get the fight?

Jones offered MW Hopkins also



shows that you didnt need to be in the same division at all.
Grant left his division to get the fight. Joe wouldn't leave his.

The Hopkins rematch would have to have been a catchweight. The circumstances were different. They'd got history, and Bernard was globally recognised, and Joe wasn't.

Quote:

T Bradley got offered a shot at Pacquiao, but I dont recall him going to the Philippeans calling Pac out
Why would he? When Pac has a home in L.A. and regularly fights in the U.S.? Again, it's a different set of circumstances. Bradley's known, Joe wasn't.

Quote:

He didnt say he wanted the fight and didnt call Floyd out. Floyd chased him there. Hatton also wasnt in the same weight class which dismisses your own quote above
No it was just a coincidence that he fought Castillo in America. It had nothing to do with trying to get Floyd in the ring right?

He mocked Floyd, like Tarver mocked Roy.

At what weight did they eventually fight at? Ricky's 140, or Floyd's 147? Ricky didn't want to fight at 147, but he knew Floyd wouldn't come down, so he made the sacrifice and went up.

Quote:

Which is more than O Grant did who got the fight.

He called Jones out, but your bias agenda just says he mentioned his name and nothing else .
Grant was willing to fight at 175.

Bias agenda? He mentioned Roy's name, and then continued to fight at 168, while Roy remained at 175. Ha!


Quote:
They have TVs in America and fans knew who Calzaghe was.
Ask someone on here then. He was relatively unknown.


Quote:
He didnt really mock Floyd, just when asked said that was more action in those 4 rounds than Floyds career. He said nothing else and that was only because the presenter asked him. He didnt call out Floyd, so stop trying to rewrite history
Of course he mocked him! Floyd got straight on the phone to Ellerbe. It was a jibe, and it seems everyone but you realised it.


Quote:
As proven in the links. Roy did.
So what? The casual American fans didn't. Again, we'll ask Mind Reader or someone else on here.


Quote:
I know you say mandatories etc, but did everyone know of R Frazier and G Kelly as well as O Grant.
No, but again, they were different circumstances. Two of them fought at 175, and the other one moved up.


Quote:
One sentence after a question was asked to him
No, because he fought there two or three times, and made a great impression on everyone, as well as mocking Floyd.

Do you think it was just a coincidence, that he got the opportunity to fight Manny shortly after? Do you think if Ricky had've stayed at home, and not fought Floyd, he'd have fought Manny in 2009? I don't think so!


Quote:

Probably more than the ones who were excited to see Jones against O Grant or G Kelly

Possibly, but there wouldn't have been any sort of big public demand for the fight. Now if Joe had've gone to the States earlier, and impressed, then maybe they would have been lots of interest. But we'll never know, because he never went, unitl it was too late.

When your promoter is wanting you to fight someone who finished 2nd on The Contender, at 35, to gain U.S. exposure, you know that you've made mistakes in your career.


Quote:

That wasnt in America and Calzaghe had beaten other American SMWs.

Self pwned again with that one Loudon

Such as this one
I know where the fight was held thanks.

Lacy was the next big thing, and a lot of people tuned in. After the event, Joe had gained their respect.

Quote:

Self pawned
No, try again.


Regards, Loudon

Last edited by Loudon; 10-31-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Loudon is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013