Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


View Poll Results: If you were Joe Calzaghe will you come out of retirement to fight Ward
Yes 78 19.40%
no 324 80.60%
Voters: 402. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #556
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,570
vCash: 86
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Bailey are you claiming Hatton didn't want a Mayweather fight? A fight everybody above and bellow welter strives for. Thats just crazy. You must of forgot Hatton was 100% self convinced he could beat Floyd. Why would he not want an opportunity to beat Floyd and earn the most money of his career?

And you would have to be in complete denial or just stupid to think the crown jewels wasn't a metaphor for a large sum of money.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #557
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: England
Posts: 13,374
vCash: 75
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudon View Post
Part 3.
DM wasn't an avenue Roy explored? Ha! Apart from Roy's advisors meeting with HBO and talking to DM's advisor? Zod posted the links last week.
See this is the double standards on your part. Calzaghes team makes offers and visits Jones advisors and you say its not calling out. Jones team apparently does that and you say Jones was pursuing .
double standards Loudon.
Big difference was that Jones was in the same division as DM and DM was the champ and Jones didnt have that fight and DM wanted it, so I guess there was something not right there

You laugh at links and proof Loudon which means you are obviously in denial somewhere
Quote:
I'll send you a video of me claiming that I want to fight Mike Tyson. He did nothing to back the videos up. I was upset when Roy lost to Tarver and Johnson in 2004. After that, everything else was irrelevant. Getting upset by Joe beating him, would be the same as getting upset by Green beating him.
Stop waffling Loudon
Quote:
Joe said in 2001 he'd be willing to go up to 175. He didn't go!
Because Jones didnt give him the fight.
Willing to go up if the fight with Jones is made. Willing yes, but there has to be a point and to ditch a world title for a fight that might not happen is not a good reason as he would be doing himself out of pocket.
Come on Loudon, you claim to be an intelligent guy, even you can work that out.
Froch wanted to fight Calzaghe and said he was willing to go up to 175lbs, but didnt go up. He wouldnt dump a belt for a fight that might not happen and lose out would he?
Quote:
He also said, he had a fear of flying.
He didnt like it, but still agreed to travel. Shows the mark of the man. But when he didnt have to take a plane like when he fought in Denmark, he didnt, he caught the train.
Quote:
In 2007 and in 2008, he said a fight with Roy, would be POINTLESS!
Cash out fight, where the champ fought the #6 LHW. Finally Roy agreed to fight him, and at the time Jones/Calzaghe was considered a bigger fight than Hopkins coming off a loss/Pavlik MW fighting at LHW
Quote:
And yes, I'm sure when Roy was at the top of his game, he was scared stiff of a nobody from Wales, that wasn't even in his weight class.
Such a nobody that Roy knew of him and saw him as a threat and we know Roy was worried about a couple of fighters from Germany and another couple in England, so who knows what went through his mind. Only you can answer that aye Loudon
Quote:
Have the links proven how he chased Roy for 6 years
No, they date back to 2000, so are a bit longer than 6 years. I guess they were the years before Roys fall against Tarver, because the links I showed dated back to 2000, so thats a bit more than the 6 years. Am I ment to put HA at the end of a sentence?
Quote:
Hello! He didn't get to 175 til 2008. So taking that into consideration, how serious was he
It wasnt the weight division dummy, it was the fighters he was after and considering both priced themselves out, when they agreed to fight him, he travelled for them, gave them the money they wanted and went up a division for them. No problem.
remember he agreed to go to America when he thought the Hopkins fight was agreed.
Quote:
What, he couldn't move up to 175, or fight in America for another 6 years, due to those fights not coming off?
Why would he.
It wasnt the division he was interested in, it was the fighters, and by that time there was Kessler and lacy appearing who were making noise and of bigger interest than anyone other than Hopkins and Jones. So go to America for what?
Quote:
He left his division and fought Roy in America!

Joe wouldn't do that. He wouldn't take the risk.
He agreed to it.
Why do you deny that. He agreed to fight in America at Roys weight if the fight was agreed. You know that, so why keep pretending otherwise and repeating he wouldnt when that part was agreed?
Still your arguement is completely ruined because when they agreed to fight him, he did fight in America at the weight they wanted.
Pwned again there Loudon.

Jones didnt have to go with HBO
Boxing: Calzaghe has Jones in sight



By Bob Mee

5:45PM GMT 11 Dec 2000


AMERICAN Roy Jones is becoming a serious target for Britain's [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], who defends his title against [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]at Sheffield Arena on Saturday.

Jones, 31, the world light-heavyweight champion, who outpointed Woodhall, of Telford, in the 1988 Olympic semi-final in Seoul, is now a free agent after leaving promoter Murad Muhammad.

Frank ******, who promotes Calzaghe and Woodhall, said Saturday's winner could be looking at a fight with Jones next year. Jones's preference, says ******, is for Calzaghe because the Welsh southpaw, 28, has won all his 29 fights.

****** said Jones has not signed a new deal with the American television giant HBO, which would allow a fight with Calzaghe on Showtime, with whom ****** has a working relationship
bailey is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #558
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: England
Posts: 13,374
vCash: 75
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

For Loudon cont...

Quote:

No, he didn't personally call Roy out. He MENTIONED his name, and after the dust had settled, he continued to do what he'd been doing.
He said he wanted Jones and his team made an offer. If he didnt make an offer, you would have a point, but they did.

By your points then very few fighters have called anyone out

Quote:

No! He mentioned his name, and that was it!
Said he wanted to fight Jones or more than one link.

You see Loudon, I have you clutching at straws and trying to knit pick as the evidence weighs against you

Quote:

No! Where's the proof he CHASED HIM??



It's just talk!
Links with dates of 2000, 2001 and 2002 and notes of offers and calling Jones out and you say its just talk

You will never accept that Jones decided against it. Of that Hopkins backed out because it breaks the myths that you like to live with

Quote:

Name the 6 years, and tell me how he CHASED HIM!?
You tell me. I gave you links with 00, 01 and 02. You are the one that has decided that he must have been lying when given proof

Quote:

Again, how were they going to get him a shot at Roy, for the big money he wanted?
Are you thick Loudon? WHAT MONEY DID THEY WANT? YOU DONT KNOW

Quote:

Hardly any of the American fans had seen Joe fight. Why don't you ask the American guys on here for their feedback? They were all fought at a different weight class. Even if Joe had've destroyed all of them fighters, it would only have made minor ripples in the boxing world.
Did the American fans know O Grant? C Woods, G Kelly, R Frazier?

Quote:

Grant left his division to get the fight. Joe wouldn't leave his.
Grant left his division for the one fight, like Joe agreed to do.

What can you not grasp there? Joe agreed for the Jones fight. Grant didnt go on a LHW campaign, he ditched a title for one fight. Calzaghe agreed to do that, that has not been a secret.

You sound like you think Grant went on a mad LHW campaign. He didnt, so you saying he made Jones a cake or whatever is another dose of selfpwning on your part because Grant didnt do anything Calzaghe said he wasnt willing to do

Quote:

Why would he? When Pac has a home in L.A. and regularly fights in the U.S.? Again, it's a different set of circumstances. Bradley's known, Joe wasn't.
Completely different weight divisions. Calzaghe was known also, you just like to say he wasnt





Quote:

No it was just a coincidence that he fought Castillo in America. It had nothing to do with trying to get Floyd in the ring right?
Media called for that fight. Castillo was after Hatton because he couldnt make weight, got made a top 3 fighter by the ring, was put on the Hatton undercard.

Quote:

He mocked Floyd, like Tarver mocked Roy.
How did Hatton mock Floyd? He answered a question and no more, so show me this mocking. They were different weight divisions.

Did Hatton call out Floyd after he fought Castillo? No, he answered a question

the commentator asked about Floyd and Hatton barely said anything other than the comment about more action in 4 rounds. Didnt mock Floyd, didnt say he wanted the fight and said little and that he would leave it at that.

You show me where he was mocking Floyd .

Watch from 3:27 for your further selfpwnage

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYd8lhxMWP8&feature=relmfu[/ame]









Quote:

At what weight did they eventually fight at? Ricky's 140, or Floyd's 147? Ricky didn't want to fight at 147, but he knew Floyd wouldn't come down, so he made the sacrifice and went up.
This is you speculating again Loudon. Where is the link and proof of that?





Quote:
Grant was willing to fight at 175.
So was Calzaghe. Why are we going around in circles with this. He agreed to that and did when the fights could be made



Quote:
Bias agenda? He mentioned Roy's name, and then continued to fight at 168, while Roy remained at 175.
Explain Loudon for the 100th time

Why would he drop a world title for a fight that may not happen? If the fight was agreed fine. But Jones changed his mind. Why lose money for a whim?



2000



Quote:
Promoter Frank ****** confirmed that Calzaghe should now fight in America and refused to give up on the possibility of securing a fight with American light-heavyweight Roy Jones.


2001



Quote:

The 29-year-old Welshman remains undefeated and will now hope to go on and fight another American, the light-heavyweight champion Roy Jones Jnr.

I'm the best, the number one in this division, and I've proved it again and again. Now I want Roy Jones and Bernard Hopkins. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


By 05 I doubt Calzaghe was worried about Hopkins or Jones as much as he had Lacy and Kessler around making noise
Quote:
Ask someone on here then. He was relatively unknown.
Depends who you ask.

His fights were shown in America

Quote:

Calzaghe, fighting in front of the American television cameras once again, certainly impressed more than he had the last time he was stretched to points, in a stinker against David Starie in January 2000.
Quote:

Of course he mocked him! Floyd got straight on the phone to Ellerbe. It was a jibe, and it seems everyone but you realised it.
You best show this major mockery. I have put up the link and the time for you

Quote:

No, but again, they were different circumstances. Two of them fought at 175, and the other one moved up.
Moved up for the one agreed fight, like Calzaghe agreed to. He didnt just move up and you are backpedalling again

Quote:
No, because he fought there two or three times, and made a great impression on everyone
What the fight where he held all night against 18 fight Urango or where many felt he lost to Collazo.

Show me this terrible mocking please

Quote:
Do you think it was just a coincidence, that he got the opportunity to fight Manny shortly after? Do you think if Ricky had've stayed at home, and not fought Floyd, he'd have fought Manny in 2009?
Dont know. I would say because of the crowd he had, he could get the fights, because he had a following, where ever the fights would have been.

It took him 44 fights to get Mayweather and Calzaghe 45 to get Hopkins

Took Hatton 47 fights to get Pac and Calzaghe 46 to get Jones, so cant see much difference in that

Quote:

When your promoter is wanting you to fight someone who finished 2nd on The Contender, at 35, to gain U.S. exposure, you know that you've made mistakes in your career.
Calzaghe didnt want that one. That was for you boys. To lure Hopkins and it must have worked, beating the Ring #10 SMW before beating the Ring #1

Quote:

I know where the fight was held thanks.
then you also know Calzaghe was a big draw. How many went to see him fight Manfredo? More than Jones and Hopkins pulled in any of their big fights put together



Now Loudon lets work on facts we know

Calzaghe agreed to go to America if the fights with Hopkins or Jones could be made, so why deny this?
bailey is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #559
Auracle21
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,991
vCash: 14814
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

of course Calzaghe wanted to fight jones and b-hop. His plan worked perfectly. he waited for them to get old and then took them on. Pretty smart though as he would have been destroyed in the early 2000's if he fought them.
Auracle21 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #560
ELECTRIC GURU
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 614
vCash: 500
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auracle21 View Post
of course Calzaghe wanted to fight jones and b-hop. His plan worked perfectly. he waited for them to get old and then took them on. Pretty smart though as he would have been destroyed in the early 2000's if he fought them.
The fanboy denial is strong in this one
ELECTRIC GURU is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #561
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,570
vCash: 86
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

What a load of shit. Joe said this Joe said that. He didn't face them till 2008. The proof of the pudding is written in the history books.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:29 AM   #562
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SS Enterprise
Posts: 2,913
vCash: 500
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudon View Post
So even Frank didn't want the fight with Roy in the end?
.
Quote:
JOE CALZAGHE faces Roy Jones Jr at Madison Square Garden in New York this evening — his first fight since splitting with Sports Network.

Joe said he left because he could make more money on his own as a promoter, but I’m confident I would have got him much more for fighting a — as he described in his autobiography — “washed up” Jones than he secured.


Calzaghe seemed to make a number of naive mistakes when he “negotiated” the deal, but the most glaring was offering Jones a 50-50 split and throwing the UK TV rights into the pot.


No wonder Jones has been so nice to him in the build-up — he can’t believe his luck. Calzaghe held all the cards after beating Bernard Hopkins, while Jones, whatever Joe — wearing his new promoter’s hat — is now saying, is washed up.


This week Calzaghe has claimed many of the young world champions in the sport can’t hold a candle to Jones.


But however Joe wants to dress it up, the simple facts are these: Jones is not a world champion, is two months off his 40th birthday and looks an old fighter.


I hear ticket sales have been poor, with less Brits than expected making the trip because of the downturn in the economy and the weak pound, but mainly because it isn’t a box office fight.
Quote:
I always thought Calzaghe’s last fight should have been against Pavlik, a young, unbeaten, big-punching “name” who Joe would have taken to school, just like Hopkins did.


It would have generated more money than this fight, and wouldn’t have been perceived as a testimonial for two aging fighters looking to boost their pensions.
If you lose Joe, it's all your fault
general zod is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:36 AM   #563
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SS Enterprise
Posts: 2,913
vCash: 500
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
Bute
-When Joe left the division, Bute had just won the IBF strap that Joe vacated from Berrio
So according to you Calzaghe did not have to clear out his division because Bute had just become a champion?
Please stop debating like a child
Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
- Bute at this point, made no effort to call out Calzaghe
- Made no offers to unify
The above also applies to Calzaghe, but I notice you give him a pass for that.

There would of been no point for Bute to make any offers anyway, especially if he watched that vid were Calzaghe dismisses him outright.Bute is not a big enough name? Funny how that works, did the world know who Kabery Salem was when Calzaghe fought him?
Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
- Never expressed any desire to face Calzaghe when he was active
- In the build up to Bute-Froch, described Calzaghe as 'one of his idols' and stated he wasn't ready to face Joe
1: Are you sure about that? Was Bute not working his way up the WBO rankings when Calzaghe was the champion? Do you think he was working his way up to fight Calzaghe or because he wasn't ready for him?
2: Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
Beyer
Team Calzaghe tried to make the fight in '99 and it was 'impossible' - Not Calzaghe's fault[/quote]
Source?
Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
-What are the financial terms of the offer zod? Do you know?
I only know what ****** said about Beyer's terms, ****** never mentioned the details of his own terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
Not like zod to get caught out talking about business he doesn't know anything about
Bizarre

The fact that they were willing to return to the negotiating table shows how serious they were about making the fight.

They basically agreed on a date, which ****** later on changed to a date they could not make and this helps you how exactly? Even if they had agreed on everything that still does not mean the fight would of happened, think Glen Johnson

Anyway
Quote:
A unification showdown with WBA and IBF ruler Sven Ottke looks unlikely, particularly as Jay Larkin, top dog at US cable channel Showtime, whose financial backing would be needed, believes it would be a long and boring fight.

Ottke's stablemate , Markus Beyer, is booked to face the challenge of unbeaten Australian Danny Green, in Germany, on August 16. Anyway, he's no more attractive to American TV than Ottke.
Boxing: DEFENCE DILEMMA; Calzaghe's options for next fight looking limited.
No wonder Beyer's team were unhappy with Frank No us Money Warr.ens offers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
Vanderpool
He agreed to fight in him in 98 and then pulled out claiming to be injured
He agreed to fight him in 99(on HBO) and then pulled out claiming to be injured
He was an available opponent after the Telesco fight fell through and he was ignored

What made guys like Sheika and Salem more acceptable than Vanderpool?
If Calzaghe went on to fight Dawson or Bute than fair enough, but the fact he ignored them speaks for itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
-When did Calzaghe state he doesn't want to fight southpaws? Please show me that quote, I'd be interested in seeing it
You have asked a variation of this question before and my response was posted here:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
general zod is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:36 AM   #564
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 5,453
vCash: 500
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Bailey,

Quote:

See this is the double standards on your part. Calzaghes team makes offers and visits Jones advisors and you say its not calling out. Jones team apparently does that and you say Jones was pursuing .

double standards Loudon.

Big difference was that Jones was in the same division as DM and DM was the champ and Jones didnt have that fight and DM wanted it, so I guess there was something not right there



You laugh at links and proof Loudon which means you are obviously in denial somewhere

I said in 2001, all Joe did was mention Roy's name, and then did nothing else. In 2002, Frank had a few talks, but Joe was dismissed to fight Ruiz.

Again, you don't allow for circumstances in your arguments. The fight with DM, was to unify the whole division. Roy wanted that fight, but not bad enough to go to Germany, where he thought he may get robbed. Who could DM have fought at the time, who was better than Roy? What other fight out there was bigger?

Why do you keep insisting that DM wanted it? Roy was the man. He had 7 belts, to DM's 1. The onus was on DM to go to Roy. Did he go? NO! Stop saying he wanted the fight, when he wouldn't go. He was content doing what Joe was doing, which was defending his WBO belt at home for decent money.


Quote:

Because Jones didnt give him the fight.

Willing to go up if the fight with Jones is made. Willing yes, but there has to be a point and to ditch a world title for a fight that might not happen is not a good reason as he would be doing himself out of pocket.

Come on Loudon, you claim to be an intelligent guy, even you can work that out.

You haven't read my previous post properly have you?

He had to take the gamble earlier than in 2002. He had to move up to Roy's weight earlier, and make a name for himself to stir up interest in the fight. Would it have been a gamble? Of course it would have! Roy was the unified 175 champion, and he had to give up his belts to challenge Ruiz, and then he had to fight a fired up determined Tarver to try and win them back.

In 2002, Joe wanted Roy for big money. And you're saying if he'd have been guaranteed that, he'd have taken the fight. But what you don't understand is, Joe wasn't known to American fans, and HBO wanted a Ruiz or Tarver fight instead. You just don't get it do you? At the time, Joe could never get that Guarantee, because Roy had better options. Now if Joe had've moved up earlier, then a fight may have been an attractive proposition to everyone.

You can't fight your whole career defending your WBO belt at home, and then suddenly expect to fight the best fighter in the world for big money. That's not the way things work. We're just going around in circles.

If the big money had've been there, Joe had've taken the fight.

But how could the big money have been there, when he'd done nothing on the world stage, and was unknown?

That's how simple it is. He should have done more earlier! He should have ditched his WBO belt in 1999/2000 and tried to pursue Roy by moving up the rankings. Yes, as mentioned, it would have been a risk, but Joe didn't want to take it.

I keep telling you what his choices were.

1. Take a gamble, move up, and try everything to get people interested in a fight.

2. Stay at 168, unify the division, and forget about Roy.

The longer he stayed at 168, the less chance he had of fighting Roy Jones.

Why can't you understand that?

Joe beat some good fighters at 168, but it wasn't enough to get people talking about a fight with Roy.

HBO's PPV audience didn't take notice of Joe until 2006.


Quote:
Froch wanted to fight Calzaghe and said he was willing to go up to 175lbs, but didnt go up. He wouldnt dump a belt for a fight that might not happen and lose out would he?
Again, different set of circumstances. Joe was coming towards the end of his career.


Quote:
He didnt like it, but still agreed to travel. Shows the mark of the man. But when he didnt have to take a plane like when he fought in Denmark, he didnt, he caught the train.

Shows the mark of the man? Pity he didn't agree to in 1999.

Quote:
Cash out fight, where the champ fought the #6 LHW. Finally Roy agreed to fight him, and at the time Jones/Calzaghe was considered a bigger fight than Hopkins coming off a loss/Pavlik MW fighting at LHW
Yes it was a cash out fight, and nothing more. It can't in anyway, be considered as a great win for Joe.

Quote:
Such a nobody that Roy knew of him and saw him as a threat and we know Roy was worried about a couple of fighters from Germany and another couple in England, so who knows what went through his mind. Only you can answer that aye Loudon

Why do you keep saying Roy knew him? It was his job to know him. HBO's PPV audience didn't! They'd hardly seen him fight!


Quote:

No, they date back to 2000, so are a bit longer than 6 years. I guess they were the years before Roys fall against Tarver, because the links I showed dated back to 2000, so thats a bit more than the 6 years. Am I ment to put HA at the end of a sentence?
Once again, break down the years, and explain to me in detail, how he chased the fight. You don't seem to know what chasing is. Frank making an enquiry, and Joe mentioning Roy's name, is not chasing Roy.


Quote:

It wasnt the weight division dummy, it was the fighters he was after and considering both priced themselves out, when they agreed to fight him, he travelled for them, gave them the money they wanted and went up a division for them. No problem.

remember he agreed to go to America when he thought the Hopkins fight was agreed.

Roy fought at 175. Joe fought at 168. If he seriously wanted the fight, he'd have moved up earler. Woods was a mandatory. Joe could have been in Clinton's position. You can post up a thousand videos of Joe saying he wanted him. The fact that he refused to travel to America, or fight anybody at 175, proves to me just how serious he was.


You cannot fight the Veit's and Sobot's of the world at 168, and then say "Oh I'd love to fight Roy Jones, and if they give me huge money, I'd take the fight!" It's ****ing retarded! Nobody was going to give him big money. Why? Because he'd been fighting the Veit's and Sobot's of the world! If you can't see that, you're stupid. Joe had to make himself an exciting proposition, and he didn't! And before you start banging on about Frazier etc, they were mandatories, and again, Joe could have been one of them.


Quote:

Why would he.

It wasnt the division he was interested in, it was the fighters, and by that time there was Kessler and lacy appearing who were making noise and of bigger interest than anyone other than Hopkins and Jones. So go to America for what?

You're either winding me up, and were laughing while you were typing this? Or you're absolutely stupid, and you need some help!

It wasn't the division he was interested in???

It was the division where ROY FOUGHT!!

Go to America for what?

To try and get a ****ing Roy Jones fight!

HBO, Roy and the U.S. fans didn't give two shits about Joe beating Brewer, Mitchell, Jiminez, Veit and Pudwell etc etc at 168 in Britain!

How thick are you?


Quote:

He agreed to it.

Why do you deny that. He agreed to fight in America at Roys weight if the fight was agreed. You know that, so why keep pretending otherwise and repeating he wouldnt when that part was agreed?

Still your arguement is completely ruined because when they agreed to fight him, he did fight in America at the weight they wanted.

Pwned again there Loudon.

The fight would never have been agreed ever! Who wanted to see that fight? Nobody!

Pawned again?

He fought there in 2008 when it was pointless. Joe even admitted as much himself.


Quote:

Jones didnt have to go with HBO

Boxing: Calzaghe has Jones in sight

By Bob Mee

5:45PM GMT 11 Dec 2000


AMERICAN Roy Jones is becoming a serious target for Britain's World Boxing Organisation super-middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe, who defends his title against Richie Woodhall at Sheffield Arena on Saturday.

Jones, 31, the world light-heavyweight champion, who outpointed Woodhall, of Telford, in the 1988 Olympic semi-final in Seoul, is now a free agent after leaving promoter Murad Muhammad.

Frank ******, who promotes Calzaghe and Woodhall, said Saturday's winner could be looking at a fight with Jones next year. Jones's preference, says ******, is for Calzaghe because the Welsh southpaw, 28, has won all his 29 fights.

****** said Jones has not signed a new deal with the American television giant HBO, which would allow a fight with Calzaghe on Showtime, with whom ****** has a working relationship.

What's this?

All this is, is COULD, and POSSIBLY etc. There's nothing here!

Roy was out of contract. So potentially a fight may have been on the horizon.

Frank says the winner COULD be looking at a shot next year.

What happened after these statements?


Roy re-signed with HBO, and went onto work with Murad again, a little later.

Also, all of this, was a year after he'd said "I'm not chasing Roy Jones, I don't want tough fights!" Ha!

Last edited by Loudon; 11-02-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Loudon is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:47 AM   #565
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SS Enterprise
Posts: 2,913
vCash: 500
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
Antonio Tarver
Jones, who was 0-3 in his last 3 fights, was the opponent that Calzaghe wanted after he beat Lacy. It was ONLY after that fight fell apart, due to money issues, that he started to talk about Tarver again. (As if Tarver was going to leave HBO to fight on Showtime)


7 Mar 06
Boxing: Calzaghe closing on Jones bout in summer.
Quote:
Promoter Frank ****** is working towards making the Welshman's next fight for Saturday, July 8 - and intends one of his superstar rivals to be in the opposite corner.

Calzaghe's stock has sky-rocketed following his sensational points win over Jeff Lacy in Manchester on Sunday morning to unify the WBO IBF world super-middleweight titles.

****** said: "We are looking at July next for Joe and I believe the ideal opponent would be Roy Jones - who is the biggest name out there and I am sure Joe would do a job on him.

"But Joe will take a break, then we will sit down and decide where he goes from here."
13 Mar 06
Boxing: Calzaghe ready for dream tilt at Jones.
Quote:
JOE CALZAGHE'S dream of a shot at ring legend Roy Jones Jnr will move closer to reality later this month.

Manager and promoter Frank ****** is to meet Jones' lawyer, Jim Thomas, in the hope of finally bringing the two men together.
16 Apr 06
Boxing: YOU'RE GREEDY, JUNIOR; Calzaghe hits out at legend Roy.

Quote:
JOE CALZAGHE Joe Calzaghe . has accused modern boxing legend Roy Jones Jnr of demanding too much money for their long overdue fight.

Calzaghe stunned the American boxing world last month with a faultless fault·less
display against previously unbeaten Jeff Lacy Jeffrey Scott Lacy in front of 15,000 fans in Manchester.

Tarver is now the top of Calzaghe's list, but the Welshman is honest enough to admit that the tricky American is not the most exciting boxer of all time.

Calzaghe said: "Tarver is not a good fighter to watch but he's an excellent boxer. I think he's one of the best out there.

"If it can be done that would be a massive fight, but he will ask for a fortune."

Tarver defends his world light-heavyweight title against former undisputed middleweight champion Bernard Hopkins in Atlantic City in June.

Either way he could of fought Tarver instead of shot Jones


08
Quote:
IBF light-heavyweight world champion Antonio Tarver has joined the list of fighters courting Joe Calzaghe Joe Calzaghe , claiming he is willing to fight the Welshman "wherever he wants".
Boxing: Best of US line up for a shot at Calzaghe
general zod is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:51 AM   #566
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SS Enterprise
Posts: 2,913
vCash: 500
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
As there are better things to do like watching football I'll keep this short and simple
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]



Frankie Liles?
Chad Dawson?

22 4 08
Quote:
Calzaghe moved up from super-middleweight to defeat Bernard Hopkins at the weekend and while no official title was at stake, his victory has propelled him to the summit of the division.

Legendary four-weight world champion Roy Jones Jr is currently Calzaghe's most likely opponent for his next and most likely final fight - possibly to be held at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium - with the American proposing a lucrative showdown in Britain.

Undisputed middleweight king Kelly Pavlik, WBC champion Chad Dawson and a rematch with Hopkins have also been mooted.
Boxing: Best of US line up for a shot at Calzaghe.
general zod is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:55 AM   #567
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SS Enterprise
Posts: 2,913
vCash: 500
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
Though this part isn't relevant, I though it's worth adding in

Don't forget one of your favourite fighters had the chance to face Calzaghe with a date set at the Millenium stadium, and turned it down

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

He wanted Toney to drop from HW to smw? What a brave man Calzaghe is
Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
You realise you're sounding more ridiculous with each post.
Lets think about this.

I made a point that Calzaghe missed every decent southpaw around. Your whole response was basically one long exercise in misdirection.

-You make claims without providing sources
Bute said he wasn't ready?
Making a fight with Beyer(99) was impossible?

-Constantly trying to shift the focus off of Calzaghe and on to his opponents.
Calzaghe dismissed Bute outright and your repsonse is to say Bute never made any offers. What about Calzaghe's lack of offers?

-Selective use of dates
Lets just ignore the fact that Calzaghe could of fought Tarver in 08

-strange logic
Calzaghe beat Kessler who beat Beyer?
The reason why fighters don't like southpaws is because their punches come at angles they are not used to. How on earth is beating a orthodox fighter, who beat a southpaw, relevant in any way?


So I will ask the following questions:

1: Is Calzaghe's reason for refusing to fight Bute reasonable to you, and if yes why?
2: Do you think shot Jones was a better opponent that Tarver or Dawson?
3: Why was a fight with Liles not viable?
general zod is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:02 AM   #568
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SS Enterprise
Posts: 2,913
vCash: 500
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Reader View Post
I would have loved to see Joe test himself against an elite southpaw... Tarver in 04 after the KO of Jones would have been a great time... Tarver had a huge name, would have been a great way for Joe to make a name for himself in America..
Joe C still had a fear of flying back then and Tarver did not want to go to Wales.

I would favor Tarver by a small margin, although I think Dawson would of clearly beaten Calzaghe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Reader View Post
But I guess since Hopkins would later beat Tarver(poison aside, the worst Tarver I had ever seen), and Joe would later edge Hopkins, that negates that interesting clash of styles between Calzaghe and Tarver.
Tarver had picked up the IBF belt by the time Calzaghe had beaten Hopkins and was calling for a fight with Calzaghe. He could of fought Tarver instead of shot "steroids won't help you" Jones
general zod is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:03 AM   #569
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SS Enterprise
Posts: 2,913
vCash: 500
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
I don't think Tarver would have fought him. He lost his title to Johnson and had to go through a rematch, whilst trying to get the rubber match with Jones. Not long after he lost to Hopkins and the rest is history
You have no idea what you are talking about
Please stop boxrecing
general zod is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:10 AM   #570
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SS Enterprise
Posts: 2,913
vCash: 500
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
It's one thing to drum up a list of names, but you can't accuse Calzaghe every time, we know boxing is business and it doesn't work like that
The only fight that was never made because of failed negotiations was the Beyer fight.

Anyway as it stands:

Liles?
Liles was good and Calzaghe did not like to face good fighters:
Quote:
"I'm not chasing after Roy Jones. Be honest, Roy Jones is a good fighter and I don't want tough fights, I just want big money. "I just want to make sure I never have to work again."
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Tarver?
Could of fought him instead of Jones

Dawson?
Could of fought him after Kessler
Could of fought him instead of Jones

Bute?
Dismissed him outright. Bute is not a big name

Vanderpool?
Pulled out of two fights and basically ignored him after that

Beyer?
Beyer's teams claim warr.en was making lowball offers, which he is was, because Showtime were not interested in that fight
SKy could not have been very interested either, they would drop Calzaghe soon after

Quote:
And what Joe fails to mention is I stuck by him for years when TV companies wanted to dump him — and some did.

At different times in his career, Showtime and Sky — especially after stinkers against Rick Thornberry and David Starrie (which weren’t his fault as they didn’t come to fight) — and more recently ITV, made a derisory offer for the Kessler fight.

Back then the only way I could get him on air was to piggy-back deals made for Ricky Hatton and Amir Khan.
If you lose Joe, it's all your fault

So my point still stands he missed every decent southpaw in every division he faced
general zod is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013