Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


View Poll Results: Who would win?
JC UD 7 53.85%
JC T/KO 1 7.69%
Draw 0 0%
CD UD 4 30.77%
CD T/KO 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 06:13 PM   #1
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 17,263
vCash: 1000
Default Calzaghe v. Dawson - who would win, if they fought each other next?

Decebal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2008, 03:46 AM   #2
Sardu
RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,746
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Calzaghe v. Dawson - who would win, if they fought each other next?

Calzaghe is great but older and smaller than Dawson. Kessler was slightly larger and obviously younger and JC beat him convincingly and impressively. However, 'Bad' Chad brings a more varied skill set to the table than does Kessler. I look for Dawson to win most of the rounds in a close and fairly competitive but convincing decision win. I don't think Calzaghe has the power at this weight to affect Dawson and Dawson is just as fast.

Dawson UD 12 Calzaghe
Sardu is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:48 AM   #3
Boro chris
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now.
Posts: 5,142
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Calzaghe v. Dawson - who would win, if they fought each other next?

I'd go with youth on this one and pick Dawson by ud.
He's physically superior in all those depts but stamina.
Calzaghe is a tricky fighter though and would give him hell when the pace begins to drop with his combo punching, Dawson should win most of the earlier rounds however.
Boro chris is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:00 AM   #4
slicksouthpaw16
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Somewhere gone off dat lean!
Posts: 945
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Calzaghe v. Dawson - who would win, if they fought each other next?

I agree with above posters. Dawson has the advantage in power, size, and is just as fast as Calzaghe is. Plus is the better tecnically sound pure boxer and puts more behind his punches where as Calzaghe kind of slaps. I think that this fight would be a close hard fight but i see Dawson winning a clear decision.
slicksouthpaw16 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:11 PM   #5
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 17,263
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Calzaghe v. Dawson - who would win, if they fought each other next?

I invite you gentlemen to partake in this debate!
Decebal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:16 PM   #6
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,044
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Calzaghe v. Dawson - who would win, if they fought each other next?

Is Dawson going to be the man at 175?
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:19 PM   #7
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 17,263
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Calzaghe v. Dawson - who would win, if they fought each other next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
Is Dawson going to be the man at 175?
He is already, I would say! Johnson and Diaconu will prove that. There's little competition.
Decebal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:33 PM   #8
jc
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 6,536
vCash: 419
Default Re: Calzaghe v. Dawson - who would win, if they fought each other next?

We cant just pro claim him as the man at 175, he hasnt done anything that Hopkins, Erdei, green or Woods havnt done. He is still a young belt holder let him prove that he is top dog...
jc is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:43 PM   #9
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 17,263
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Calzaghe v. Dawson - who would win, if they fought each other next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc
We cant just pro claim him as the man at 175, he hasnt done anything that Hopkins, Erdei, green or Woods havnt done. He is still a young belt holder let him prove that he is top dog...
Sure, they achieved much more...Hopkins is a legend...but that was then...this is now...I accept I'm on a limb on this one, but he looks the part, doesn't he? He'll have the opportunity to confirm my impression in his next two fights.
Decebal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:59 PM   #10
jc
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 6,536
vCash: 419
Default Re: Calzaghe v. Dawson - who would win, if they fought each other next?

Looking good means pretty much **** all until we see the actual evidence. hopkins beat Tarver and Winky more recently, which is more impressive than Adamak, and Woods has already beat Glen Johnson and has Tarver up next, while Dawson has only just signed to fight Geln Johnson, at this stage he is still a step behind even Clinton Woods.

and if Erdei and Green fight I dont think we can automatically assume Dawson is better than the winner of that.

Its still guess work at this stage for Chad Dawson, he could be another David ried, or Jeff Lacy...
jc is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #11
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 17,263
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Calzaghe v. Dawson - who would win, if they fought each other next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc
Looking good means pretty much **** all until we see the actual evidence. hopkins beat Tarver and Winky more recently, which is more impressive than Adamak, and Woods has already beat Glen Johnson and has Tarver up next, while Dawson has only just signed to fight Geln Johnson, at this stage he is still a step behind even Clinton Woods.

and if Erdei and Green fight I dont think we can automatically assume Dawson is better than the winner of that.

Its still guess work at this stage for Chad Dawson, he could be another David ried, or Jeff Lacy...
Only thing that can really let Dawson down, imo, is his chin. If that gets exposed by a puncher like Diaconu, they'll all go for broke trying to stop him.

I disagree, however, that Hopkins looked more impressive in his last fight than Dawson did, in his. And Hopkins is only getting worse, whereas Dawson is getting better. Same goes for Woods...

So...by the end of the year, if it all goes to plan, Dawson will be the man in everyone's eyes. We'll see.

Also, it's a bit strange to say he'll end up like a Lacy. Lacy never had elite-level fundamentals, like Dawson does...he never had the same kind of talent...big difference, I think.
Decebal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:16 PM   #12
slicksouthpaw16
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Somewhere gone off dat lean!
Posts: 945
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Calzaghe v. Dawson - who would win, if they fought each other next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc
Looking good means pretty much **** all until we see the actual evidence. hopkins beat Tarver and Winky more recently, which is more impressive than Adamak, and Woods has already beat Glen Johnson and has Tarver up next, while Dawson has only just signed to fight Geln Johnson, at this stage he is still a step behind even Clinton Woods.

and if Erdei and Green fight I dont think we can automatically assume Dawson is better than the winner of that.

Its still guess work at this stage for Chad Dawson, he could be another David ried, or Jeff Lacy...
David Reid or Jeff Lacy? I dont think so. Lacy was an overrated power puncher with overrated power. Dawson has all of the tools. Power, skill, handspeed, ring generalship, combinations ect but the only thing that he has to do now is prove his chin. If his chin is good, then the sky will be the limit and i really dont know who could hang with this kid.
slicksouthpaw16 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:25 PM   #13
slicksouthpaw16
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Somewhere gone off dat lean!
Posts: 945
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Calzaghe v. Dawson - who would win, if they fought each other next?

Dawson should be fight Diaconu if he gets past johnson so his chin will be proven there.
slicksouthpaw16 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:29 PM   #14
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 17,263
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Calzaghe v. Dawson - who would win, if they fought each other next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksouthpaw16
Dawson should be fight Diaconu if he gets past johnson so his chin will be proven there.
Dawson WILL be fighting Diaconu if he gets past Johnson and if Diaconu gets past Henry, if Dawson wants to hang on to the belt...he has 120 days to defend after [Diaconu] becomes Interim Champ. And I think, you're right: Diaconu will apply pressure and test that chin, if it's the last thing that he does, let's hope. And Dawson, for his part, will show Diaconu what it's like to be in there with an excellent boxer with elite skills....Which as a fan of both Dawson and Diaconu, I will be very happy to witness.

Both will come out of this fight knowing much more about themselves. Good for boxing, this fight!
Decebal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:40 PM   #15
slicksouthpaw16
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Somewhere gone off dat lean!
Posts: 945
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Calzaghe v. Dawson - who would win, if they fought each other next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decebal
Dawson WILL be fighting Diaconu if he gets past Johnson and if Diaconu gets past Henry, if Dawson wants to hang on to the belt...he has 120 days to defend after [Diaconu] becomes Interim Champ. And I think, you're right: Diaconu will apply pressure and test that chin, if it's the last thing that he does, let's hope. And Dawson, for his part, will show Diaconu what it's like to be in there with an excellent boxer with elite skills....Which as a fan of both Dawson and Diaconu, I will be very happy to witness.

Both will come out of this fight knowing much more about themselves. Good for boxing, this fight!
I agree 100%
slicksouthpaw16 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013