Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


View Poll Results: Louis versus Frazier
Louis Decision 15 6 13.04%
Louis KO 29 63.04%
Frazier Decision 15 2 4.35%
Frazier KO 9 19.57%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,261
vCash: 1000
Default Louis - Frazier... Battle of the Joes

Schmeling II Louis versus FOTC Frazier... or whatever version you prefer of the respective fighters as peak.

A heady mix of styles here. How would these styles interact? How would the physical capabilities of each boxer control the manner in which the fight played out? This is much more than a who beat who match-up.
Seamus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2012, 04:54 AM   #2
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: East Midlands in England
Posts: 3,940
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Louis - Frazier... Battle of the Joes

Louis could land the kind of punches that you couldn't recover from - that could instantly end the fight and Frazier could be hit and was regularly rattled - Frazier didn't have that type of one punch power and Louis always seemed to recover quick when he was hurt - with Fraziers style I think he would be a sitting duck for someone as clinical as Louis - I think Louis' lightning handspeed would be very bad for Frazier and also too much variety for Frazier - although Louis himself alluded to the fact that he didn't like pressure fighters who crowded him he didn't do too bad for himself all things considered did he? Louis just too good in all areas for Frazier - Louis by TKO
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:33 AM   #3
Andrei00
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Romania
Posts: 373
vCash: 460
Default Re: Louis - Frazier... Battle of the Joes

I actually believe Frazier wins this, probably KO.
Andrei00 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: England
Posts: 2,787
vCash: 500
Default Re: Louis - Frazier... Battle of the Joes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockysSplitNose View Post
Louis could land the kind of punches that you couldn't recover from - that could instantly end the fight and Frazier could be hit and was regularly rattled - Frazier didn't have that type of one punch power and Louis always seemed to recover quick when he was hurt - with Fraziers style I think he would be a sitting duck for someone as clinical as Louis - I think Louis' lightning handspeed would be very bad for Frazier and also too much variety for Frazier - although Louis himself alluded to the fact that he didn't like pressure fighters who crowded him he didn't do too bad for himself all things considered did he? Louis just too good in all areas for Frazier - Louis by TKO
Well what about the FOTC. Not only did Frazier prove he carried is power right till the end of the fight, but nearly KOed Ali, a man with one of the greatest chins in boxing.

The thing is with Frazier in fantasy match ups, his awkward sloppy head movement is so unlike anyone else's (Qawi and Armstrong to an extent, but they both had very big differences as well) that it's damn near impossible to assume how one would be able to react and box against it. Ali struggled against it and Foreman battered the living shit out of him.

I honestly think Louis struggles really bad in a one off fight against Frazier and may be open to a big left hook down the line, especially in a 15 rounder and if it's anything like the 15th round FOTC left hook, then there's no way Louis is taking it and getting back up.

In a series, I'd expect Louis to adapt to Frazier's style and unless he was 100% for all 3 fights Louis would get the better of him I the last 2 having suffered defeat in the first.
Webbiano is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #5
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London,England
Posts: 9,274
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Louis - Frazier... Battle of the Joes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Schmeling II Louis versus FOTC Frazier... or whatever version you prefer of the respective fighters as peak.

A heady mix of styles here. How would these styles interact? How would the physical capabilities of each boxer control the manner in which the fight played out? This is much more than a who beat who match-up.


If Louis catches Frazier early,he could knock him out within three rounds. The longer it went,I'd fancy Smoke's chances of weathering several storms and stopping the Brown Bomber late in the proceedings.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salisbury, MD
Posts: 3,881
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Louis - Frazier... Battle of the Joes

My 3 favorite HW's are all named Joe....I think Joe's pressure keeps Joe from feeling comfortable and from being able to fight his fight.

I like Joe by decision or late stoppage!
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 9,412
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Louis - Frazier... Battle of the Joes

Louis by KO
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
DDDUUDDDEE
Undisputed Ambien (taker)
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,809
vCash: 500
Default Re: Louis - Frazier... Battle of the Joes

Louis early or Frazier late. It all depends on how Frazier takes Louis' power early, and if Louis can catch him consistently. Call me crazy, but in a 15 rounder I don't see this fight going to the cards.
DDDUUDDDEE is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #9
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois USA
Posts: 13,559
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Louis - Frazier... Battle of the Joes

I like Frazier. Louis could have won the fight no doubt, and might have reaked serious havock on the inside with those combos. But Smoke's handspeed, upper body movement, power, workrate and that vicious left hook would have been a lot to contend with. Louis didn't like left hooks either, and was stunned or dropped by a few of them in his time.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #10
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: East Midlands in England
Posts: 3,940
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Louis - Frazier... Battle of the Joes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbiano View Post
Well what about the FOTC. Not only did Frazier prove he carried is power right till the end of the fight, but nearly KOed Ali, a man with one of the greatest chins in boxing.

The thing is with Frazier in fantasy match ups, his awkward sloppy head movement is so unlike anyone else's (Qawi and Armstrong to an extent, but they both had very big differences as well) that it's damn near impossible to assume how one would be able to react and box against it. Ali struggled against it and Foreman battered the living shit out of him.

I honestly think Louis struggles really bad in a one off fight against Frazier and may be open to a big left hook down the line, especially in a 15 rounder and if it's anything like the 15th round FOTC left hook, then there's no way Louis is taking it and getting back up.

In a series, I'd expect Louis to adapt to Frazier's style and unless he was 100% for all 3 fights Louis would get the better of him I the last 2 having suffered defeat in the first.
You say what about the FOTC but that fight kind of backs up what what I say it took Frazier 15 rounds of full on pressure grinding Ali down and then an exhausted Ali (who was always made for Fraziers hook) before he could drop Ali and Ali was up again within 3 seconds? Same with, say, Jimmy Ellis he had to hook away again and again and finally he loaded up with everything he had and laid Ellis out but then Ellis was back to finish the round - I don't think he 'nearly ko'd Ali either - I don't think Ali was really close to ko'd he was simply spent and had his hands brushes aside and got clipped bang on - he looked more annoyed at himself for getting caught so cleanly - plus Frazier bobbing and bobbing I don't think was as effective as everyone thinks - he still go nailed regularly while doing it - I would go as far to say a lot o I was wasted energy - it wasnt like he was watching the shots start and then timing them and slipping them or bobbing under them - mostly it was like he was blindly bobbing away come what may almost like he was thinking if I just keep bobbing away most of the shots are going to miss me hopefully - but if you watch the fights he's still walking blindly into a lot of shots - to me he takes more on the top I the head than he actual happens to bob away from - and I just don't think you can fight that way against a killer puncher and accurate puncher like Louis?
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #11
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: West Midlands, UK
Posts: 7,189
vCash: 500
Default Re: Louis - Frazier... Battle of the Joes

Frazier could be hit and Louis could catch him coming in, Louis one of the best combination punchers and finishers of all time.

But Louis footwork (IMO) is quite poor, i cant see how hed cope with Fraziers constant pressure.

I cant really decide on a winner.
Azzer85 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #12
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 13,470
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Louis - Frazier... Battle of the Joes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei00 View Post
I actually believe Frazier wins this, probably KO.
You cannot walk into the greatest two handed puncher of all time and beat him.

Louis early KO
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #13
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 13,470
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Louis - Frazier... Battle of the Joes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
I like Frazier. Louis could have won the fight no doubt, and might have reaked serious havock on the inside with those combos. But Smoke's handspeed, upper body movement, power, workrate and that vicious left hook would have been a lot to contend with. Louis didn't like left hooks either, and was stunned or dropped by a few of them in his time.
One of your oddest predictions I have seen. You talk about frazier's handspeed, power, left hook...but fail to mention Louis was the far superior two handed puncher, hit harder, much better finisher, and had faster hands. Just blew frazier away when it comes to offensive skillset/versatility. Frazier will be walking right into Louis' artillery zone. Frazier is going to get demolished. You cannot walk into the greatest puncher of all time and beat him. Louis a sucker for left hooks? What about Frazier's inability to avoid good right hands/uppercuts?
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #14
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,261
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Louis - Frazier... Battle of the Joes

I knew that folks would bring up Frazier taking Ali late and dropping him, but Ali did not make Frazier pay the price like Louis would. Again, it's about styles here not who has the better top victory. Frazier could sting Louis but Louis could, and I believe would, put Smokin' out for the count.
Seamus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #15
Rider51
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
Default Re: Louis - Frazier... Battle of the Joes

Louis early by KO. Or a close decision if Frazier survives early, and doesn't get badly hurt. If he were hurt early in any round Louis would have probably finished him.
Rider51 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013