Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 09-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
Smoggy7188
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Graham Earl is making a comeback?

Fighting Ricky Godding on the 10th October apparently.
Smoggy7188 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Graham Earl is making a comeback?

Please say it ain't so?
This is a guy who could get genuinely hurt.
Don't do it Graham
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

If guys like Hatton & haye who are sensible witty guys who have made bucketloads of cash & could live a comfortable life outside the ring cant help themselves but step into the ring once more should we really be shocked when someone who hasnt been blessed with a flashy flash career & mouthwatering paydays to boot keeps coming back one last time?

Its sad, but its boxing. No point getting upset about it!
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty View Post
If guys like Hatton & haye who are sensible witty guys who have made bucketloads of cash & could live a comfortable life outside the ring cant help themselves but step into the ring once more should we really be shocked when someone who hasnt been blessed with a flashy flash career & mouthwatering paydays to boot keeps coming back one last time?

Its sad, but its boxing. No point getting upset about it!
Hatton may have retired, (Hay never did), but it's not like was in free fall decline before he quit. It's possible he might have something left, even at a reasonable level

Earl has been absolutely ruined for over five years and has nothing to offer whatsoever. Katsidis beat him so bad he was still dazed when he fought Khan, and has not been the same since.

Graham Earl coming back is possibly the worst idea ever.

BTW, Hatton is not witty.
Claypole is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
Baxt

No,your're mixing him up with Junior Witty!!
Baxt is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

Remember he got stopped in a round by an English title level fighter and then there was talk of a Katsidis rematch
ishy is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #7
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypole View Post
Hatton may have retired, (Hay never did), but it's not like was in free fall decline before he quit. It's possible he might have something left, even at a reasonable level

Earl has been absolutely ruined for over five years and has nothing to offer whatsoever. Katsidis beat him so bad he was still dazed when he fought Khan, and has not been the same since.

Graham Earl coming back is possibly the worst idea ever.

BTW, Hatton is not witty.
Claypole my good man... dont shoot the messenger. Im only saying as a hardcore boxing fan now reaching 40 years young, when you follow boxing you have to leave standards and morals behind, & just bloody admit to yourself that you follow a brilliant but brutal sport.

In a perfect world? Boxers would make some good money, retire unscathed & live happily ever after. It isnt a perfect world though. If you plan to follow boxing for the long term like I do? You have to be prepared for crushing lows and heartaches to go along with the massive highs of one of your favourite fighters winning a big fight.

Im not saying let earl come back & dont have a moan, Im just saying as boxing fans we have to be realistic, & realise the sport we love chews people up & spits them out most times. As a boxing fan nowadays I have learned just to accept it for what it is, the fighters are grown men who have chosen this path & we just have to accept it.

For instance, you make an argument about Hatton maybe having something left, I could easily argue back he didnt, after all people were genuinely worried the man was badly hurt when he lay prone on the canvas. I could tell you he should never come back after a scare like that, but this is the sport we have chosen, you just have to go with the flow & accept its the greatest sport in the world when you see a classic fight, & its the worst sport in the world when at the end of a classic fight? Something goes badly wrong.

Being a boxing fan is a roller-coaster ride, & you just have to accept that its going to be a mixture of massive highs & lows. No-one can predict who will retire with their faculties intact, & who will be the victim of a life changing injury sadly enough.

Im not being cold-hearted, just being realistic. Put it this way, I still wont watch Benn-McClellan or Eubank-watson documentaries cos I feel so bad about watching those fights live at the time, & being crazed with excitement at the fight endings. They still haunt me to that extent, but its either walk away from the sport altogether cos its so brutal, or you just admit to yourself you are a fan of at times the cruelest of sports, & get on with it.

As for Hatton being witty? On the subject I used to hate the man, saw him as a smug little overhyped git back in the day, & when Pac blitzed him? I was listening on the radio(couldnt get a feed back then) & was jumping in the air with delight until the commentaor mentioned he was in a bad way. ****in killed my happiness in an instant, & i immediately went from being overjoyed to feeling like an utter cunt in a split second. I went from being overjoyed at the lad being sparked to simpy releived & glad that Ricky was OK.

From then on, I finally realized boxing is a cruel bastard of a sport, & as a fan you have to keep your sensible head on at all times, cos you never know whats around the corner.

Now its just like the old days on brit ESB for a short while, Scotty Harrison is back, & Ricky Hatton too. It probably wont last, but I just hope the two old campaigners come back strong, give us some fights to remember & get out OK. In an ideal world Scotty & Ricky would just stay away, but they are here now & like Earl? We can do **** all about it & just enjoy the spectacle. Its what this gladiatoral sport insists of us!

Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 12:54 AM   #8
ant-man
ant
ESB Addict

Cometh the hour, cometh the duke.
ant-man is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 02:20 AM   #9
destruction
Contender
ESB Senior Member

The guy now speaks like someone who has had 10 pints of stella washed down with 4 shots of whiskey. Punch drunk isnt in it. I guess he has no other way to pay the bills and this is all he knows.
destruction is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 02:45 AM   #10
beecho1988
Contender
ESB Senior Member

sad to see but thats boxing just hope he dosent get hurt
beecho1988 is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 04:16 AM   #11
Dragon Punch
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Sad to hear that.
If he gets a licence then I suppose not much can be said - just keep him off tv so we don't have to watch it imo.
Dragon Punch is online now  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 04:43 AM   #12
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 81

Has the board give him a license? If they have then its poor form, boxers like Earl need protecting from themselves, as harsh as it is, It won't stop him because I'm sure he will just go down the Danny Williams route and pick up a license elsewhere but at least it's sending out a message that fighting on dangerously will no't be encouraged.

They should do the same with Enzo, it may be harsh but its needs to be done, boxing isn't fun to watch when you spend the entire fight worrying if the next punch that lands could do unrepairable damage. It's no longer a sport when becomes like that.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 04:50 AM   #13
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

I agree.

The Board should have a ''not on our watch'' kinda attitude.

If they decide to fight elsewhere or on the unlicensed circuit, that's their choice. They know the risks.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 05:12 AM   #14
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 81

I don't quite know how the board can deem him fit to fight? They might argue that he's passed all of his medical and there is nothing stopping him?

Surely that's when common sense plays a part?

It has to be a factor.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2012, 07:34 AM   #15
Makingweight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Agree with those that say the board should turn down his application for a license for those who say it may be financial what would he be looking at getting at his level 2-4k tops?

If he were to go the unlicensed route well there is nothing anyone can do about it he had a very decent career is he fit to fight listening to him no some people really do need saving from themselves.
Makingweight is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum