Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 10-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
mrplow182
Seasoned Veteran
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Just how good was Lennox Lewis' jab.....

I'm inclined to say he had one of the best jabs in British boxing - ever.

What do you reckon?
mrplow182 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
StWerburghs
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1673
Default Re: Just how good was Lennox Lewis' jab.....

In BRITISH boxing?...sure, why not!!
StWerburghs is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
lordgore
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1176

I'd say boxing in general to be fair,great,great Jab.
lordgore is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
richie bee
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I think Lennox's jab in his first reign as world champ was over rated, remember the build up to the Bruno fight when sky were saying ' fastest jab since ali' then Bruno comes out and out jabs him for six round, I think with Lennox he just had a great all round ability, whilst some boxers may just throw great jabs or bodyshots or knockout punch lennox was a complete package with is very rare with little vulnerabilities
richie bee is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
BodyBlaster
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1090

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie bee View Post
I think Lennox's jab in his first reign as world champ was over rated, remember the build up to the Bruno fight when sky were saying ' fastest jab since ali' then Bruno comes out and out jabs him for six round, I think with Lennox he just had a great all round ability, whilst some boxers may just throw great jabs or bodyshots or knockout punch lennox was a complete package with is very rare with little vulnerabilities
Was a good jab, but certainly not a great one. Bruno controlled their battle of the jabs, I felt Mercer was able to jab with him too. However, if you took away Lewis jab, you took away everything else, but if he could establish the jab, he was dominant as the right hand bombs started to follow

Holmes had a great jab, Liston had a great jab, Bowe even when he could be bothered to use it had a great jab, Lewis had a good jab, just a level below those ones for me.
BodyBlaster is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

He knocked his debut opponent out with a jab. That doesn't happen very often. I think the last time I saw it was...ah, yes, Ze Bulgarian Liston.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 01:21 AM   #7
Earl-hickey
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 765

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyBlaster View Post
Was a good jab, but certainly not a great one. Bruno controlled their battle of the jabs, I felt Mercer was able to jab with him too. However, if you took away Lewis jab, you took away everything else, but if he could establish the jab, he was dominant as the right hand bombs started to follow

Holmes had a great jab, Liston had a great jab, Bowe even when he could be bothered to use it had a great jab, Lewis had a good jab, just a level below those ones for me.
how comes Bruno took away Lewis' jab and got smashed to bits for his trouble then?
Earl-hickey is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 05:45 AM   #8
BodyBlaster
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl-hickey View Post
how comes Bruno took away Lewis' jab and got smashed to bits for his trouble then?
Cos he did what Bruno always did, walked onto some huge punches and didnt know what to do to survive. The first 5 or 6 rounds Bruno was in charge, with his jab the primary reason for it.Any further questions??
Old 10-07-2012, 05:52 AM   #9
Earl-hickey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Cos he did what Bruno always did, walked onto some huge punches and didnt know what to do to survive. The first 5 or 6 rounds Bruno was in charge, with his jab the primary reason for it.Any further questions??
yeah but you just said that if you take away lewis' jab you take away everything

so it don't make no sense, see
Old 10-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #10
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

He was a brilliant jabber - but as others have said, the best way to try and nullify it was to jab with him, which isn't too common.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 06:24 AM   #11
Michael300
Fighting back.....
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I remember watching the Bruno/Lewis fight live, my best friends family owned a pub and they did a lock-in for us.

They put on a buffet and we all put some money in a pot before time was called to cover drinks, the main event didn't start till past midnight for American TV.

It was a great fight, such a big event, and for the first half it very much lived up the hype, I remember most of us watching felt Bruno was winning quite easily and that he was actually a cert!

Then BOOM! Lewis finished him, it was over so quickly, literally seconds from Bruno being in control to being stopped.

Anyway............

Lewis and his jab.

Not the best IMO, but compared to what we have now it was like a bloody ramrod.

I agree that although it was good, he was out-jabbed quite convincingly by others at times, so for me that means his wasn't one of the best.

Now, his overhand right, that was a different matter!
Michael300 is online now  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #12
BodyBlaster
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
yeah but you just said that if you take away lewis' jab you take away everything

so it don't make no sense, see
No, it makes perfect sense.
Lewis primary weapon was the jab. He wasnt effective if he didnt land it in high numbers. Check the difference from Rahman 1 and 2 for reference.
Bruno was winning comfortably, as without Lewis landing his jab, his timing and distance were off, and his right hand not landing.
But its heavyweight boxing, and one big punch changed everything.
It doesnt change the fact as all, that everything Lewis did well, came off of his jab.
Go watch what happens when he cant establish it, Rahman 1, Bruno, Mercer and Vital.
Now, can you have seen Bruno controlling Ali or Holmes with the jab??? Case closed. You may go now!
Old 10-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #13
Earl-hickey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Lewis primary weapon was the jab. He wasnt effective if he didnt land it in high numbers. Check the difference from Rahman 1 and 2 for reference.
Bruno was winning comfortably, as without Lewis landing his jab, his timing and distance were off, and his right hand not landing.
It doesnt change the fact as all, that everything Lewis did well, came off of his jab.
Go watch what happens when he cant establish it, Rahman 1, Bruno, Mercer and Vital.
Now, can you have seen Bruno controlling Ali or Holmes with the jab??? Case closed. You may go now!
so Lewis knocked Bruno out without his jab

Then he must have had something without the jab
Old 10-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #14
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
so Lewis knocked Bruno out without his jab

Then he must have had something without the jab
That is pre crisis Lennox Lewis.

Lennox Lewis during that fight gradually upped the gears, and from what i can remember. His jab when it landed, was thudding and destructive. Pre crisis Lennox Lewis was inclined to throw hooks, and bombs, very rarely did he statistical break down his opponents using his jab.

Lennox Lewis beat the best Version of Frank Bruno ever! Both physically and technically.
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #15
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Frank Bruno was not winning comfortable, if it was a amateur fight he may of been ahead on the points. But Lennox Lewis as the fight continued was upping the gears and hurting Frank Bruno.

Plus it was pre crisis Lennox Lewis.

The yanks wanted Lennox Lewis out of the picture that much, he was paid to step aside so Evander Holyfield could fight Mike Tyson. And they made Lennox Lewis to agree, to fighting in a small ring against Ray Mercer.

Lennox Lewis went ape shit against Ray Mercer, and ended his career affectively.
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum