Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
louis3749
Journeyman

vCash: 500
Default Jimmy Wilde vs Benny Lynch

Two of the best flyweights in history, if both were to meet, in their primes for 15 rounds, who would win? Wilde said once that he would've KO'd Benny in a couple of rounds. (Although he had a bit of a bad memory, i.e. not remembering who Benny Lynch was). I see a war, and if Jimmy keeps the pressure on, he could very well make his prediction come true. If not then Benny will carry the rest of the fight to a late stoppage, or SD. What do you guys think?
louis3749 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jimmy Wilde vs Benny Lynch

Interesting match up.

I consider Wilde to be the greater fighter, but I wonder if Lynch might have a stylistic advantage here. Wilde'd style was reactive and depended upon making his opponents miss by narrow margins by subtle movements. Would this be pushing your luck against a complete offensive fighter like Lynch?
janitor is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
Interesting match up.

I consider Wilde to be the greater fighter, but I wonder if Lynch might have a stylistic advantage here. Wilde'd style was reactive and depended upon making his opponents miss by narrow margins by subtle movements. Would this be pushing your luck against a complete offensive fighter like Lynch?
The same could be said of Lynch.

I think Lynch is stronger here and arguably more durable (although Wilde was admittedly only stopped by good punchers way past his best after hundreds of fights and was much smaller and, against Tancy Lee, the towel was thrown in and he was apparently sick) and although he lacks Wilde's famed clout he hit very hard.

On film both are pretty awkward fighters. I'll take Lynch via close decision by simply throwing and landing more than Wilde does and being able to stand up to his bombs. The Wilde of the first Kane fight would arguably be the best choice to go into battle here. Wilde did stand up to heavier men than him in every fight so he holds his own all the way. I don't think his craftiness would allow him to land the bombs he would need to shake Lynch off of his game.

If anyone wants to argue the other way I won't really argue.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis3749 View Post
Two of the best flyweights in history, if both were to meet, in their primes for 15 rounds, who would win? Wilde said once that he would've KO'd Benny in a couple of rounds. (Although he had a bit of a bad memory, i.e. not remembering who Benny Lynch was). I see a war, and if Jimmy keeps the pressure on, he could very well make his prediction come true. If not then Benny will carry the rest of the fight to a late stoppage, or SD. What do you guys think?
Problem being he wasn't a pressure fighter.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
louis3749
Journeyman

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Problem being he wasn't a pressure fighter.
I didn't mean that in-fighting was Jimmy's style. yet for this match-up, i meant that if Jimmy tries for an early k.o. like he predicted, then he would probably be constantly throwing bombs, hoping to find an opening, and finish of Benny. I don't think he would feel out Benny then go for the attack, but hey, i could be wrong.
louis3749 is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

boxing came to it's evolutionary pinnicle by the early 30s and it remained quite safely there untill a visable wane began to be noted as early as the late 50s, but most certainly was there by the 70s.

the Golden Era was just that for a reason, Wilde was fit for any fly or bantam at anytime in Boxing history, but I believe Benny was too Strong, Stylish and just as Hardhitting and Resilent himself, plus the better era as well.

I'd take Benny more than not, but Wilde could see a victory or two in multiple meetings!
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
Vockerman
LightJunior SuperFlyweigt
ESB Full Member

Benny having been in the ring against the massive hitter Peter Kane on two separate occasions and finishing on his feet both times makes me think Jimmy might not get him clean and if he doesn't land a clean shot on the mark, then I think Jimmy loses a decision. It will be a darn good scrap and I would pay to see it for sure! I'm just leaning toward a close and completely competitive decision for Benny Lynch.
Vockerman is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum